Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
Ryann wrote:
Same with Meek though and he got out unscathed.

Different tupes of pitchers, though. Meek gets behind and walks guys but can overpower hitters. Jackson cannot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:00 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Rain costs Greinke another complete game. :evil:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
high mileage wrote:
Rain costs Greinke another complete game. :evil:

Grienke was getting hit in the 7th. After the second run scores, the CG is done as soon as a guy gets on base and a lefty is coming up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Bucfan wrote:
high mileage wrote:
Rain costs Greinke another complete game. :evil:

Grienke was getting hit in the 7th. After the second run scores, the CG is done as soon as a guy gets on base and a lefty is coming up.


He was at 80 pitches, and our bullpen has been a disaster. He would have completed the game unless the Pirates tied it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
Game was lost when Jaramillo had trouble, for some reason, getting a handle on Laroche's throw home. The throw beat the runner easily and was on target but Jaramillo caught the ball on the heel of the mitt and was fighting to get control. He was late putting the tag down, and the runner was safe by about 1/10th of a second.

Jaramillo's difficulty handling the throw made the difference. That was the 3rd and final run for the Royals.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
On the radio side during the rain delay Greg Brown and Steve Blass fielded some phone calls from fans...

It scares me theres so many people that think running a winning organization is just having players on the Major League roster...

A guy called in with some study that showed payrolls of cities smaller than Pittsburgh and how they spent more money and Brown simply reminded them how Washington and Cleveland both have bigger payrolls and are worse than the Pirates...

Some guy called in complaining how Pittsburgh is the tryout team for the rest of baseball and how he would like to have a favorit player here for 10 years or longer...

It scares me that the work in the Minors is going unlooked...I am truly hoping for Neal and Frank to pull this off...A) To have winning baseball in Pittsburgh again, and B) To stick it to these guys who dont get it...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
high mileage wrote:
He was at 80 pitches, and our bullpen has been a disaster. He would have completed the game unless the Pirates tied it.

Thank you, Trey Hillman.

And of course no manager would remove a starter in a 3-2 game, with the go-ahead run being a left-handed hitter, right after the starter gave up another hit.

Grienke was okay today. His "ehhh" performance is exemplified by the low K total. Hillman was not going to lose the game by leaving him out there when he was not at top level. If he was dominating, then sure, but not based on what he was doing today.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:23 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Bucfan wrote:
high mileage wrote:
He was at 80 pitches, and our bullpen has been a disaster. He would have completed the game unless the Pirates tied it.

Thank you, Trey Hillman.

And of course no manager would remove a starter in a 3-2 game, with the go-ahead run being a left-handed hitter, right after the starter gave up another hit.

Grienke was okay today. His "ehhh" performance is exemplified by the low K total. Hillman was not going to lose the game by leaving him out there when he was not at top level. If he was dominating, then sure, but not based on what he was doing today.


Yeah what do I know? I've only watched every single pitch he's thrown in 16 starts this season, and he only has 5 complete games this year.

Lefties aren't fairing much better against him them righties, and we don't really have a lefty-specialist. Greinke's outings have been determined by his pitch count, not his strikeouts.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:29 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
nad69dan wrote:
On the radio side during the rain delay Greg Brown and Steve Blass fielded some phone calls from fans...

It scares me theres so many people that think running a winning organization is just having players on the Major League roster...

A guy called in with some study that showed payrolls of cities smaller than Pittsburgh and how they spent more money and Brown simply reminded them how Washington and Cleveland both have bigger payrolls and are worse than the Pirates...

Some guy called in complaining how Pittsburgh is the tryout team for the rest of baseball and how he would like to have a favorit player here for 10 years or longer...

It scares me that the work in the Minors is going unlooked...I am truly hoping for Neal and Frank to pull this off...A) To have winning baseball in Pittsburgh again, and B) To stick it to these guys who dont get it...

It's because a lot of people don't care about the minor leagues just how the major league team performs.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
high mileage wrote:
Yeah what do I know?

A: More than you.

P.S. Your team lost 2 of 3. I suspect that you too busy worshipping at Grienke's altar to notice that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Tough weekend for McCutchen, too: 0-for-10 (although he K'd only twice). The ball just wasn't dropping in anywhere after he hit it.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:43 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Bucfan wrote:
high mileage wrote:
Yeah what do I know?

A: More than you.

P.S. Your team lost 2 of 3. I suspect that you too busy worshipping at Grienke's altar to notice that.

A: I know more than I know? Ok...?

P.S. They lost 2 of 3 to a better team. And even without Greinke, your offense couldn't crack our crappy bullpen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4240
Location: Zelienople, PA
Our offense often has trouble cracking a bat, much less a bullpen.

That aside, I enjoyed the ride it gave the bullpen yesterday.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
high mileage wrote:
P.S. They lost 2 of 3 to a better team. And even without Greinke, your offense couldn't crack our crappy bullpen.

Yes, of course, 2 2/3 innings is great sample size on which to offer assessment, since the two prior games don't count.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:51 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Bucfan wrote:
high mileage wrote:
P.S. They lost 2 of 3 to a better team. And even without Greinke, your offense couldn't crack our crappy bullpen.

Yes, of course, 2 2/3 innings is great sample size on which to offer assessment, since the two prior games don't count.

Greinke didn't pitch the prior two games, now did he?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
high mileage wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
high mileage wrote:
P.S. They lost 2 of 3 to a better team. And even without Greinke, your offense couldn't crack our crappy bullpen.

Yes, of course, 2 2/3 innings is great sample size on which to offer assessment, since the two prior games don't count.

Greinke didn't pitch the prior two games, now did he?

Holy shit, I didn't think I would have to explain the basics.

THE BULLPEN DID.

Get it now??


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
And just to explain further to you.

In the two prior games, the Royals pen went 4 2/3 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 earned runs. That works out to an ERA of 5.79.

See, that would not be good.

Get it?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Bucfan wrote:
Holy shit, I didn't think I would have to explain the basics.

THE BULLPEN DID.

Get it now??

Right, but you got butthurt when I said the rain delay cost Greinke a complete game. So we were talking about Greinke, and today's game, not the bullpen or the previous two games.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
high mileage wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Holy shit, I didn't think I would have to explain the basics.

THE BULLPEN DID.

Get it now??

Right, but you got butthurt when I said the rain delay cost Greinke a complete game. So we were talking about Greinke, and today's game, not the bullpen or the previous two games.


The bullpen saved this game for the Royals. I think we were just about to get Greinke on the hook for the loss. The Royals bullpen didn't even up a hit today, our bullpen didn't do too bad either though. Tough game to lose. I would have liked to have seen this game without the rain delay.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: June 28, 2009 Royals (31-42) at Pirates (35-39)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 44
Quote:
"He's one of best in baseball and showed why," Freddy Sanchez said. "He pretty much shut us down."

Greinke wasn't overpowering, yet didn't allow an extra-base hit until Andy LaRoche tripled off the right-field wall during a driving rain in the seventh to score brother Adam LaRoche, who singled. Immediately after Adam LaRoche made it down the muddy third-base line, plate umpire Tom Hallion stopped play.

"It felt like I could throw it wherever I wanted to [for five innings]," said Greinke, who had trouble gripping the ball once a hard rain began falling. "I've pitched in bad weather before, but usually better than that."

"Zack was having a little bit of a problem ... he always takes [the sign] from the set position with the ball in his hand, but in that situation he wasn't able to keep it dry," manager Trey Hillman said.

Greinke, making his first career start against Pittsburgh, allowed two runs or fewer for the 12th time in 16 games.


I would have loved to have seen it without rain as well...


Last edited by high mileage on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits