The Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board
http://pittsburghsports.net/

NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardinals
http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12123
Page 8 of 8

Author:  bucco boy [ Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

The thing that really sucks about it being a blowout is we don't get to complain about getting Hurdled and the idiotic first base umpire who will not only have a job next season, he will get a raise. The only thing I can complain about is our impotent offense the last two games and Melancon's last three weeks of the season. :D

Author:  bucco boy [ Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

beerhunter wrote:
Pedro was thinking long ball during that at bat, hated to see him end the season with a K. He had one helluva postseason.


Actually, he wasn't thinking at all. Because if he was, he would have been expecting curve balls in the dirt. And that didn;t change after strike one or strike two.

Author:  IA Pirate [ Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

There won't be any 2013 season memoirs from me tonight. I'm mentally washed up right now.

Author:  RTJR [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

What is this guy on TBS talking about. The Cards had 3 hits on Cole.

Author:  VanSlick [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

I do wish Hurdle had stuck with Cole for at least another inning. I understood pinch hitting to try to get some offense going, but Cole had gas left.

Oh well.

Author:  Jack Round Tripper [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

I know the game was essentially over at 5-1 in the 8th. But, why in the world did Hurdle pitch to Kozma with Wainright on deck? Obviously, it's a moot point but we were a bloop and a blast away from that 6th run mattering. Imagine if Pedro gets on and Martin goes deep. We'd be calling for Hurdle's head on a platter...at least I would.

Author:  J_C_Steel [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

beerhunter wrote:
Pedro was thinking long ball during that at bat, hated to see him end the season with a K. He had one helluva postseason.


That's the way it had to end.

Author:  Ollie [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

We learned about Hurdle as a playoff manager.

Melançon.. one homerun allowed in seventy innings.. then two in the playoffs.. I was thinking maybe it's because
he's never pitched in playoff baseball, but it's more likely a result of overwork.

MoTownWV said it.. once we were down by two runs I felt there would be no comeback. Wainwright didn't seem as
dominating as Wacha but he's still one of the best. I admire Matheney for allowing him to go the distance.

I watched from a sports bar, enjoyed a lovely quesadilla. This morning my wife asked "Did they lose to the Browns?"

>__<

She always thinks the Pirates play football. I will be going to the Lions-Browns game Sunday so her confusion is
understandable.

Thanks for the entertaining Bucco talk gents.. really enjoyed reading last night's comments.

Author:  MoTownWV [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

VanSlick wrote:
I do wish Hurdle had stuck with Cole for at least another inning. I understood pinch hitting to try to get some offense going, but Cole had gas left.

Oh well.



Just my opinion but I think the decision to pull Cole was more about Hurdle sticking with Burnett too long in Game 1 than it had to do with trying to generate offense.

Author:  MoTownWV [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

bucco boy wrote:
The thing that really sucks about it being a blowout is we don't get to complain about getting Hurdled and the idiotic first base umpire who will not only have a job next season, he will get a raise. The only thing I can complain about is our impotent offense the last two games and Melancon's last three weeks of the season. :D



If you had quoted me Pedro's stat line before the series I would have said no way the Pirate lose the series. Marte and Walker were killers this series.

Author:  NSMaster56 [ Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

Ollie wrote:
MoTownWV said it.. once we were down by two runs I felt there would be no comeback. Wainwright didn't seem as
dominating as Wacha but he's still one of the best. I admire Matheney for allowing him to go the distance.


See, I was the opposite.

Until Shark gave up that HR I thought the Bucs could and would come back.

It's not like they didn't have chances.

In the end, that's what I'll remember most and fondly about these Buccos. They made you believe again.

Author:  SUPERCHARGED APE [ Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

Ollie wrote:
We learned about Hurdle as a playoff manager.

Melançon.. one homerun allowed in seventy innings.. then two in the playoffs.. I was thinking maybe it's because
he's never pitched in playoff baseball, but it's more likely a result of overwork.

MoTownWV said it.. once we were down by two runs I felt there would be no comeback. Wainwright didn't seem as
dominating as Wacha but he's still one of the best. I admire Matheney for allowing him to go the distance.

I watched from a sports bar, enjoyed a lovely quesadilla. This morning my wife asked "Did they lose to the Browns?"

>__<

She always thinks the Pirates play football. I will be going to the Lions-Browns game Sunday so her confusion is
understandable.

Thanks for the entertaining Bucco talk gents.. really enjoyed reading last night's comments.



Melancon started to crack at the end of the regular season, so I think it was the latter if anything.

Author:  Bucfan [ Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

bucco boy wrote:
Actually, he wasn't thinking at all. Because if he was, he would have been expecting curve balls in the dirt.

True.

Because Wainwright is a pussy.

Five run lead and afraid to throw a fastball?

@#$% him. How about your 12th Tommy John surgery, you curve-ball smoking bitch?

I suspect my anger at the Cardinals for the NLDS has not yet dissipated.

Author:  Willton [ Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NLDS Game 5 (2-2): Pittsburgh Pirates @ St. Louis Cardin

Bucfan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Actually, he wasn't thinking at all. Because if he was, he would have been expecting curve balls in the dirt.

True.

Because Wainwright is a pussy.

Five run lead and afraid to throw a fastball?

@#$% him. How about your 12th Tommy John surgery, you curve-ball smoking bitch?

I suspect my anger at the Cardinals for the NLDS has not yet dissipated.

Yeah, damn those pussies for implementing a strategy that worked perfectly against the Pirates. Be a man and let us get some hits!!

Page 8 of 8 All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/