Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: NL Wild Card: Pirates (94-68) vs Reds (90-72)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:47 pm 

I think Barmes will be the regular SS against righties while Mercer will play against lefties. Barmes because of the defense and experience. Jordy because he mashes lefties. Mercer would also be a late inning replacement if we are down or in a close game and they need to pinch hit for Barmes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:57 pm 

Watch Clint Hurdle in this. Great stuff!

http://bcove.me/z55ufqzs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:06 pm 

Great montage by MLB.com

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=31068591

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:12 pm 

Just a little bit of context/insight on how brutal the fallout has been here in Cincy as a Cincy resident.

I typically avoid the local 700 station like the plague but it was still on in the car during my commute this afternoon from when I was driving home listening to the game last night. Like the old train-wreck analogy goes, I simply couldn't look away from all of the absurdity, outrage and paranoia.

The host himself (not just callers) spent his entire show running with the "we want Dusty Baker's head" talking point. They were constantly referencing a "0-17" point which is how the Reds have performed in perceived "important games" since 1995 (including play-in game loss to the Mets, swept by the Phillies including a Halladay no-hitter in 2010, the improbable series loss to the Giants last year in which they took the first two in SF then lost all 3 at home), and the final 6 games of this year (losing 5 straight at GABP to end year against Mets/Pirates, and then last night). The host goes as far as to claim that Baker should have been fired over one specific instance back in 09 when Albert Pujols hit a grand slam against the Reds. Oh, and five dozen callers calling in vehemently anti-Baker. Mixed in were the occasional talking points like all year about how Joey Votto walks too much, etc.

Obviously, none of that stuff is too surprising, it's typical cliche talk radio mumbo jumbo. But on a broader note, I will say that this current moment is possibly the most "deflated" I have ever seen the Reds fanbase. And it wasn't just because of the WCG loss, there was really very minimal excitement yesterday afternoon either after how the final home-stand went (Pirates sweep). At this point in Baker's tenure they have established themselves as the kings of mediocrity. They have a roster talented enough to win 90+ games but the fanbase has completely done a 360 on Baker after the embarrassing playoff losses and lack of improvements. If Jocketty is being truthful with his preliminary comments today that Baker will be back to ride out the last year of his contract, it's entirely possible that you see remarkable anti-Baker antics from the fanbase this year or some kind of grassroots thing put together a la the "IrateFans" protest from years back or something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 pm 

What a heart warming story. Thank you for sharing, Shark.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:07 pm 

Let's dance!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9