Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2206
Bucs giving the halos and a little lesson, national league style thus far. Alvarez remains hot, homers. So does mercer. 3-0.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2206
Is it me, or are more batters getting hit by pitches? (not just by the reds either).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:27 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2009
Cole's stuff is nasty. 4 weaker consistently 95-100+, a slider at 92, a changeup at 90, a curveball that sits in the mid 80's and a delivery that is effortless. Wow.

Bats getting hot early. The bull, its Mercer's job now. Things are looking good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Clevelandsux wrote:
Is it me, or are more batters getting hit by pitches? (not just by the reds either).


Marte is second in the league in HPB at 14 times. Surprisingly, Walker is actually fourth at 10 times, and McCutchen and Martin are tied at eleventh with 5 each.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:34 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2009
That was one heck of a catch by Trout. We have a guy that can do that to and his name rhymes with parte.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:46 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2206
Looks like mercer split his pants.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio
The Cardinals lost earlier 6-4 to the Rangers and the Reds trail the D'Backs 6-3 in the 5th, so lets finish this one off and gain a game on the Cards and jump the Reds in the standings.

_________________
Roberto Clemente and I have a combined 3,000 career hits.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Prior to the Tony Sanchez promotion I hadn't realized how dire the DH candidates would have looked. Case in point, Gaby starting tonight against a RHP in Weaver. To his credit he has done his job excellently in the platoon role (1.064 OPS against LHP), but he is completely useless against RHP. So the DH options would have either been Jones/Gaby with the platoon disadvantage like tonight or with Tabata injured and Presley just demoted it would go to one McKenry, Inge or Barmes. The Presley/Welker swap was unexpected otherwise we should have seen this move coming.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:07 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5485
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
The Cardinals lost earlier 6-4 to the Rangers and the Reds trail the D'Backs 6-3 in the 5th, so lets finish this one off and gain a game on the Cards and jump the Reds in the standings.


This.

Good to see the Bucs get to Weaver and the Halo's pen so early.

Today the Angels put tomorrows projected starter, Justin Vargas, on the DL.

If the Bucs can close this one out they'd set themselves up nicely for the next two.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 pm
Posts: 407
Im not bashing Cole by any means here, but so far, the guy has no composure after he gives up a run. Once he gives up a run, he looks so flustered that he needs to be taken out. Cole needs to work on that


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
It's still unfathomable to me that a team with three players posting OPS figures over .800 (including Trout's .952) and not to mention Pujols who doesn't fit that criteria but is still on pace for another 30+ HR season and a struggling Hamilton who had hit 10 before going to the DL is 7 games under .500 in late June. I know Weaver has missed most of the season and the rotation is subpar overall but you could pair that line-up with the 2010 Pirates rotation that posted a combined 5+ ERA and I'd be confident that they'd still win a lot of games. And yet this is a team that managed to get swept by Houston in a four-game series at home a few weeks ago. Yeah, I'm saying what everyone in baseball has been saying about the Angels all season long but I suppose the perspective really kicks in when your team is playing them. It's uncanny.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
borohockey8 wrote:
Im not bashing Cole by any means here, but so far, the guy has no composure after he gives up a run. Once he gives up a run, he looks so flustered that he needs to be taken out. Cole needs to work on that


Based on the fact that he gave up two runs in an inning tonight? Yeah he looked flustered and struggled with control (the first time that has happened to him in the majors) after the Pujols HR but it happens. There isn't nearly enough of a sample size to make such a statement like it's a problem for Cole. In his first start, he only gave up one run and was pulled since it was the seventh. In his second start his first ER was via a groundout and he retired the next batter to end the inning. Second run came two innings later and he then induced a DP to end the inning and he then pitched into the sixth.

He had his first real dominant game tonight. The slider was nasty, control remained excellent and he continued getting quick outs with the 5 Ks, touched 100 on the gun. Cruised into the 7th inning at around seventy pitches. A shame he made the mistake of leaving a fastball over the middle for Pujols and was shaky after but the positive way outweighs the negative.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5485
How was Vin Mazzaro the first/best option out of the 'pen tonight and how did it work out?! :shock:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1504
Where the hell was Melancon with a two run lead in the 8th, against Murderer's Row?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
NSMaster56 wrote:
How was Vin Mazzaro the first/best option out of the 'pen tonight and how did it work out?! :shock:


I was surprised he came in to face some lefties in the seventh but it made sense since Wilson was unavailable.

What didn't make sense was leaving him in for the eighth even though it worked out perfectly. Why is Melancon not out there to do his job? He didn't even pitch in the 13th inning game and hasn't pitched in three games.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:44 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5485
RE: Melancon non-8th inning use

The ONLY logical explanation is that Grilli is unavailable tonight after pitching frequently lately and therefore Mark will fill-in as closer.

Likely? Eh.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
NSMaster56 wrote:
RE: Melancon non-8th inning use

The ONLY logical explanation is that Grilli is unavailable tonight after pitching frequently lately and therefore Mark will fill-in as closer.


If so it's a bad strategy because Grilli actually hasn't been pitching frequently lately, like Melancon he hasn't pitched since three games ago (the blown save). Kind of odd if they start saying pitchers who didn't even pitch in the 13th-inning game are unavailable when they just pitched an inning each as usual the game before and weren't used the game after. Not that it really matters that much which of them pitches the ninth, but if either of them is considered unavailable that's ridiculous.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2135
TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
How was Vin Mazzaro the first/best option out of the 'pen tonight and how did it work out?! :shock:


I was surprised he came in to face some lefties in the seventh but it made sense since Wilson was unavailable.

What didn't make sense was leaving him in for the eighth even though it worked out perfectly. Why is Melancon not out there to do his job? He didn't even pitch in the 13th inning game and hasn't pitched in three games.

Melancon pitched 5 of last 7 days. Hurdle trying to pace him, I would think.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:55 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5485
That'll do, Cutch. That'll do.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2135
TheShark wrote:
It's still unfathomable to me that a team with three players posting OPS figures over .800 (including Trout's .952) and not to mention Pujols who doesn't fit that criteria but is still on pace for another 30+ HR season and a struggling Hamilton who had hit 10 before going to the DL is 7 games under .500 in late June. I know Weaver has missed most of the season and the rotation is subpar overall but you could pair that line-up with the 2010 Pirates rotation that posted a combined 5+ ERA and I'd be confident that they'd still win a lot of games. And yet this is a team that managed to get swept by Houston in a four-game series at home a few weeks ago. Yeah, I'm saying what everyone in baseball has been saying about the Angels all season long but I suppose the perspective really kicks in when your team is playing them. It's uncanny.

I have Weaver in all of my fantasy leagues, and I'm sick about that. He looks like a shell of himself right now. And any rotation relying on Joe Blanton is in big trouble...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits