Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2060
J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I would also like to thank the save for existing, sparing the Bucs from facing Chapman yesterday and affording them three innings against a middle reliever.


Agreed. If Baker brings in Chapman to face Jones, it's probably game over (even if Hurdle counters with Gaby, as it's harder to hit a HR as a righty at PNC).

Yea...I was stunned when Dusty rolled Simon out for another inning...shouldn't have been, as it is Dusty after all...but I was!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
The Pirates should have countered with the woman the Pittsburgh Police found tied up his hotel room from last year. Oddly enough, it was almost one year to the date when that happened.

Alfredo Simon killed a guy in the Dominican Republic.

And Johnathan Broxton has been known to kill a buffet spread.



I had no idea (about the former, at least...the Bucs are fortunate to have teams in the division who run out both Broxton AND John Axford in high leverage situations). I would incorporate that all day if I were calling the game.

"And here comes the pitch from Simon, who killed a guy a few years back. Low and outside, ball 2."

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3484
Location: Economy, PA
borohockey8 wrote:
I loved when we acquired Snider last year from the Blue Jays and he is starting to step it up. I believe hes still a young guy and how many years does he have left on his contract?


Snider is 25. His contract is for just this year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7187
Ralphie wrote:
borohockey8 wrote:
I loved when we acquired Snider last year from the Blue Jays and he is starting to step it up. I believe hes still a young guy and how many years does he have left on his contract?


Snider is 25. His contract is for just this year.


I thought the Pirates had 4 years of control left with Snider?

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3070
As far as the leaving Broxton in goes ... while I obviously agree re: the useless save statistic and the way it corrupts winning probability with the way managers utilize it, and certainly not defending Dusty Baker, I don't know that it was an obvious decision to give Chapman the 4-out save like everyone is harping on in retrospect. Broxton was brought in at the deadline last year to be their set-up guy, and he's had quite a few impressive seasons in Chapman's role as well. He did previously induce a GIDP (with the lead-runner getting on due to a HBP) despite giving up the hit to McCutchen. Imagine that situation for us ... yes, Broxton doesn't sport a sub-1.00 ERA like Melancon does, but I think we trust him to get out of that two-out situation with a runner on first rather than relying on bringing in Grilli for the final out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
TheShark wrote:
As far as the leaving Broxton in goes ... while I obviously agree re: the useless save statistic and the way it corrupts winning probability with the way managers utilize it, and certainly not defending Dusty Baker, I don't know that it was an obvious decision to give Chapman the 4-out save like everyone is harping on in retrospect. Broxton was brought in at the deadline last year to be their set-up guy, and he's had quite a few impressive seasons in Chapman's role as well. He did previously induce a GIDP (with the lead-runner getting on due to a HBP) despite giving up the hit to McCutchen. Imagine that situation for us ... yes, Broxton doesn't sport a sub-1.00 ERA like Melancon does, but I think we trust him to get out of that two-out situation with a runner on first rather than relying on bringing in Grilli for the final out.



I was referring to the 9th, 10th and 11th innings, but I can with absolute certainty say that when Broxton or Axford come into the game, I think the Pirates have a real good chance to get back into it.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10513
TheShark wrote:
Broxton ... did previously induce a GIDP (with the lead-runner getting on due to a HBP).

The double play was on a ball that Walker scorched, where the second baseman just happened to be in the way of the missile.

I can understand leaving Broxton in to face the righty (McCutchen) after that, but when Jones walked to the plate I was shocked to see Broxton still in the game.

Thank you, Dusty.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3070
I know you were referring to Simon, and I agree there should have been a Chapman appearance in there at some point. I was responding to J_C's point about how they should have brought Chapman in to get the final out in the eighth (that was a big talking point in Cincinnati today as well). It's obviously a moot point because obviously it would have been a perfectly logical move at the time, I just don't think that leaving Broxton in was a bad idea either.

Not sure I would lump Broxton into a group like Axford/Marmol etc. though. He had a pretty great career with Kansas City and was really solid last year. Guys like Axford and Marmol are total liabilities every time out and are for some reason continue to be put into high leverage situations day in and day out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
You could have said that about Axford last year.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3070
Not really ... he had a 4.67 ERA last year and the difference is that Axford had two good seasons before falling off, Broxton has had about six and has sustained his success for going on nine seasons.

Maybe you should just tell me your own reasoning for lumping Broxton into that category?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Reds @ Pirates 6-2-13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3484
Location: Economy, PA
nad69dan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
borohockey8 wrote:
I loved when we acquired Snider last year from the Blue Jays and he is starting to step it up. I believe hes still a young guy and how many years does he have left on his contract?


Snider is 25. His contract is for just this year.


I thought the Pirates had 4 years of control left with Snider?


Correct. He will be arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits