Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: May 27, 2013 Pirates (31-19) at Tigers (28-20)
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 pm 

Agree, plenty of blame for this loss. Lots of mental mistakes, etc. can't win um all. Now let's take the next 3.

I will say this, I'm glad hurdle called out the umpire. He was awful today.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:47 pm 

Can't win em all. Nice to see the offense battle today. Gotta clean up the mental mistakes. Liriano never had fastball command today which makes everything tougher still it was a bloop hit by fielder that started a rally in the fifth.

Go win tomorrow. Porcellos era is sky high up in the mid 6's.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:01 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
I'll say it....I like Travis Snider. He's made big strides at only 25 years old. He's learning how to be a hitter...I'm optimistic the power follows.

Me too, I actually wanted him to win the everyday RF job after he had a solid spring (and not that ST matters all that much, but which was largely ignored due to Tabata's blazing start that ultimately took a nosedive pretty quickly). The main skepticism, to me (like yourself) remains the aforementioned power abilities and potential. You would definitely like to see the power up a notch to differentiate himself from the Tabata/Presley/Pie and in the past Gorkys Hernandez etc. school of corner OF that the Pirates always seemingly end up with a surplus of. But you're right, he is still young and it needs to be kept in mind that the longest stint he's had in the majors at a time was nearly 300 ABs with Toronto 2010 when he had his best HR totals. Perhaps a full healthy season this year will see a repeat in those types of numbers. His HRs would be doubled this year after all if he didn't narrowly miss on that triple today and the infamous, umpire reviewed "double" at PNC earlier in the season.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:08 pm 

Yeah my main reason for optimism this year is that he's definitely showing some XBH power, albeit not in the form of home runs.

He was a guy who, when traded, it seemed the Blue Jays organization believed would never be able to work counts/take walks. He's done that thus far this year, and I've actually liked the plate patience quite a bit. He was around 6% the past couple years in terms of his BB% with the Jays, and thus far this year is around 10%. Big jump. I'm hoping that he revamped his philosophy at the plate to be a bit more patient and geared toward contact, and that as he matures and becomes more comfortable his doubles turn into HR's.

We'll see. But, the Jays had apparently given up hope with him becoming a patient hitter and he's thus far proved them wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 pm 

Nothing irritates me more than 1st ball swinging.

It's the ninth inning and Snider get's on, Walker then swings @ the very 1st pitch and pops it up.

Just drives me crazy

In these situations you have to make the pitcher work!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:15 pm 

Harrison got picked off while at 1B last season in a crucial situation...now today, he gets picked off at 2B in a crucial situation...makes me wonder how much gray matter he has between his two ears... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:15 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Pirates

Late to this thread, obviously, but I still hate, hate, hate, hate to see Leyland in a Tiger's uniform, even after all this time....

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:20 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
I'm rightfully entitled to my opinion. Today is memorial day where many of men have died so we can have the freedom of our own opinions.

Uh, okay. It sounds like you need to apply that train of thought to my opinions as well then since me disagreeing with you caused you think you weren't allowed to have your own opinions. As for what I said about you doing your usual thing about being negative, anyone who regularly posts here knows that what you do is post stuff in games threads like "Wtf!" and "send this guy to the minors!" and "way to suck (player X)!". And yes, before you say it again, that is your prerogative and you have the right to do so. But that's why I said you were just doing your usual thing when what you were saying about the game (Liriano) was inaccurate. I guarantee prior to the runs given up in the fifth you wouldn't have been calling for Liriano to be pulled, you would have been saying he was pitching a fine game.

I call it exactly like I see it at the moment. If you have an issue with me or my opinions, block me! Simple. Last year we had guys like judge landis that made this board a hostile place.

So Cleveland, just out of curiosity do you think that a manager's strategy should be reactionary or do you have these reactionary thoughts as a fan?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:25 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Note for future reference: Justin Verlander (un)intentionally walked Russell Martin to pitch to Pedro Alvarez... then struck him out a second time. Pedro can't be the kind of hitter that pitchers want to face with guys on base. He's gotta become more consistently dangerous.

I noticed that, too, and this is how Verlander considers him after even a rather productive week (for Alvarez).

Let's compare the two third basemen. Our 3B went 0-4 with two strikeouts. Their 3B went 0-4 with three strikeouts. Except Pedro was done and dusted in 12 pitches total. Cabrera worked our pitchers for 23 pitches in his "unsuccessful" day.

Pedro's a easy out.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:31 pm 

Go ahead and compare Miguel Cabrera to every other third baseman in the league as well, let alone every other player in the league at any position. Most of them are going to look bad when you're comparing them to the player I would cite as the best in the league.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:46 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Go ahead and compare Miguel Cabrera to every other third baseman in the league as well, let alone every other player in the league at any position. Most of them are going to look bad when you're comparing them to the player I would cite as the best in the league.

But, but, but....Pedro was the 2nd pick in 2008! He should be a superstar, too! It's how the NFL and NBA work, after all.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:50 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
I will say this, I'm glad hurdle called out the umpire. He was awful today.

The umpiring was awful.

Which makes the Hurdle decisions all the more painful. Could have overcome the brutal strike zone inconsistency and the terrible "Inge did not hold up" call.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:52 pm 

Every Verlander pitch to Pedro - EVERY @#$^ING ONE - was on the outside corner because Pedro insists on trying to pull that pitch.

Meanwhile, the Tigers hit five or six rockets the other way for hits.

Until learns to hit pitches on the outside corner the other way, he will hit .210 with a .275 OBP.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:39 pm 

This one would have been nice to 'steal'. Any time you can win a game Verlander pitches...

Need Jeanmar to be on his best for his usual five tomorrow. Need the 'pen to be ready (and Contreras free). Need to stay K free vs. a high K SP like Porcello.

A.J. or Locke have shown enough that they may help take one of the last two, so this next game which should decide how the Bucs will fare in these back-to-backs.

Good game, tough outcome.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:

Go win tomorrow. Porcellos era is sky high up in the mid 6's.

Unfortunately it is the High ERA guys that always shut us down. With the Pirates you'd almost rather face Verlander.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Clevelandsux wrote:

I'm rightfully entitled to my opinion. Today is memorial day where many of men have died so we can have the freedom of our own opinions.

If I had a nickel for every time someone on the internet misunderstood what freedom of speech means, I'd probably be able to attend every Buccos game.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:

And we're rightfully entitled to think that your opinions make you look like a buffoon (to say nothing of your writing style).

But you are right, many men have died so that you can tell us how to blow baseball players on a message board.

Not sure you understand what freedom of speech means, but that's ok. Given your posting history, I wouldn't have expected it.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:39 pm 

[quote="JollyRoger"

So Cleveland, just out of curiosity do you think that a manager's strategy should be reactionary or do you have these reactionary thoughts as a fan?[/quote]

Basically when I post on here, I'm sitting on a couch watching them. As it happens. Easy to say I told you so after the fact. No hurdles decisions I called as they were unfolding. I saw liriano tiring before he gave up 2 more runs. I said get him out of there. Conteras could not get the ball in the strike zone. Everyone saw that.

Btw I am very well educated. I'm writing on an iPad with auto correct, that sometimes changes words that I write. But I am a fan sitting with a drink in my hand as we speak. Sorry ill put rose colored glasses on when I post and just say how wonderful everything is all the time. Im not getting into attack modes with people on here like what happened last season. This is about baseball, not about attacking posters. No time for it, carry on.........

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 am 
 WWW  Profile

That's not even possible, since he gave up 2 runs on a double and then 1 run on a bloop opposite the shift.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:44 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Basically when I post on here, I'm sitting on a couch watching them. As it happens. Easy to say I told you so after the fact. No hurdles decisions I called as they were unfolding. I saw liriano tiring before he gave up 2 more runs. I said get him out of there. Conteras could not get the ball in the strike zone. Everyone saw that.

Btw I am very well educated. I'm writing on an iPad with auto correct, that sometimes changes words that I write. But I am a fan sitting with a drink in my hand as we speak. Sorry ill put rose colored glasses on when I post and just say how wonderful everything is all the time. Im not getting into attack modes with people on here like what happened last season. This is about baseball, not about attacking posters. No time for it, carry on.........

Cleveland, no one is attacking you, merely pointing out why some of us take opposition with what you have to say since you didn't seem to get why that was happening and resorted to "I can say what I want it's freedom or speech!" No, it's not about being positive all the time. It's just that a lot of people here contribute to this board by talking about baseball and the organization intelligently on a wide array of topics, where as you seemingly only post the most mundane, little reactionary soundbites possible in game threads, often which when a game is going poorly. You mention that you're just a fan sitting there with a drink, well, your posting style is exactly that, like a drunk fan you might be sitting next to at a baseball game who yells out the most childish things possible. Player strikes out, "wow, you suck!", pitcher gives up a lead, "Nice one (manager), another horrible decision!", player commits and error, "send this bum back to the minors!" And what made me bring it up earlier here is because it is starting to be the exact same shtick every single time.

And you actually did not call for Liriano to be pulled before he gave up the runs. You posted "Shit! Once again hurdle leaves a pitcher too long" after he gave up the runs to give the Tigers the lead. Prior to that you were not calling for Liriano to be pulled, you were calling Verlander a "whiny bitch" and talking about Detroit having fat players. I post this just to demonstrate that you actually do the opposite of what you said you do, you're the one who posts stuff "after the fact" rather than calling them as they happen. My advice would just to be to be ready for people to challenge what you say if you're going to continue to post that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next