Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 05/17
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:42 am 

WOW! Doing whatever it takes to win...and I mean WHATEVER. A Monster HR. An even MORE MONSTER HR. Two dropped balls! WOW!
The good news is that the Bucs just seem to keep finding ways to win...another comeback after being down 4-1! Oh, and something else..the Astros are very very bad! Great Pirate 5-4 win!

Let's get to it!

STARTER
: JGomez. Have to call this one a wash. He was sharp for a while, but could not sustain it. Just 4.2 innings. 5 hits, 2 walks, and 3 earned runs, 4 in all..left game down 4-1.

WIN
: Justin Wilson pitches a scoreless inning...giving up just a walk, to go with a K and picks up an unlikely win...moving him to 4-0 with 1.40 ERA.

Honorable Mention: Another night with a ton of contributors. Russell Martin. I considered making him the #3 star instead of HM. He went 2-5. He hit the game winning errror, I guess you would call it. But at least he made contact with the bases loaded, which Neil Walker could not do. He also threw out a runner trying to steal, which would have put the potential winning run at second. Unfortunately, his 5th inning errror hurt the Bucs, allowing a run to score and knocking Gomez out of the game! Marte only went 1-4 tonight, but came up with the big hit in the 9th that got the Bucs going. Garrett Jones goes 1-2, plus a walk...hitting a double to score Cutch to cut the lead to 4-2. Watson was a little shakey, but ended up giving us 2 scoreless innings.

STAR #3: Mazzaro came in with runners on 1st and 3rd and the Bucs already down by 3. He got out of it with a strikeout and subsqeuntly pitched 1.1 scoreless innings, striking out 3, giving the Bucs the chance at a comeback. This kid has been a pleasant surprise. Did anybody ever dream he would be part of our successful bullpen this year? Honestly?

STAR #2: Cutch goes 3-5 with 2 runs and an RBI. He hits a monster HR and a double. He also ends up at third when RF dropped a ball, which lead to our second run.

STAR #1: Pedro goes 2-4 with a 460 ft HR that tied the game at 4. Yeah, he looked bad striking out before that with guys on base. Who cares? Although it took us a couple more innings to get the win, I think his HR totally demoralized the Astros.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 05/17
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:56 am 
 WWW  Profile

I know Watson had a 1.5 WHIP tonight, but he deserves a mention.

EDIT: Never mind: I see him buried in there :)

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 05/17
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:39 am 

At some point, I will stop wondering why Huntington is acquiring a certain relief pitcher. Mazzarro is the most recent example.

His stats from Kansas City looked horrible. The Pirates scouts and Huntington saw something more than the stats - and they were right.

The dude deals at 95 mph, with an 85-mph slider. He is nasty.

And he is the Pirates 6th best RP'er.