Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: May 12, 2013 Pirates (20-16) at Mets (14-19)
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
And, these praised moves would include just what, in the past year or so? The Snider trade? The Wandy trade? The whole "going all in" rants? The Martin signing? The Loriano signing?

He was one of the first guys to come out and praise the move to acquire A.J. Burnett. A lot of people (including me) panned it. DK was a big supporter of the Wandy Rodriguez trade. Some people (including several posters on this board) lamented the loss of Grossman. DK initially criticized the front office for failing to tender Karstens, then praised them for re-acquiring him cheaper and also bringing in Liriano.

There are a lot of examples, my friend, that you and those who think DK has an "agenda" to get H/C fired conveniently ignore.

ZelieMike wrote:
No, that is not it, as is quite adequately posited on this board. That is his fall back position if and when the Pirates succeed so he can claim to be fair and objective.

ZM

It's not DK's "fall back position"; it's his position. Period. He believes that the Pirates should (and will) fire Huntington and Coonelly if they do not contend for a playoff spot into September. In DK's discussions with Bob Nutting, he notes that Nutting has suggested as much. And he's fine with that. He just believes -- as do I -- that it's "put up or shut up" time.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
His job is to sell newspapers and get web traffic so in a way you are correct. But from a ethical journalistic standpoint, you are wrong. He has let it get personal. He's not the first and he won't be the last, but you can compare it to the baseball writers who don't vote a player into the all-star game because they didn't like the person or he was a bad interview or they had a confrontation. His job is to be balanced and look at situations without bias. Yes, he can have an opinion, but like many have mentioned, he is not using factual information and he is selling half-truths. IMO, his ego and passion has gotten in the way of his otherwise good journalistic abilities.

Questioning DK's ethics? That's a serious charge, bucco boy.

Letting it get personal? That's also a serious charge.

Not using factual information? Ditto.

You are not inside DK's head and you don't know what he deems "personal" and what he deems just part of the job. You're making suppositions based on a limited view. Do you know what that amounts to? Using "half-truths" to jump to conclusions. As someone in the journalism business, bucco boy, I would expect better of you.

The only time I've seen DK emotional in his writing is when he is defending a source or a piece of information given to him. That's it.

You really don't think it is personal between him and the front office?

And you keep referring to how talented a writer he is, which I won't necessarily disagree, but I will throw this out there: If he is so good, why is he stuck writing just in the Pittsburgh market?

BB...one word in your original post hits it with him and it is obvious. EGO. From the time he was on the old board until now that he is a columnist with the TR, I don't know that I've seen him acknowledge he was wrong more than once or twice(if that). And he will do whatever he needs to NOT say that he was wrong.

I happen to enjoy his coverage and writing skills. I also have agreed with many of his positions on the Pirates more than most here. I'd be hard pressed to say he has an agenda. I think he does beat certain horses to death, but I think it is more to prove he was right than having any agenda against certain people.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
You really don't think it is personal between him and the front office?

And you keep referring to how talented a writer he is, which I won't necessarily disagree, but I will throw this out there: If he is so good, why is he stuck writing just in the Pittsburgh market?

You read his stuff, bucco boy. You know how much DK absolutely LOVES Pittsburgh. It's where he chooses to be. Could he make it in a bigger market? Absolutely. But he wants to live in Pittsburgh. And he can be great at what he does at the confluence.

And no, I don't think it's personal. The only time I've read a DK piece that appears "emotional" is when his sources or information are questioned. Then he gets personally involved. But his criticisms of the front office are not unlike my criticisms or the criticisms voiced by many posters on this board. It's not personal between me and the front office, but I can still criticize them with passionate rhetoric.

With the internet, he can stay in Pittsburgh and be elevated to another level. Jayson Stark has worked for ESPN for 15 years and still lives in Philly. Most of the writers on the major websites live wherever they want to.

The perception of the talent level in Pittsburgh as perceived nationally is very low.

I am basing my observations on what I know, what I have seen and what I have heard. Several other posters have put up good solid evidence that gives more credence to my opinion and others who see DK as not being totally objective in his writings and opinions.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 pm 

So . . . Bucco Boy . . . is Kovacevic a big fish in a small market? ;)

(Before keyboards start burning up with fired-up responses, I write that facetiously and only to make light of one of Kovacevic's biggest pet peeves. I'm fully aware of where Pittsburgh's population sits in the United States)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:00 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
So . . . Bucco Boy . . . is Kovacevic a big fish in a small market? ;)

Yeah, DK is always beating that "small market" drum. I swear, the next time I have to read something from DK about the Pirates being a "small market" team, I will scream.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6