Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goats and Stars for 04/26
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 am 

It happens. I will take a stinker like this once a week or so as long as the rest of the week is good. Not a lot to cheer about tonight. Let's start a new streak tomorrow!

START: Call this one "The Sanchez"...horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible. 4 batters. HR HR Single HBP. EJECTION!!!!! Ejection, Dejection, and hopefully tomorrow, REJECTION! I was willing to give Sanchez a shot. But I have seen enough.

LOSS: Sanchez takes the loss to drop to 0-3 12.71 ERA. Have the Pirates had a worse starter in the past decade? Probably. I just can't remember.

GOAT: Dual goat horns tonight. Obviously Sanchez. And despite the fact that he drove in the only run, I am still giving Pedro goat horns. For those of you who were smart enough to turn the game off early.....you missed an almost comeback in the 8th, the Bucs had bases loaded, one out with Pedro coming up as the tying run! And he hit into an inning ending DP. Not calling for his benching, or demotion, or release, but giving him half the goat horns for that.

Do we really have any stars?? Tough to pick.

Star #3: It wasn't perfect, but JGomez came in and gave us 4.1 innings until he could go no more...ended up giving up 3 runs, but he gave us some much needed innings and gave the Bucco bats a chance to come back.

Star #2: JHughes came in with runner on 1st and struck out next two guys to keep the game at 5 runs. He also gave us a total of 2.2 scoreless innings.

Star #1: GJones was on base twice with a double and walk. His double was our only XBH and he scored our only run. That's the brightest star tonight!

STAR POINTS
Marte 21
Rodriguez 19
JMac 16
Cutch 15
Burnett 15
GJones 13.5
Walker 13.5
JWilson 12
Snider 11.5
Locke 11
GSanchez 9.5
Grilli 9.5
Martin 8.5
Melancon 8.5
Watson 7.5
JGomez 7.5
Alvarez 7
Barmes 6
McHenry 6
Mazzarro 4.5
Inge 2.5
Tabata 2.5
Harrison 2
Hughes 1.5
BMorris 1
Irwin - 1
JSanchez -6

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goats and Stars for 04/26
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 am 

Timmons the ump and sanchaz are my goats.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 am 

Alvarez gets a partial goat even though he kept them from getting shut out lastnight?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Alvarez gets a partial goat even though he kept them from getting shut out lastnight?

Yeah, because if he does not hit into a DP, then perhaps we make a little dent in the 5-1 lead and it could be a new game. He could have tied the game. he could have made it a 2 run game with a hit...Heck, even another SF makes it just a 3 run game with the Bucs still batting.

Not fair?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:04 pm 

Animal wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Yeah, because if he does not hit into a DP, then perhaps we make a little dent in the 5-1 lead and it could be a new game. He could have tied the game. he could have made it a 2 run game with a hit...Heck, even another SF makes it just a 3 run game with the Bucs still batting.

Not fair?

I agree bases loaded one out, Pirate still have a pulse, then Alvarez ends all hopes of a comeback.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:49 pm 

While Pedro did fail to convert, it's hard to put more than an 'it happens' level of blame when Sanchez crapped the bed.

The game was lost in the first four/five innings. Pedro's DP was just the final nail in the game's coffin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:57 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
While Pedro did fail to convert, it's hard to put more than an 'it happens' level of blame when Sanchez crapped the bed.

The game was lost in the first four/five innings. Pedro's DP was just the final nail in the game's coffin.

Really? Sanchez gave up 2 runs in the first inning. The Bucs had 8 more innings to make up that difference.

I see where you are coming from. I considered NOT giving it to Pedro, but I really feel his at bat may have been the turning point in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

Animal wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Really? Sanchez gave up 2 runs in the first inning. The Bucs had 8 more innings to make up that difference.

I see where you are coming from. I considered NOT giving it to Pedro, but I really feel his at bat may have been the turning point in the game.

Yeah, it was disappointing to hear/see Pedro not come through there. Arguably half goat horns worthy.

And yes Sancho only gave up 2 runs, but he didn't record an out and it meant expending Jeanmar waaaaaaaay sooner than you'd like to see.

Jeanmar ended up giving up 3 more runs, so... domino effect.

Again, Pedro's failure felt more like finality than causation.

No big deal either way.