Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 04/21
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:57 pm 

AWESOME WIN. AWESOME SERIES. Bucs beat the Braves more in this series than they had lost all year! Contributions from many. Clutch hitting. Gutsy pitching. I will take that combination every day. Let's get to it. We are getting a lot of help from a lot of places. The pen has been tremendous, giving us 6 innings today. Snider has been very good, instrumental in our wins, as has Martin, with his work behind the place, some timely hitting of late, and especially keeping runners from stealing at will. Pedro is coming around...hitting the ball hard on occasion...nice leadoff single today, jumping on the first pitch he saw. Had a two run HR taken away by upton. Walker, Cutch, and Marte continue to come through. This was a great series, fun to watch. Keep it up Bucs!!! Now onto the stars... You could really argue a lot of these merits. The stars could move up or down. Sanchez's start could be looked at a couple different ways. But, these are MY stars, MY opinions, so here goes...

START: The much-hated Jonathan Sanchez goes just 3 innings, giving up 2 runs, while walking and giving up 4 more hits. He danced around giving up more runs, killing the bullpen yet again. But you know what, I liked what I saw. He showed some guts today. I know it wasn't much, but I am calling this an OK start.

WIN: Justin Wilson goes 1.1 innings of scoreless ball, giving up a hit and a walk, while striking out 1. His record moves to 1-0 with 1.50 ERA. Good stuff from the pen for Wilson so far.

HOLDS: Watson goes a scoreless inning with a strikeout to earn his 4th hold!

SAVE: Grilli walks one but K's two to earn his 7th save in 7 tries!

Honorable Mention: The Bucs don't win this one without little contributions from a lot of guys. In addition to the win, JWilson gets an HM too. He came in with 2 on and one out in the 6th inning of 2-2 game and got BJ Upton to hit into DP. He ended up going 1.1 scoreless. Another much-hated guy, JHughes came into a 3-2 game with two outs in the 7th and runner on second and struck out Chris Johnson. Snider goes 2-3, including his 7th double, and a run. Walker goes 1-3, plus a walk and a run.

STAR #3: JGomez earns a star with this one. Comes in to start the 4th inning with the game tied 2-2. He gave the Bucs 2.1 innings, walking 2 and giving up 3 hits, but striking out 3 and keeping the Braves off the board. First 5+ innings today, Pirate pitchers seemed to work wiht smoke and mirrors!

STAR #2: Russell Martin goes 2-4 with a double, a run and an RBI. He also plays steller defense....twice throwing out runners on a strike 'em out-throw 'em out plays. Each time the DP was followed up by a hit. Without those throw out, like last year with Barajas, that leads to at least 2 runs and we lose this game.

STAR #1: CLINT! The "other" guy everyone loves to hate came through big time today. Barmes went 2-3 with 2 RBI, driving in the tying run in the 2nd and the go-ahead run in the 6th. I keep saying that with the makeup of this team, we can live with Barmes at SS for his defense. Anything he does with the bat is gravy!

STAR POINTS
Rodriguez 18
Marte 17.5
Cutch 15
Burnett 14
JMac 13.5
Walker 13
Snider 10.5
JWilson 9.5
GJones 8.5
Grilli 7.5
Melancon 6.5
JGomez 6.5
Barmes 6
GSanchez 5.5
McHenry 5.5
Watson 5.5
Martin 5.5
Hughes 3.5
Locke 3
Alvarez 2.5
Harrison 2
Tabata 2
BMorris 1
Mazzarro 0.5
Irwin - 1
JSanchez -1

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 04/21
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It feels like Snider has doubled in 6 straight games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
It feels like Snider has doubled in 6 straight games.

It does. I am very pleased with Snider. In addition to the numbers he has posted, it seems like his is always in the middle of something! Cutch, Marte, Snider, and Tabata could be a damn good 4 man OF!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 pm 

Snider has 7 BB and 11 K's. He is on pace for 63 walks and 99 K's.

I would take that in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Snider has 7 BB and 11 K's. He is on pace for 63 walks and 99 K's.

I would take that in a heartbeat.

Especially in the 2-hole. For once, I agree with Hurdle's placement of a guy in the lineup...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Especially in the 2-hole. For once, I agree with Hurdle's placement of a guy in the lineup...

Is Jordy Mercer a significant negative with the glove? If not, then I have to think that giving time to a guy who has plus speed, draws walks, and hits with some pop in AAA would make the line-up better.

Perhaps quite a bit better. Think of having 8 actual offensive threats in the line-up, at one time.

Marte LF
Snider RF
McCutchen CF
Jones 1B
Walker 2B
Alvarez 3B
Martin C
Mercer SS

How "iffy" is his glove?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm 

As I said before, I can live with Barmes...but if Mercer would give us a big upgrade at SS, we could dump McDonald, and Barmes would be a pretty good bench guy!