Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 04/14
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:51 pm 

GREAT WIN! Break up the Bucs!!!! The Bucs are back to .500. So where are all of you who were bitching and moaning a week or so ago? I picked the wrong time to go out of town and missed a great series against the hated Reds. Saw today's game and part of yesterday's, so I will have to play a little catch up with the Stars!

MVP: The Fort! Mike McHenry seems unappreciated by management. I like Russell Martin, but I really thought that the Fort could be a full time catcher, catching about 60-70% of the games. Could have saved the Bucs a lot of money. But the Fort and Martin should be a great combination for us. Who woulda thunk that after two weeks of the season, the Fort, our backup catcher, with only 2 or maybe 3 starts, would be leading the team in HRs?? Anyway, the Fort goes 2-4 with 2 HR, 2 Runs, 3 RBIs to be named today's MVP!

WIN: Jared Hughes was not really very effective, giving up 3 hits and a run in just one inning, but got some good luck with the offense in picking up his first win of the year.

START: Phil Irwin did not seem quite ready for prime time....giving up 5 runs, 4 earned in just 4.2 innings. Gave up 6 hits and 4 BB. Bad start. Back to the minors.

There are so many stars to pass around today! Lots of guys did lots of good things. There is probably going to be a lot of arguments here. Really, almost any of these guys could be in any of the star positions... Oh well, better to argue about the stars than the goats, right?? Let's get to it!

Honorable Mention: WOW! So many!!! Gaby Sanchez came in and got a huge pinch hit RBI with two outs in the 7th to make it a one run game, after the Bucs had already scored 3. He added a sac fly in the 8th for an insurance run. Jonathan Sanchez picks up an HM for his AT BAT in the 7th. He comes in as a PINCH HITTER in the 8th and promptly drew a walk. He later comes around to score on the Gaby Sac Fly, giving the Bucs a 9-6 lead. Cutch goes 2-5 with a double, SB, a run, 2 RBIs, and an OF assist and is only able to garner an honorable mention! I like it! JGomez comes in in relief of Irwin, down 5-0. A lot of times guys come into a game like this and let it get even MORE out of hand..but Gomez is tough today, going 2.1 innings, just one hit and a walk, and even adds a hit into the mix!

Star #3: Giving the #3 star to Neil Walker. After a real rough start, he is finally getting it going. Neil had 3 hits today. Added and RBI. You could probably argue that he should be higher with three hits, but there are guys who I think did a little more, with less hits. Neil has raised his average to .214. He will keep it going.

Star #2: Man, this was tough. So many great candidates. By now, after reading the HMs and #3, I am sure you figured out that Travis Snider got my #2 star. He had 2 doubles, a run and an RBI, going 2-4, raising his average to .304. Snider has been quietly good so far this year. One of his doubles should have been a HR, according to the announcers, but was over-ruled by the umps. I really like the platoon of Snider and Tabata, and would be comfortable with either playing full time. We have a very solid OF.

Star #1: Starling Marte has been arguably our best and most consistent player so far this year. Could he challenge Cutch as this team's best player? Perhaps! He has all the tools. Maybe in a few years after the Bucs get a ring or two, we can compare them to Lemieux/Jagr or Crosby/Malkin! I hope!!!!! Anyway, after going hitless in his first 3 at bats, and adding in an error resulting in a run, he hit in his last two at bats...giving him I think a 9 game hitting streak?? or maybe it's 8??..and all but one of those games were multi-hit games. WOW!!! His 2 run HR in the 8th was the "icing on the cake" that put the Bucs ahead to stay. He had 2 runs and 2 RBI. He is now hitting .347 on the season with OPS of .870.

Let the arguments begin!

STAR POINTS
Marte 14.5
Cutch 10
JMac 9.5
Rodriguez 9
GJones 7
JWilson 6
JGomez 5.5
Snider 5.5
Burnett 5
Melancon 5
Grilli 5
McHenry 5
Walker 4.5
Hughes 4.5
Watson 4
Locke 4
Barmes 3
GSanchez 2.5
Harrison 2
Tabata 1
Alvarez 0
Martin -(0.5)
Irwin - 1
JSanchez -1.5

Last edited by Animal on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 04/14
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 pm 

I don't see how McKenry is unappreciated. The Pirates gave him a shot and he has taken advantage of it. He is a very average defensive catcher with a little pop. With that said, I like him a lot. He's a good guy and great compliment to Martin (like you mentioned).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I don't see how McKenry is unappreciated. The Pirates gave him a shot and he has taken advantage of it. He is a very average defensive catcher with a little pop. With that said, I like him a lot. He's a good guy and great compliment to Martin (like you mentioned).

As for unappreciated...I did not think it was necessary for the Bucs to go out and bring in a big money catcher. I think McHenry could have been the starter, and they could have brought in someone else to split time evenly or back him up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 pm 

Things finally quieting down a bit. Hope to start getting these done right after the games so we can debate them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 am 

i think they saw a chance to improve the catching postion and they did, martin is not producing but I think he will eventually...Mckennry will get his at bats during the year though...
I would give him the 2 star though!!