Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3645
Location: Economy, PA
TheShark wrote:
So, is having both Jones and Gaby in the line-up looking to be semi-permanent? I know this is only game 2, but I thought it might have just been a "Gaby had a great spring, so he's going to start on opening day" kind of thing. I just hope it isn't some reactionary move rather than putting a better strategy forward (and I don't think much of Hurdle as a manger, so I do question).

I get the temptation to start both guys, they could both very well end up as two of the team's best hitters overall. But it seems kind of odd to me how the team even went on record as saying that there was competition between a few guys for the RF starting job/general playing time coming into the spring and Jones and Gaby were supposed to be a straight platoon at first while younger guys in Tabata and Snider competed for the OF spot. I would think that the Pirates need to see what they have in Snider and play him against RHP (and before someone says it, yes, Snider had that awful K during his PH opportunity Monday, but so did a lot of other Pirates).


I too was hoping it was a one day thing, but it's not. Snider should be starting over Sanchez against righties, and Walker should be hitting in the 2 hole and Jones further down. Stupid lineup, stupid manager.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Naples, FL
Barmes just hitting ok like he did at the end of last year and at most points in his career would help this team out a great deal.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5015
Location: Washington, DC
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barmes just hitting ok like he did at the end of last year and at most points in his career would help this team out a great deal.


Good point. If he can hit .250 for the year with some occasional pop it lifts the entire lineup.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5613
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Probably just confirmation bias, but I can recall at least three big strike calls on pitches at the very edge of the zone that Martin framed beautifully.


*nodding*

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5613
Discussed the GJ 2nd+Gaby thing last night with other fans and there was speculation that it had something to do with Walker's injury or to avoid a bad matchup should a lefty be brought in.

The back thing was a guess and the lefty hypothesis doesn't make sense since Gaby hits lefties.

The ONLY 'logical' explanation (other than Hurdle being Hurdle) is that GJ grounds out less than Neil (or did in 2013) and is put 2nd to avoid DP's.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2172
J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barmes just hitting ok like he did at the end of last year and at most points in his career would help this team out a great deal.


Good point. If he can hit .250 for the year with some occasional pop it lifts the entire lineup.

Big IF...he has only hit .250 twice in his career, and not since 2008. As has been stated many, many times this is a position that needs an upgrade for sure.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5015
Location: Washington, DC
NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Probably just confirmation bias, but I can recall at least three big strike calls on pitches at the very edge of the zone that Martin framed beautifully.


*nodding*


I'm not the gushing type, but wow, that guy has quiet hands and a beautiful glove. It's like art watching him catch a baseball.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5015
Location: Washington, DC
PirateParrot wrote:
Big IF...he has only hit .250 twice in his career, and not since 2008. As has been stated many, many times this is a position that needs an upgrade for sure.


I'll accept .230 with great defense and 10 homers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Naples, FL
PirateParrot wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barmes just hitting ok like he did at the end of last year and at most points in his career would help this team out a great deal.


Good point. If he can hit .250 for the year with some occasional pop it lifts the entire lineup.

Big IF...he has only hit .250 twice in his career, and not since 2008. As has been stated many, many times this is a position that needs an upgrade for sure.



Lower it to .244 and you can no longer make that statement.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2556
J_C_Steel wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Probably just confirmation bias, but I can recall at least three big strike calls on pitches at the very edge of the zone that Martin framed beautifully.


*nodding*


I'm not the gushing type, but wow, that guy has quiet hands and a beautiful glove. It's like art watching him catch a baseball.


However, he had Soriano struck out on a beautiful curve in the 7th that caught a lot of plate, and he didn't get that call, Martin notwithstanding. I couldn't believe it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10693
Saw opening game, and watched the recorded game late last night - comments about Martin behind the plate and how good he is at receiving pitches are 100% accurate. He is a very good catcher.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7272
Bucfan wrote:
Saw opening game, and watched the recorded game late last night - comments about Martin behind the plate and how good he is at receiving pitches are 100% accurate. He is a very good catcher.


If lastnight's game were played in May, Martin probably has a homerun too. I was so hoping it was going to go over Soriano's head.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 3, 2013 Cubs (1-0) at Pirates (0-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Bucfan wrote:
Saw opening game, and watched the recorded game late last night - comments about Martin behind the plate and how good he is at receiving pitches are 100% accurate. He is a very good catcher.


Yeah, we have seen such bad catching for so long that many even raved about McKenry who may be average at very best.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits