Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: April 1, 2013 Cubs (0-0) at Pirates (0-0) Opening Day
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:26 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Play of the day!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Marmol's tenure as closer looks like it will come to an earlier end than previously thought.

Yeah, it REALLY ruined the comeback. Amazingly, the Cubs did the smart thing and took him out. Has the world gone topsy-turvy?!

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I can't imagine an opening day so poor offensively since...since at least last year's.

Since it was Samardzija on the mound, it makes it much more tolerable... arguably.

The GREAT takeaway from this one was the 15 K's Bucco pitchers racked up, including 5 out of the pen.

Go get 'em tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 pm 

Samardzija is a beast... :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 pm 

Saw the game via freebie on MLB Extra Innings. Good things:

1. Pedro's at-bats were pretty decent. Granted, against righties only but his pitch recognition was solid, and he had some good swings. The first-inning K was a situation where he looked fastball, got slider. @#$% happens.

2. Burnett was solid. Tried to get ahead of Rizzo. After that, he threw first-pitch sliders to Rizzo, who waved at them like Miss America in the Rose Parade.

3. Bullpen was good. Wilson and Hughes were dealing. Melancon was solid as well, dealing in the mid-90s down in the zone.

4. Cutch's at-bats ... they are always entertaining.

The Bad:

1. Garrett Jones going after a 58-foot slider off of Marmol as the leadoff batter in the 9th.

2. Speaking of Jones ... Cubs had that giant shift on him all game. No problem with Garrett swinging away in the first 8 innings, but as the lead-off batter in the 9th down 3-0 .... pretty sure you are not going to hit a 3-run HR in that situation, Garrett, so why not bunt for an easy lead-off single?

3. The offense in general. Pirates are one of the most pull-conscious teams in the majors. Just note the prevalance of shifts. Personally, I believe the team would benefit from a more balanced hitting approach, including hit pitches on the outside corner to the opposite field.

4. The final score.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Saw the game via freebie on MLB Extra Innings. Good things:

1. Pedro's at-bats were pretty decent. Granted, against righties only but his pitch recognition was solid, and he had some good swings. The first-inning K was a situation where he looked fastball, got slider. @#$% happens.

2. Burnett was solid. Tried to get ahead of Rizzo. After that, he threw first-pitch sliders to Rizzo, who waved at them like Miss America in the Rose Parade.

3. Bullpen was good. Wilson and Hughes were dealing. Melancon was solid as well, dealing in the mid-90s down in the zone.

4. Cutch's at-bats ... they are always entertaining.

The Bad:

1. Garrett Jones going after a 58-foot slider off of Marmol as the leadoff batter in the 9th.

2. Speaking of Jones ... Cubs had that giant shift on him all game. No problem with Garrett swinging away in the first 8 innings, but as the lead-off batter in the 9th down 3-0 .... pretty sure you are not going to hit a 3-run HR in that situation, Garrett, so why not bunt for an easy lead-off single?

3. The offense in general. Pirates are one of the most pull-conscious teams in the majors. Just note the prevalance of shifts. Personally, I believe the team would benefit from a more balanced hitting approach, including hit pitches on the outside corner to the opposite field.

4. The final score.

I agree with all but # 1. Alvarez did not look good. Thought he was swinging at some bad pitches, and he tried to pull an outside pitch and dribbled it to second. Of course I have a low tolerance for this guy, so maybe it's just me.

One thing to remember is the good pitching came against a terrible lineup. I do enjoy watching AJ pitch though...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

Why was GJ batting second?

Isn't Walker the better/best option there?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I agree with all but # 1. Alvarez did not look good. Thought he was swinging at some bad pitches, and he tried to pull an outside pitch and dribbled it to second.

He swung at strikes, and took balls for the most part. He looked soooo much better than he did in April of 2012 that there is really no comparison.

I feel better about the team after seeing his approach, particularly the first AB, where Samardzjia threw a first-pitch fastball and Pedro ripped at it, fouling it back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 pm 

with my blind loyality i put expectations on this team this year. think we have alot of good young talent and can break this string of losing seasons. maybe i'm just just gluton for punishment once again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:31 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
[
I agree with all but # 1. Alvarez did not look good. Thought he was swinging at some bad pitches, and he tried to pull an outside pitch and dribbled it to second. Of course I have a low tolerance for this guy, so maybe it's just me.

Yeah, let's harp on a guy who had 1 of the team's 3 hits and knocked in their lone run. :roll:

(Not trying to be snarky, but seriously, with the constant fan's nagging and negativity that seem to always follow this guy, such as your admitted "low tolerance" for him, maybe wait until it might be more applicable than one game in the books in which he was 1-4).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:

It was an abnormal line-up today, hence also both Jones and Gaby being in the line-up. Who knows with Hurdle, I get that maybe Gaby "earned" his opening day start after his great spring, but to me it shows a lack of confidence in Snider, I say you give Snider the opportunity to face the righty. I didn't really expect to see much of Jones in RF this year given that Tabata and Snider are both fighting for that playing time. And I agree with you, I said as soon as I saw the line-up that I'd swap Jones and Walker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm 

TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

It was an abnormal line-up today, hence also both Jones and Gaby being in the line-up. Who knows with Hurdle, I get that maybe Gaby "earned" his opening day start after his great spring, but to me it shows a lack of confidence in Snider, I say you give Snider the opportunity to face the righty. I didn't really expect to see much of Jones in RF this year given that Tabata and Snider are both fighting for that playing time. And I agree with you, I said as soon as I saw the line-up that I'd swap Jones and Walker.

Given the at bat that I saw from Snider, I'd say that a lack of confidence in him is justifiable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 pm 

I agree that Pedro looked good up there. His first at bat he was going for it, just guessed wrong on the last pitch. Still worked the count pretty decent. Last season in April he would of K'd as soon as the count went to 0-2. Came through at the end with a big RBI.

Can't harp too much on the offense, Samardzija was pretty filthy. Was hitting the upper 90's and then mixing the off speed/breaking stuff well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am 

TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

No complaints to starting Gaby and GJ, but agree about Walker. Maybe just picking nits, as putting Sky #2 might have only net a run difference in a two run game, but it just seemed odd to put a 'slugger' 2nd and so far above a better OBP guy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 am 

TheShark wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
[

Yeah, let's harp on a guy who had 1 of the team's 3 hits and knocked in their lone run. :roll:

(Not trying to be snarky, but seriously, with the constant fan's nagging and negativity that seem to always follow this guy, such as your admitted "low tolerance" for him, maybe wait until it might be more applicable than one game in the books in which he was 1-4).

Look...I was simply responding to Bucfan's post with my thoughts. I am not basing my "low tolerance" with Alvarez on one game(against a tough pitcher). I just don't care for the guy's attitude...and that is JUST MY OPINION...nothing more, nothing less. Feel free to disagree with me, most people do!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm 

Well, we took 2 of 3 from Philly last year after that kind of game 1, so lets forget all about that and make some broad conclusions based on 9 innings of baseball in 35 degree weather.

BTW, Pedro's single made an awfully nice sound off the bat. I don't remember him squaring the ball that well last April.

Hey, we are tied with the Reds and Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm 

I know it's only one game. But you have your ace pitcher, and at home. Against a team that lost over 100 games. Just seems like a team wanted to turn the tide would win the game. Set the tone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
I know it's only one game. But you have your ace pitcher, and at home. Against a team that lost over 100 games.

A one-word explanation for the showing:

Samardzjia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
TheShark wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
[

Look...I was simply responding to Bucfan's post with my thoughts. I am not basing my "low tolerance" with Alvarez on one game(against a tough pitcher). I just don't care for the guy's attitude...and that is JUST MY OPINION...nothing more, nothing less. Feel free to disagree with me, most people do!! :D

Your right, it is just your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Of course, you've never so much as spoken with the man, so we're free to assign a very low value to your opinion on Alvarez's attitude. I've heard many interviews of his teammates, and they all have uniformly praised his work ethic. I'll go with their opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Your right, it is just your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Of course, you've never so much as spoken with the man, so we're free to assign a very low value to your opinion on Alvarez's attitude. I've heard many interviews of his teammates, and they all have uniformly praised his work ethic. I'll go with their opinions.

I owe you an apology. I'm sorry for voicing my opinion on a Pirate player ON A FREAKING PIRATES FAN MESSAGE BOARD! Anyway, I figure all is right with the world if you have a low value of my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next