Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scranton pay cut..
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 pm 

In Scranton, PA city workers are fuming about their sudden pay decrease. The city's mayor says there isn't enough money to pay employees their regular wages. So, the most recent paychecks reflected minimum wage — no matter what workers' previous salaries had been.

I'm in the same boat as the guy who says he can't put gas in his car. I can't go to job interviews because I don't have money for gas.

http://wnep.com/2012/06/28/pain-of-the-pay-cut/

Post subject: Re: Scranton pay cut..
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm 

Mayor muat be Republican and a Tea Party man. Don't you agree up there in Boston, Bob?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm 

As Bucco Boy can attest, Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty, who is serving his third term, is a Democrat. That is to say, a member in good standing of the Democratic Party. Scranton has not had a Republican mayor since 1990.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:49 pm 

Bob--- I was just pulling your chain. It amazes me how fast you have reacted. Thanks for making me smile. I knew you would but so fast and seemingly controlled when my inference was where you live (and I don't mean Boston).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
As Bucco Boy can attest, Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty, who is serving his third term, is a Democrat. That is to say, a member in good standing of the Democratic Party. Scranton has not had a Republican mayor since 1990.

The city is full of corruption and big government. Doherty inherited a mess and made it worse. Why anyone would live within the city limits is beyond me? They are going to try to slap a commuter tax next which will affect me because I work in the city. A true train wreck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:26 pm 

I've been watching this on the news. Being from Johnstown, I have had to deal with the commuter tax for years. 20 years of distressed city status in Augus tunder The Financially Distressed Municipalities Act (Act 47). The city has a city manager and the mayor is just a glorified city councilman.

Next November, 2013, is the next city council elections and I am planning on running and have a few ideas on saving money and getting business going. I consider myself a middle of the fence guy, I flip my registration all the time depending on the primary elections and candidates running. But I think I'm running as a Democrat, though some of my ideas lean to the right.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hey, here's an idea:

Vice President Biden is from Scranton, right? Still has fond memories of the place. Enjoys telling stories about growing up there. So presumably he still cares about the city.

Meanwhile, he has been charging $2,200 a month rent for the Secret Service agents who protect his current residence in Wilmington, Del. (which, if you've never seen it, is an absolutely beauful lakeside home). The agents stay in a cottage that already was on the property when he and Obama were elected in 2008. Arguably, he doesn't need the money. And the Wilmington News Journal has reported that it asked the Secret Service whether any other elected official who is similarly protected charges rent. The answer was no.

So: $2,200/month x 43 months in office = $94,600. How about Biden cuts a check for that amount and donates it to the city of Scranton, which according to news reports is down to its last $5,000. That at least would buy the mayor a little time in meeting payroll while he and the city council work on a lasting solution to its financial problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Hey, here's an idea:

Vice President Biden is from Scranton, right? Still has fond memories of the place. Enjoys telling stories about growing up there. So presumably he still cares about the city.

Meanwhile, he has been charging $2,200 a month rent for the Secret Service agents who protect his current residence in Wilmington, Del. (which, if you've never seen it, is an absolutely beauful lakeside home). The agents stay in a cottage that already was on the property when he and Obama were elected in 2008. Arguably, he doesn't need the money. And the Wilmington News Journal has reported that it asked the Secret Service whether any other elected official who is similarly protected charges rent. The answer was no.

So: $2,200/month x 43 months in office = $94,600. How about Biden cuts a check for that amount and donates it to the city of Scranton, which according to news reports is down to its last $5,000. That at least would buy the mayor a little time in meeting payroll while he and the city council work on a lasting solution to its financial problems.

At this point if I was mayor I'd be thinking about going and getting some Powerball tickets with that $5,000.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...