Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Piratefan13 wrote:
Are you absolutely sure that its not the Will of God?

I am. It's the will of the Bush Administration. It's clear on the face of this Administration's executive orders.

In the words of Susan B. Anthony, "[t]he religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires."

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Willton wrote:
I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Jeremy. BBF, can you take my pulse?


I don't know if your health insurance will cover it, I'm afraid.

But maybe just this once, as long as you don't sue me if I screw it up.

:P


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:
I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Jeremy. BBF, can you take my pulse?


I don't know if your health insurance will cover it, I'm afraid.

But maybe just this once, as long as you don't sue me if I screw it up.

:P

I suppose I could tell you that I won't, but as Judge Greenaway said to me on my first day working for him, "The number one rule to remember in my chambers is this: lawyers lie." :D

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Quote:
Are you absolutely sure that its not the Will of God?


Yeah.....I am.


But even if I wasn't....there's this crazy thing called separation of church and state. Sarah Palin might want to look that one in all the free time she's going to have after the Republicans get crushed in the election.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:
Bristol Palin is as much of a sinner as Jaime Lynn Spears, so treat them the same way. Either that, or leave them both alone.


I vote to leave them both alone, I am pretty sure I've got some things in my past that doesn't give me any right to judge.



My son, my first born child, was conceived out of wedlock. I'm not a tad bit embarrassed by that. That's why I didn't say anything when the hypocrites in the media blasted her for getting knocked up when she did. At least she kept the kid and is going to marry the father.

The problem I have is with the hypocritical conservatives in this country who slam homosexuals and single moms until they have one in their group and then it's a giant "Oh Shit" movement as they scramble to look like they never said anything bad about them.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:
Bristol Palin is as much of a sinner as Jaime Lynn Spears, so treat them the same way. Either that, or leave them both alone.


I vote to leave them both alone, I am pretty sure I've got some things in my past that doesn't give me any right to judge.



My son, my first born child, was conceived out of wedlock. I'm not a tad bit embarrassed by that. That's why I didn't say anything when the hypocrites in the media blasted her for getting knocked up when she did. At least she kept the kid and is going to marry the father.

The problem I have is with the hypocritical conservatives in this country who slam homosexuals and single moms until they have one in their group and then it's a giant "Oh Shit" movement as they scramble to look like they never said anything bad about them.

Actually, when it comes to homosexuals, when one is in their midst, the conservatives call the issue off-limits. See Cheney's daughter.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Last edited by Willton on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Conservatives are great like that.


Last edited by Jeremy on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
That is another of the hate issues that the Republicans(Rove/Bush) used in the last several elections. Won't work anymore as Americans can see the light after many years of blindness.

Gayness won't work again so they use racism. That old tried and true hate issue just won't go away. Yeh, people won't openly admit to it (see polls) but in the privacy of the voting booth will again prove that ignorance is bliss.

What a country.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Too bad JC Watts isn't around anymore.


It was always funny to see the Republicans trot him out when they wanted to prove they weren't racist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
If you are going to claim race discrimination from conservatives, then the only thing you'd better be trotting out is some proof. The only player I see playing the race card in this election is Obama.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Are you absolutely sure that its not the Will of God?

I am. It's the will of the Bush Administration. It's clear on the face of this Administration's executive orders.

In the words of Susan B. Anthony, "[t]he religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires."


You sound like your convinced, but I assume you spoke to God and he informed you that is was all Bushs' fault? With all of the checks and balances set in place with this government, I find it very hard to believe that one guy, the President, was stirred with so much hate and content that he randomly attacked Iraq for no apparent reason.

Believe you me, many Dems were in approval when the decision was to go to Iraq. The one thing I'm sure of, is that if the war was quick and decisive, those same Dems would be taking the credit for their vigilance. The problem I have with Democrats is that when things get ugly, they can't stand firm and see them through.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Jeremy wrote:
Quote:
Are you absolutely sure that its not the Will of God?


Yeah.....I am.


But even if I wasn't....there's this crazy thing called separation of church and state. Sarah Palin might want to look that one in all the free time she's going to have after the Republicans get crushed in the election.


The separation between church and state was primarily established to deter radical religious sects from forcing a religion on a body of people, ensuring their right to worship whomever or whatever they called god. But you will deny a leader of this country his right to ask God for help in a situation, ensuring that he was to make the right decision. Frankly, I rather have a man of God in office who will try and do the right thing for God and Country than a self-serving fake Christian that makes decisions based soley on his warped sense of morals and a few scientific research documents. But thats what separates us in our beliefs, the allowable freedoms that are the reason this country is so great.

I can and will argue every post and every day that doing the Will of God is vital in not only the country, but in your own personal life. Many Christians will tell you what's wrong with you, why they are more spiritual than you are, and what they think you should do to "earn" your eternity. I say crap crap crap, I do not stand behind any Christian that proclaims he is better or more deserving of God's grace than anyone. Its all awarded to each of us without cost, simply by asking Jesus to forgive your sins and come into your life. By no means would I force my Christianity down anybody's throat, if you have questions, I'll answer them, with an honest heart.

But this world will end sooner or later, its written in the Bible in Revelations that Jesus is going to return and destroy ALL evil in this world. Signs of His arrival are vividly depicted, tabbing Isreal as the key nation of the end times, movement of all nations towards a one world governmnet to be headed up by the anti-christ, a man whom will be adored by the blinded but persecuted by the believers. Please be sure that you've weighed all the facts and information about what the oldest religious book has to offer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Piratefan13 wrote:
You sound like your convinced, but I assume you spoke to God and he informed you that is was all Bushs' fault? With all of the checks and balances set in place with this government, I find it very hard to believe that one guy, the President, was stirred with so much hate and content that he randomly attacked Iraq for no apparent reason.

No, I didn't speak to God, but I can guarantee you that nobody in the Administration spoke to God either about the merits of this war, no matter how much they may claim otherwise. You have to hold men accountable for these decisions, as it is man that makes such decisions, not some higher power.

The only thing that can legitimize a decision to go to war in Iraq is a compelling purpose, and saying that "It's God's will" does not do so, no matter who says it. In fact, in my mind, saying that "it's God's will" de-legitimizes such a decision. See Susan B. Anthony's quote above.

Oh, and I don't doubt that the Bush Administration had a reason. I just don't think it was a legitimate reason, especially given the lack of evidence supporting its purported reason.

Piratefan13 wrote:
Believe you me, many Dems were in approval when the decision was to go to Iraq. The one thing I'm sure of, is that if the war was quick and decisive, those same Dems would be taking the credit for their vigilance. The problem I have with Democrats is that when things get ugly, they can't stand firm and see them through.

Standing firm in this situation is like staying in Houston while Hurricane Ike hit: it may seem brave, but it's not the intelligent thing to do. It's hard to see anything through when there's no logical end in sight, especially when the monetary and human costs of doing so are so huge.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4072
Location: Zelienople, PA
No. 9 wrote:
And yet, despite the existence of the ALL POWERFUL LEFT, there is no shortage of conservative talk radio hosts and conservative blogs. In fact, I'd go so far as to bet that there are two conservative talk radio hosts for every one liberal radio talk show host...


While this is true, I wonder what your reaction will be when a veto-proof Pelosi/Reid congress with an Obama Presidency pass through, as publicly stated, the Fairness Doctrine. Thus, effectively shutting down those voices and free speech on the airwaves?

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Piratefan13 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Quote:
Are you absolutely sure that its not the Will of God?


Yeah.....I am.


But even if I wasn't....there's this crazy thing called separation of church and state. Sarah Palin might want to look that one in all the free time she's going to have after the Republicans get crushed in the election.


The separation between church and state was primarily established to deter radical religious sects from forcing a religion on a body of people, ensuring their right to worship whomever or whatever they called god. But you will deny a leader of this country his right to ask God for help in a situation, ensuring that he was to make the right decision. Frankly, I rather have a man of God in office who will try and do the right thing for God and Country than a self-serving fake Christian that makes decisions based soley on his warped sense of morals and a few scientific research documents. But thats what separates us in our beliefs, the allowable freedoms that are the reason this country is so great.

I can and will argue every post and every day that doing the Will of God is vital in not only the country, but in your own personal life. Many Christians will tell you what's wrong with you, why they are more spiritual than you are, and what they think you should do to "earn" your eternity. I say crap crap crap, I do not stand behind any Christian that proclaims he is better or more deserving of God's grace than anyone. Its all awarded to each of us without cost, simply by asking Jesus to forgive your sins and come into your life. By no means would I force my Christianity down anybody's throat, if you have questions, I'll answer them, with an honest heart.

But this world will end sooner or later, its written in the Bible in Revelations that Jesus is going to return and destroy ALL evil in this world. Signs of His arrival are vividly depicted, tabbing Isreal as the key nation of the end times, movement of all nations towards a one world governmnet to be headed up by the anti-christ, a man whom will be adored by the blinded but persecuted by the believers. Please be sure that you've weighed all the facts and information about what the oldest religious book has to offer.



I know that most "true believers" are some of the worst people I know.


I'm a spiritual person, but in no way am I a religious person. I don't go to church because I find it to be hypocritical. I don't trust anyone who claims to be doing "God's work" because there have been so many false prophets.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5341
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
ZelieMike wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
And yet, despite the existence of the ALL POWERFUL LEFT, there is no shortage of conservative talk radio hosts and conservative blogs. In fact, I'd go so far as to bet that there are two conservative talk radio hosts for every one liberal radio talk show host...


While this is true, I wonder what your reaction will be when a veto-proof Pelosi/Reid congress with an Obama Presidency pass through, as publicly stated, the Fairness Doctrine. Thus, effectively shutting down those voices and free speech on the airwaves?

ZM


If it happens and those voices are shut down, then I'll tip my hat and say that you were right. While I personally don't care for what I consider to be the ugly diatribe from the Hannitys and the Limbaughs on the right and don't care to waste my time listening to Air America on the left - it can be just as petty, ridiculous and ugly - it is political speech and the government should not shut either side down.

The very basis for freedom of speech is to put such speech to public scrutiny. I may disagree with it but that doesn't mean that I have to listen to it. Turn the channel, change the station or cancel a subscription.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
ZelieMike wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
And yet, despite the existence of the ALL POWERFUL LEFT, there is no shortage of conservative talk radio hosts and conservative blogs. In fact, I'd go so far as to bet that there are two conservative talk radio hosts for every one liberal radio talk show host...


While this is true, I wonder what your reaction will be when a veto-proof Pelosi/Reid congress with an Obama Presidency pass through, as publicly stated, the Fairness Doctrine. Thus, effectively shutting down those voices and free speech on the airwaves?

ZM


Also, No. 9, certainly you can't ignore the difference between preaching to the choir (talk radio) and preaching to the masses (cable tv news).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5341
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
BBF wrote:
Also, No. 9, certainly you can't ignore the difference between preaching to the choir (talk radio) and preaching to the masses (cable tv news).


For those that can't stand CNN, I suggest that you watch Fox News Channel. However, I'd suggest that anyone who finds Fox to be "fair and balanced" to watch Glen Beck on CNN . . . you'll likely him to your tastes. Sorry, I simply don't buy the cable tv news brainwashing a gullible public argument.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4072
Location: Zelienople, PA
I don't believe in the "gullible masses" concept myself. I also want a full range of voices out there in an open market. The range is what makes one, or the public, able to choose and I feel that the public has pretty much seen the length and breadth of political discourse on cable and radio, and still got their choice in politics.

You can talk about Beck and Hannity, but they are not reporting the news, the cable news and newspapers are, and that is where the biased treatment comes in. You bring up the Rev Wright earlier, and I find that a good example, but not to your point. Yes, Wright was brought to the airwaves, but only after months, and months of ignoring him. The media reporters tried to ignore him as 'unnewsworthy", until the Hillary camp brought it to the fore as she slipped behind.

Contrast that with Palin's pounding within hours after the nomination. A pounding of trash by bloggers that was not vetted by the anchors and news reporters, but swallowed whole and brought to market.. NOW.

That, I think, is the differance we see.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Liberalism's finest hour
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
ZM surely you must see that Palin was a terrible mistake. They keep her away from reporters almost always. Why? Did you see the Curic interview she did? WOW.

Think about it for a second please. Want her in charge of this country with this financial mess to deal with? Want her in charge, dealing with foreign countries and wars?

Remenber that McCain would be the oldest elected President ever. and he has had skin cancer four times already.

You aren't scared of that possibility? The only saving grace is that she can see Russia from her front porch.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits