Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vice Presidential Nominee Sarah Palin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:58 am 

Argentum wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:
Why? To me it's always okay to be a war hero. To Republicans, it's okay now. It wasn't okay in 2004 when Kerry opposed them, and it wasn't in 2000 when McCain was running against Bush in the primaries.

You have to be kidding me... Are you speculating that Kerry was a war hero? Man, you are even more delusional than I thought. And frankly, the use of Kerry and McCain in the same sentence when it has anything to do with war and being a hero is extremely disrespectful to McCain and our intelligence.

P13: Do we really want to get into debating the degree of "war hero"? I think McCain had it worse than most, but I'm not terribly comfortable saying Kerry wasn't a hero. There are conflicting reports for sure, but he was there, he suffered wounds, and he apparently served two tours. In my mind, either you were there, or you weren't. A cook who did his or her time behind the lines is a war hero in my opinion. I'm more interested in what he did when he got back to the States.

OK Argentum, I am completely and inexplicably wrong in that statement, I was insensitive to the notion that Kerry actually did serve his country in war, and that itself qualifies him as a hero. Reprimand accepted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:05 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
In my opinion the best case scenario for this falls elections would leave us with Obama in the White House and the Republicans in control of either the Senate or the House. Unfortunately, Republicans seem to be committed to losing even more seats in congress.

Yeah sure, you hope the Repubs grab one of the chambers. I almost believe that. At least Palin refused the bridge. You're trying to sell me one! :lol:

You should have no problem believing that if you believe that Palin refused the bridge. I guess that you believed her when she said this:

"I signed major ethics reforms and I appointed both Democrats and independents to serve in my administration. And I've championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. In fact, I told Congress, thanks but no thanks on that Bridge to Nowhere. If our state wanted a bridge, I said, we'd build it ourselves."

Congress killed the bridge to nowhere project in November of 2005, as outlined in this story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/17/polit ... ref=slogin

Sarah Palin was elected Governor of Alaska, November of 2006, and took office in December.

You wanna tell me again how Palin refused the bridge when Congress killed it 13 months before she took office?

Jim Demint of the Wall Street Journal writes:
Quote:
Mrs. Palin also killed the infamous Bridge to Nowhere in her own state. Yes, she once supported the project: But after witnessing the problems created by earmarks for her state and for the nation's budget, she did what others like me have done: She changed her position and saved taxpayers millions. Even the Alaska Democratic Party credits her with killing the bridge.

When the Senate had its chance to stop the Bridge to Nowhere and transfer the money to Katrina rebuilding, Messrs. Obama and Biden voted for the $223 million earmark, siding with the old boys' club in the Senate. And to date, they still have not publicly renounced their support for the infamous earmark.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:24 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
OK Argentum, I am completely and inexplicably wrong in that statement, I was insensitive to the notion that Kerry actually did serve his country in war, and that itself qualifies him as a hero. Reprimand accepted.

Not a reprimand at all. I've never served, so my opinion in this regard should not hold as much weight as yours, or Sisy's brother for that matter. I'm just a dude who thinks that anyone that makes the decision to serve their country is a hero. Sorry if I offended you, seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:28 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Not a reprimand at all. I've never served, so my opinion in this regard should not hold as much weight as yours, or Sisy's brother for that matter. I'm just a dude who thinks that anyone that makes the decision to serve their country is a hero. Sorry if I offended you, seriously.

No offense at all Argentum, I was wrong. SImple as that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:36 pm 

Oh what the hell. Why not add some healthcare, social security, and global warming to this discussion? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 pm 

and sprinkle in some abortion rights too, and top it with gay marriage!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am 

Well I'm glad to see people other than Sisy, P13, and myself are actually reading this thread to nowhere. But the comments were funny and added levity to a thread desperately needing it.

I'm a good sport, so I'll let Sisy have the last say and officially withdrawal from this arena with peace and honor............

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:11 am 

Willton wrote:

Econo, that is a great picture. I had that EXACT exchange with my wife Tuesday night, no crap. My wife thinks I'm an idiot, Sisy would probably like her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 am 

Argentum wrote:
Willton wrote:

Econo, that is a great picture. I had that EXACT exchange with my wife Tuesday night, no crap. My wife thinks I'm an idiot, Sisy would probably like her.

Hah!! I'm guilty! Nice heated debate. I'm out too. My fingers hurt from typing so much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:25 pm 

Not to get this going again, but I watched Palin in an interview with Katie Couric. Wow, she was bad. (Palin that is). Couric asked some tough questions in which Palin struggled with answers. But the part that really got me was when she tried to answer a question on Russia and got tongue-tied and finally said "Oh, I don't know" and giggled.

I won't judge the Presidential candidates on their VPs. To me, they are just political pawns. It just looked really bad. And actually, I felt bad for her. It was embarassing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:31 pm 

If Katie Couric is lighting you up, you're in deep shit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next