Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey all ...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:22 pm 

Just wanted to make an official "stop in" post. Been incredibly busy of late and haven't posted in quite a while with the new school year approaching soon and I've transferred to a new school still carrying the new job. Anywho, I'll be around longer this time, but just wanted to make a quick note since I know you all missed me. Go Bucs ... 8-)

Post subject: Re: Hey all ...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 pm 

I've missed your posts, man. Please stop in to talk some ECHL hockey later when the season starts, OK? I'm hoping your Cyclones players do well with Hamilton this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:28 am 

Glad to see that you're back.

We have a team in the ECHL in Wheeling. The Nailers. At one time, they were contenders but have like our Pirates have fallen on hard times in recent years. Their attendance has also fallen and interest is low.

Maybe you guys can re-kindle my interest in the Nailers this up coming season? I'll be watching for some conversation later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:42 am 

I follow the AHL because we have the Lake Erie Monsters here in Cleveland. They are the top team of the Colorado Avalanche. I watch them on TV but only attend their games when the Hamilton Bulldogs come to town as I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. All I know of the ECHL is Cincinnati because they're affiliated with the Habs as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:41 am 

Johnstown has an ECHL team, a big rival for them is Wheeling...They were affiliated with the Calgary, and Tampa Bay for a long time...

met a guy at my local watering hole who played with Sidney Crosby in the Junior Leagues, he was Sid's personal bodyguard so to speak...

I learned some cool things from the guy that night...In Canada a "new-fee" (thats how its pronounced, I dont know how to spell it) is somewhat like being a redneck in America...

Then to get him home I had to arm wrestle him at the bar, then chase him down the street to get him off the road because he was making snow angels in the middle of the street at 3am...He missed a few games right after this incident cuz I think I hurt his knee...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:54 pm 

Yeah I am pretty familiar with both the Nailers and Chiefs. I've been to WesBanco before (including twice last season). I like the retro feel to it with the orange seats an all ... kind of reminds me of our Cincinnati Gardens here. It's a shame the atmosphere is as dead as it is there, but yeah, not unlike the Pirates, it's not to be expected, especially being minor league hockey. I was there last year for the "Moondog" bobblehead which is the local bum who rides around on a bike with a bunch of flags on it. The place was full then, but atmosphere was still dead, which is normally what makes hockey so exciting, even for minor league.

Never been to the War Memorial for the Chiefs but would really like to make a trip there. The sad thing is that they have been rumored to go out for years and they are one of the oldest teams in the league remaining.

Ollie - I know we've discussed it a few times before, but that's cool that you're a Monsters fan. I haven't followed Cleveland hockey since the Lumberjacks (I still love that name and beaver logo) and Cyclones were together in the IHL, which then was the league below the NHL similar to how the AHL is now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 pm 

Just another little check in ... I am definitely happy with hockey season but will be back in full force come Spring training time ... Go Bucks ...

- Sharl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:33 pm 

Good to hear from you Shark...

Hockey is a fun time especially after football...

Tonight is definitely a good night for hockey if you're a Pen's fan...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:40 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Good to hear from you Shark...

Hockey is a fun time especially after football...

Tonight is definitely a good night for hockey if you're a Pen's fan...

Hell yeah it is. Kinda feel like a moron for cutting Syko from my fantasy team last week...of course someone scooped him up as soon as he cleared waivers. I do have Malkin and Gogo though, who are giving me some points.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 am 

Hey Shark!

I was wondering where you went...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:31 am 

Hi Shark! I'm really into hockey these days too.. can't get enough. My co-workers think I'm nuts because I'm not all gaga for the Cleveland Cavaliers right now.. I will definitely watch Le Bron and the boys in the playoffs but I find hockey much more exciting..

The Canadiens have been playing well but a bit inconsistent. They had a bad home game against Tampa Bay Thursday night.. face Ovechkin tonight. The loss to the Lightning was an example of playing down to their opponent.

More former Penguins on the roster. Robert Lang lends a great veteran presence and G. Laraque is already a Habs fan favorite.

Alex Kovalev has only five goals in 28 games. It's become a concern but he gets lots of assists still. The play of our goaltenders has been very good.

The Hamilton Bulldogs are doing well. Saw them play against Lake Erie once already. Veteran netminder Marc Denis (former Blue Jacket!) has outplayed Cedrick Desjardins though both would be fine in case of an emergency call up. David Desharnais looked good in the game I saw. Phenom Ben Maxwell may get called up with the injury to Habs Christopher Higgers. The Dogs are two points out of first place in the AHL North Division.

How are the Cyclones looking this year? Did Nashville call up someone there?

It's looking like my football team will be 0-15 going into their final game at Green Bay. I hope and pray we win that one. I don't want to hear about the 0-16 Lions for the rest of my lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:58 pm 

Ollie, you are the most dedicated sports fan I know...

Lions and Pirates fan.

God bless you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:17 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Hi Shark! I'm really into hockey these days too.. can't get enough. My co-workers think I'm nuts because I'm not all gaga for the Cleveland Cavaliers right now.. I will definitely watch Le Bron and the boys in the playoffs but I find hockey much more exciting..

How are the Cyclones looking this year? Did Nashville call up someone there?

Nice to hear from ya, Ollie. I had almost forgotten you were a Hamilton fan, glad to see they're doing better this year, with many of our Clones from last year's Kelly Cup Champion team (Desharnais, Desjardins, Aubin, Russell, Latindresse, the list goes on). I was thrilled to see them get Denis, being a Blue Jackets fan since their inception. I always had a soft spot for the guy, he was a better goaltender in the NHL than his records would indicate, look at the Columbus team that was in front of them in all of those early years with the CBJ. As for his stint in Tampa, well, that's just the story with the Lightning! It's not surprising that he would succeed at the AHL level. At the same time though, I've followed Desjardins the last two years here and I have no doubt he can be a great goalie in the 'A' as well.

The Cyclones are ... well let's just say not near the team they were last year. Obviously all the call-ups back to Hamilton, we really don't have much help from Nashville at all (besides the back-up goalie). We still have Thomas Beauregard who is Hamilton property and among the best players in the ECHL. However, Latindresse was just recalled to Hamilton a few days ago. He had the second most points in the whole league when called up, and was essential on Beauregard's line, so that screwed that up. Defense was the problem early, now it's the offense. We're still holding onto an above .500 record thanks to a five-game winning streak a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:11 am 

Have you been watching all the Blue Jackets games? Their games are not televised here on nights the Cavaliers play so I didn't get to watch the Jackets win over the Islanders last night. We were at Chuck E. Cheese all night anyway.

I taped Montreal's loss to Washington on NHL Network. Stayed up watching it until 2 a.m. Very disappointing. Halak has been great in place of an injured Carey Price but the Habs are showing no signs of offense. I think the Bruins won again so we must be 9-10 points behind them by now. I despise Boston. They are playing extremely well these days. I'm waiting for Georges Laraque to tangle with Lucic or Thornton once he gets healthy.

I love the name Beauregard! lol Another Letendresse at Hamilton? Obviously the brother of Guillaume Latendresse. Guillaume is playing now thanks to some injuries but he had been getting scratched lately thanks to the emergence of Matt D'Agostini. Montreal's third and fourth lines have been outplaying the top lines.

Hamilton has a good shot at winning the Calder Cup again, after winning it just two seasons ago. I'll be seeing the Bulldogs here at Quicken Loans Arena next month. Are Cyclones games televised there in the Queen City?

I will definitely watch the Columbus-Chicago game tonight. My favorite Jacket player these days is Voracek, the 19 year old Czech. He was awesome in the shootout win over Nasville the other night. The new goaltender is great as well. I can't believe Pascal Leclaire has lost his job!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:58 am 

We get the Jackets on FSN Ohio, besides the 10 or so games a year that get blacked out, ect. I haven't been able to follow them as close as I normally do this year, but have still got in a fair amount of games. We went up to Nationwide a few weeks to see them lose to the Coyotes ... it's hard to beat their "student rush" games ... with a college ID you can get seats in the lower bowl for $25. Mason has definitely been great in goal, and was much needed. While Leclaire is a great netminder himself, he is about as injury prone as they come. I was hoping this year he could finally stay healthy, but once again he hit the IR, and they desperately needed someone besides Frederic Norrena to replace him. At least they're hanging on to a .500 record at this point ... that should at least be a morale victory!

We don't get Cyclones games televised at all, unfortunately. I think it's just a minor league thing. In today's economy, I don't think many minor league teams (even AHL) are able to get a lot of games broadcasted anymore, especially with how much all minor league is down in attendance. Years ago in the 90s when the Clones played in the original IHL (now defunct obviously, it was the league below the NHL then) they would get a fair amount televised, back when you had great rivalries with the Cleveland Lumberjacks, Indianapolis Ice, ect. Ahh, the good ole days. A few friends of mine from the official Cyclones Fan Club went up to Quickens about a month ago or longer to cheer on the Bulldogs. Desharnais and Desjardins noticed them appreciated it.