Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When hazing goes WAY too far.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:26 pm 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilsonhigh

I played sports as a kid and I guess we had some hazing. But this goes far beyond hazing. I have no idea WTF is wrong with that town.

Post subject: Re: When hazing goes WAY too far.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:10 pm 

I'm honestly surprised that nobody has commented on this story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:35 pm 

As a teacher and a coach for the better part of 30 years and coming from western NY originally, I read the article with great interest. I must say that I have never been confronted with a situation like this one. This situation was way above and beyond anything acceptable. If the coaches were on the bus while this was going on and claim to be unaware of anything going on is laughable. My heart goes out to the victims of this. The perps in this incident just prove that teenagers can be real knuckleheads. The good , the bad, and the ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
As a teacher and a coach for the better part of 30 years and coming from western NY originally, I read the article with great interest. I must say that I have never been confronted with a situation like this one. This situation was way above and beyond anything acceptable. If the coaches were on the bus while this was going on and claim to be unaware of anything going on is laughable. My heart goes out to the victims of this. The perps in this incident just prove that teenagers can be real knuckleheads. The good , the bad, and the ugly.

What's really galling to me is the way the town reacted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:15 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
What's really galling to me is the way the town reacted.

Quoting townspeople from the original article:

"They took an incident and turned it into assault. We made national news because of this." - WOW, you didn't think that anal rape counts as assault? Now, I know firsthand that the media can be invasive and disturbing. I was a student on campus during the Virginia Tech shootings, and a large number of people were resentful of the seemingly endless media presence. But in both cases, it's something that you have to expect and be prepared to deal with. Not with hostility, but an appeal for understanding. You'd be surprised how many reporters are respectful of your wishes to simply go about your daily life and not bring up touchy subjects.

"I would be willing to bet most of the people in this room are angry. And I would be willing to bet some of them would like to take some of these reporters to the back of the bus." - WOW times infinity. Whoever said this, you get the Boneheaded Insensitive Commentary of the Year award. Wear it with shame. Or pride, if you want.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
"I would be willing to bet most of the people in this room are angry. And I would be willing to bet some of them would like to take some of these reporters to the back of the bus." - WOW times infinity. Whoever said this, you get the Boneheaded Insensitive Commentary of the Year award. Wear it with shame. Or pride, if you want.

When I read that...flashing red lights went off in my head. Me thinks this sort of pseudo-homosexual behavior has been going on in that town for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:53 pm 

I see very little that is accomplished by hazing, especially in high school sports. Kids that sign up for these teams are not joining the Army, so they don't need this type of abuse to "toughen up." The only thing that hazing accomplishes is creating hostility between the classes of players/members.

The behavior mentioned in the article is a result of what happens when hazing goes unchecked. The town's reaction to it is shocking and disturbing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 pm 

I am not surprised by the townspeople reaction. We had a player on the varsity team that I helped coach this past season who was dismissed from the team because he took a dump in the back of the truck of another team member that he didn't like. Genius that he is, he did it in the parking lot which is monitored by remote cameras. When informed that he was dismissed from the team and supsended from school, he went into a tirade of F bombs, threw a water bottle across the AD's office and went bonkers. His father went off on the principal and AD too. Previous to this, he was suspended from school for skippping school and taking two minor girls to his house where they got drunk and screwed all afternoon.. He was also suspended his Jr. year for smacking his pregnant girlfriend in the hallway at school and knocking her down. Since the season he has been arrested for stealing beer from a convenience store. During the Connie Mack World Series in Farmington NM, he was also arrested. Heard enough? His dad used to call pitches from the stands during middle school games when I coached him at that level. True genius'.

Sad part is he throws 90-92 and had a good chance of getting drafted. No scout in his right mind would risk bonus money on this knucklehead. He is going to Jr. college but I don't know how he will stay eligible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:39 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I am not surprised by the townspeople reaction. We had a player on the varsity team that I helped coach this past season who was dismissed from the team because he took a dump in the back of the truck of another team member that he didn't like. Genius that he is, he did it in the parking lot which is monitored by remote cameras. When informed that he was dismissed from the team and supsended from school, he went into a tirade of F bombs, threw a water bottle across the AD's office and went bonkers. His father went off on the principal and AD too. Previous to this, he was suspended from school for skippping school and taking two minor girls to his house where they got drunk and screwed all afternoon.. He was also suspended his Jr. year for smacking his pregnant girlfriend in the hallway at school and knocking her down. Since the season he has been arrested for stealing beer from a convenience store. During the Connie Mack World Series in Farmington NM, he was also arrested. Heard enough? His dad used to call pitches from the stands during middle school games when I coached him at that level. True genius'.

Sad part is he throws 90-92 and had a good chance of getting drafted. No scout in his right mind would risk bonus money on this knucklehead. He is going to Jr. college but I don't know how he will stay eligible.

There's a lot of that kind of thing out here. Kids just seem wilder on the Left Coast.

Thank God I'm going back to Mississippi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:23 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
There's a lot of that kind of thing out here. Kids just seem wilder on the Left Coast.

Yeah as soon as you cross the state line all is well, safe and sound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:26 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Yeah as soon as you cross the state line all is well, safe and sound

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:46 pm 

There are knuckleheads everywhere, trust me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
There are knuckleheads everywhere, trust me.

We have one on this board!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

There's a phrase I never thought I'd hear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

There's a phrase I never thought I'd hear.

Yeah well you've never lived in Tucson. If I never see the West Coast again, I'll be thrilled!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:56 am 

This reminds me of the Glen Ridge, NJ, incident from 1989 (group of popular jocks from affluent families gang-rapes developmentally-challenged girl; parents of perps create media circus arguing that their sons are victims.)

Give kids an unbridled sense of entitlement without corresponding senses of social and ethical awareness and events like this will happen over and over and over again.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:58 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
This reminds me of the Glen Ridge, NJ, incident from 1989 (group of popular jocks from affluent families gang-rapes developmentally-challenged girl; parents of perps create media circus arguing that their sons are victims.)

Give kids an unbridled sense of entitlement without corresponding senses of social and ethical awareness and events like this will happen over and over and over again.

I think I remember seeing a Law and Order episode that tracked the Glen Ridge story. I suppose we'll see Law and Order episode that tracks this story as well.