Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Business
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:12 pm 

I havent been around much since the Pirate collapse partly because of the smell of dead bandwagon jumpers. Also, I just ventured into dangerous territory given the state of the economy, I bought my own building and the businesses with it. I just have not had the time.

I was selling some advertising for a friend of mine who had a magazine (an entertainment and dining guide for Johnstown). He has clients and work all over the country and has a few offices around. So he offered me the building, the business, and partial rights to the magazine.

So, I jumped at it. I am now the owner of two businesses: A copy, fax, and small print shop and my music store. I moved it out from the variety store and it's on its own now. I have small offices I plan on renting out to people to give lessons, and have a space in the back I plan on turning into a recording studio once the funds start rolling in. It also has a living quarters in the basement and a 2nd room with access from the street to rent as a small store or office.

I have a ton on my plate right now. It's quite exciting and a bit scary too. I have a few roof issues. Leaks! Who in their right mind puts a flat roof on a building in Pennsylvania? I also have a newspaper that has an interest in the magazine and I have a meeting with them next week. I think they want to buy the rights to it before I get a chance to publish my 1st issue.

So until I get established, I am still working my group home job doing the overnight shifts and then this during the day. If I could only find 12 steady gigs a week I could quit the group home thing, but playing music is tough around here. With all the I-Pods and laptops, everyone and their cousin is a DJ and undercuts working musicians.

All in all, it is going to be an interesting new journey.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: New Business
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:35 pm 

I wish you every success, dan. Sounds courageous and exciting at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:31 am 

From one fellow musician to another, best of luck dan! You're doing something to better your life and career and that's admirable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:04 am 

Well let me be the first to congratulate you. It sure sounds like you have the energy to be successful at it, which is a big part of it.

I just work my day job, which I don't have to leave the house for, and am too lazy to go out and book gigs. I play one here and there when they fall into my lap, and that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:44 pm 

Congrats, Dan. I wish you luck. I started my own business last year. It's a lot of work, but rewarding (not financially yet). If I ever need a music lesson or print job in Johnstown, you will be the man.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 pm 

Congrats on the venture hope all goes well. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Congrats! I've had to start my business over twice (damn wife for getting great jobs in different cities) and believe me, I feel your pain! Good luck!

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC