Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Time marches on
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Substitute2 wrote:
Baseball cards with gum were also a nickel - about 20 in a pack

Back in my heyday of collecting cards there were only three companies, Topps, Fleer and Donruss. Topps were everywhere while Fleer and Donruss were a little tougher to find. The Topps packs were $.35 and came with a fantastic stick of pink cardboard (some would call it gum) and would leave a nice stain on the last card in the pack.

Upper Deck came along in 1989 and revolutionized the industry. Not only did they bring amazing quality and style to the cards, they also helped to hike up the prices. I was amazed they had the balls to charge $.99 a pack. A few years later the price of cards became too great and I was out of the game.

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
Baseball cards with gum were also a nickel - about 20 in a pack

Back in my heyday of collecting cards there were only three companies, Topps, Fleer and Donruss. Topps were everywhere while Fleer and Donruss were a little tougher to find. The Topps packs were $.35 and came with a fantastic stick of pink cardboard (some would call it gum) and would leave a nice stain on the last card in the pack.

Upper Deck came along in 1989 and revolutionized the industry. Not only did they bring amazing quality and style to the cards, they also helped to hike up the prices. I was amazed they had the balls to charge $.99 a pack. A few years later the price of cards became too great and I was out of the game.

Back in my hayday, it was only TOPPS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Animal wrote:
Back in my hayday, it was only TOPPS!

Oh come on, back in your heyday it only came in tobacco cans! ;)

Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
FOX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 pm 

I have numerous Post Cereal cards from 61.62,63. They were actually the back panel of the cereal box which contained 8-10 cards. Still have all my cards from childhood, except of course the ones we used on our bikes that were clipped on with clothespins. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:58 pm 

I never really like the 'traditional' baseball cards. I had a lot, but they kind of 'bored' me. Its not that they weren't great, but I really dug the TOPPS METAL series because they had more going on.

I still have nearly the entire 1997 (and maybe even the 98) series (probably 75+%).

Those cards were so absurd that they were awesome!

There were also so pretty sweet Donruss cards somewhere around 99-00 that were as thick as credit cards that were glossy and had some sick script! If I can recall the year/make, I'll post a pic of those beauties.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Back in my heyday of collecting cards there were only three companies, Topps, Fleer and Donruss. Topps were everywhere while Fleer and Donruss were a little tougher to find.

Fleer did baseball cards? Didn't know that. When I was a young 'un, Fleer bubble gum came in little squares wrapped in waxed-paper comic strips.

One year, I had a complete set of Topps cards, of which I was extremely proud. Had them all indexed by team and position. That summer, the family went on vacation to the Thousand Islands in upstate New York, and while we were going somewhere in the car one day, my little sister rolled down the window on her side of the back seat. The wind current peeled off every #@&% card in the stack and blew it out of the car. We were on a busy road, so going back to retrieve them was out of the question. Eventually, I was able to forgive her. But it took a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I have numerous Post Cereal cards from 61.62,63. They were actually the back panel of the cereal box which contained 8-10 cards. Still have all my cards from childhood, except of course the ones we used on our bikes that were clipped on with clothespins. 8-) 8-)

The post cards were cool...although I did not get them when the originally came out.

I think my all time favorites were the Kelloggs 3-D cards from the 70's and early 80's and I like the Hostess Panels from the 70's. Of course, to get the cards, you had to eat the Ho-Ho's!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 am 
 WWW  Profile

Animal wrote:
I think my all time favorites were the Kelloggs 3-D cards from the 70's and early 80's and I like the Hostess Panels from the 70's. Of course, to get the cards, you had to eat the Ho-Ho's!

Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
FOX