Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: let's talk God (Religion) for awhile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:01 pm 

I am interested in hearing more from Piratefan 13 and his thoughts about religion and Christianity as it relates to Isalm and to Jewdeism. Anyone think it's worth our time?

What about religion in our lives today in America? It's role in government?
What intersts you?

Post subject: Re: let's talk God (Religion) for awhile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:51 pm 

Hey sub,

From my experiences, Religion will take you to Hell faster than anything. Religion to many is merely showing up at church and putting the time in. Sorta like Derek Bell.

For me, I have actually become a bit suspect of even being called a Christian because its a broad label that encompasses guys like the Obama's former pastor Rev. Wright. He claims to be a Christian but yet spews hate from the pulpit. I don't buy into that.

I have a personal relationship with Christ, to many Religion and Christianity seems daunting and confusing, and it need not be. Many may be familiar with the term "born again." Unfortunately many Christians have adopted a holier than thou attitude and love to be condescending to non-Christians and even other Christians. I for one have been a victim of another Christian casting judgement on me that caused years of problems for myself. What I always tell people in search of answers about Christianity is that the relationship is with Christ, and you don't have to prove yourself to another human. You cannot rely on humans, but you can ALWAYS rely on Jesus.

Another misconception about Christians is that once we become "born again," we become gentle sissies that keep turning our cheek yelling out "Jesus loves you." There are men that do have a gentle spirit and thats great but for the most part men are wild ("Wild at Heart" by John Eldridge is a great read), adventurous, and free. The ministry I am involved in is in the motorcycle club world, I ride with a motorcycle club called the "Sons of God," we spend time building relationships with some of the toughest guys in the country. (http://www.sonsofgodmc.org/)

I think what bothers me the most about our country and its infatuation with protecting "religion." We go out of our way to make Muslims, Buddhists, etc. feel welcome and free to operate which is ok and constitutional, but when my rights are being infringed as a Christian because Muslims and others are being afforded extra consideration, then I get a little upset. I think America forgets that Muslims and Christians have been warring for centuries and that the war in Iraq is something that we just started to make ourselves look tough. As I said in the other thread, Muslims are tought to hate Christians, Christians are taught to love all including our enemies. Thats one of the fundamental differences.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:00 pm 

Thanks for sharing that with me and others. I have some different kind of views about Christianity too. Don't have time now but I hope to get some soon to let you know more about me Thanks again,

Sub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 pm 

My sister is born again. My father is a Christian, too, but his sect is different (his church believes that only members of his sect are saved.. all other Christian denominations are false religions.) My siblings and I grew up in a very strict Christian fundamentalist setting (the sect is very different though.. we didn't celebrate Christmas because it's a manmade tradition.)

In that church (Church of Christ) people are not baptized until they confess publicly that they believe in Jesus. I was never baptized because I was too shy to get in front of the congregation. After some time I started to doubt the stuff they were preaching (we attended church twice on Sundays and once every Wednesday night.) Eventually I became interested in other cultures, started learning about eastern religions, etc. In the rural Ozarks everyone is white so I was never exposed to other ethnicities, cultures.. I was intrigued. I got into everything from PFunk to Japanese pop music.

The best thing about America is our cultural diversity. We're not all that different deep down. I use to despise Christians myself (one of my brothers is a hardcore atheist. I've softened considerably compared to him.) We should have never judged all Christians based on our screwy childhood. I married a Catholic girl and have become more tolerant as a result. With her influence I've even flip flopped my view on abortion (just like a politician!) When I became a father for the first time I found myself becoming more conservative. I can't stand all the negativity on TV and don't want my kid watching garbage like "Family Guy."

I don't consider myself a member of any religious group though I have been a disciple of sorts of an Indian holy man who lived in the early part of this century. I don't talk about it anyone. My kid was baptized as a Roman Catholic. It's funny because my family really looked down on Catholics (the church told members not to vote for John F. Kennedy!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 am 

Its a shame Ollie how Christians isolate folks isn't it. I am sure your sister will tell you that becoming born again is the easiest decision of your life. You don't need some overpowering minister, or overzealous Jesus Freak pressuring you, all you need is a few moments alone with God, yous ask him for his forgivenenss, agknowledge that you are a sinner(everyone is a sinner, no exclusions),ask him to come into your heart and take up resident there and take control of your life. Thats it, thats easy, then you find yourself a good Bible based church or if you don't know what to look for in a church, watch Charles Stanley on TV, he is a very solid teacher of the word. But don't just listen to him, grab some knowledge from other guys like Joel Osteen, Ed Young(younger one), and some good information about Isreal is had from John Hagee. I think you'll get more fullfillment from being a Christ follower. More to come later, I gotta run.

P.S. Don't let misguided Christians dictate your own personal decisions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Muslims are tought to hate Christians, Christians are taught to love all including our enemies. Thats one of the fundamental differences.

Not true. There are some Muslim sectors that are extreme and tought to hate Christians. I have worked and been good friends with Muslims, my brother in law is Muslim, my wife's sister married him and converted to Muslim and there is no hate towards Christians.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:27 pm 

Quote:
I for one have been a victim of another Christian casting judgement on me that caused years of problems for myself.

I can relate to that. My experience is that certain people use religion to mask the fact that they're petty gossips.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:14 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Muslims are tought to hate Christians, Christians are taught to love all including our enemies. Thats one of the fundamental differences.

Not true. There are some Muslim sectors that are extreme and tought to hate Christians. I have worked and been good friends with Muslims, my brother in law is Muslim, my wife's sister married him and converted to Muslim and there is no hate towards Christians.

There is a historical fued between Muslims and Christians all stemming from Abrahams sons Isaac and Ishmael. I am glad your friends don't hate Christians, they are educated and decent people, but the vast majority will attest to the fact that this conflict has been waged throughout the ages. Not a matter of opinion, but fact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:42 pm 

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_Muslim ... ns_so_much

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:19 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No way.

Religious talk should be done where it belongs, in the bars with guns and knives available! :twisted:

(no pun intended on the smilie)

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_Muslims_hate_Christians_so_much

You've got wiki answer and I've got the Bible, history and quotes from the Koran. If you believe what that says in that article, I've got a top tier prospect to trade to you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:15 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_Muslims_hate_Christians_so_much

You've got wiki answer and I've got the Bible, history and quotes from the Koran. If you believe what that says in that article, I've got a top tier prospect to trade to you.

I think you paint with a really broad brush, PF13, and I know a number of Muslims that would take exception with your characterization of the Qu'ran (not Koran). I suggest you turn off Fox News and see for yourself by visiting a mosque and asking questions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:46 pm 

There's a beautiful big mosque with a golden dome in a Cleveland suburb. The day after 9-11 some knucklehead drove his car through the front door of that place causing lots of damage.

Then we had a big controversy here. The feds came and removed their imam a couple of years ago because they found a 1991 video tape of him (in a New York City mosque) calling Jews "pigs & monkeys." Supposedly he had connections with terrorist organizations. The funny thing is that a year or two before that I went to a cultural festival thing (celebrating wedding gowns of Islam) and that imam was there. I walked past him as he was angrily saying something about Jews to some people. I felt sorry for his family because the U.S. tried to deport him but Jordan wouldn't accept him. I don't know what ever became of him.

Haviung said that I still think the majority of Muslims are good people. I like that the mosque here includes all races of people.