Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Greensburg Six....
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 pm 

Any of you locals been following the Westmoreland Murder Trial of the first member of "The Greensburg Six?" How disgusting. I know the first one was a juvenile at the time of the killing, but I think she deserves the Death Penalty like the rest of them. She was in my daughter's class and they actually had a couple classes together.

Thoughts?

Now another question....one of the girls came forward against her attorney's advise, without a plea bargain and testified. If you were the DA, would you offer her a deal and spare her life (like the death penalty is ever going to happen anyway.) for her cooperation?

Would you offer any of them a deal to save the victim's family the heartache of five more trials, and save the Commonwealth the expense?

My own personal opinion is that I would make the deal. While I believe they all deserve the death penalty, I really don't believe it would ever happen with the way our judicial system is.... I think the benefits of making the deal would outway any chance they would ever get put to death.

Oh, and one last thing for you locals, Rita Hathaway is a phenomenal judge!

Post subject: Re: The Greensburg Six....
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:10 pm 

In most instances, as the DA, I think you offer a deal like life without parole. Sometimes in cases like this public pressure can be great, though, and that could definitely influence the way the office pursues this matter. With this being such a high profile matter and (more importantly) awful injustice it may be prudent to seek the death penalty for all available parties.

It also comes down to how you feel personally about the death penalty. I'm not staunchly for or against it. It's not really, in my opinion, an effective deterrent. Then you're just left with the death penalty being a remedy for injustice and a method of achieving retribution. Sadly, the loss that this woman's family feels isn't going to go away because her killers are also killed. Nothing can bring her back or take away the hours of her suffering so why seek revenge? I know it's more complicated than this for her family and couldn't imagine walking in their footsteps. As DA, though, I think this is how I would like to look at it. As I already mentioned, though, there might be a ton of pressure to pursue the death penalty in this case and maybe that's the way to go.