Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ichiro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

This drives me crazy. He has been playing professional baseball in our country for nearly a decade and still can't (or doesn't) speak English. Can anyone explain this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns

Post subject: Re: Ichiro
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:32 am 

Slow learner?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:39 pm 

Why does he have to?

There is no official language in the United States. Plus it's probably less stressful on him not having to speak directly to the media all the time.

Also there is a significant percentage of the population of Asian origins in Seattle. They're 4th biggest in Asian population, behind San Fran, San Jose, and San Diego.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:58 pm 

Don't be misled by Passan's journalistic freedom with his story. Ichiro speaks english nearly fluently, he just chooses to use an interpreter during formal situations like interviews. I believe that this is a cultural thing for the japanese. My company has consultants from Toyota come in every quarter to help with improvements in our manufacturing processes. They have an interpreter throughout the day, but when you have "after hours" with them, you find out that they have a better grasp of the english language than everyone in the southeastern US.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 am 

Don't want to offend anyone, but come on, they speak better English than in the American Southeast? Not considered the best syntexed part of the country.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 pm 

Last year's Miss Universe was from Japan. She used an interpreter during the pageant. The next day she was on Regis & Kelly or some show and she got by quite well.

My wife is Filipina. English is her third language (the third language of the majority of Filipinos.) She has a great English vocabulary but Filipino English is slightly different. She always asks me to talk on her behalf on the phone, etc. Filipinos make fun of Filipinos who speak English poorly (this is not a generalization) and they assume that we westerners will laugh behind their backs too.

Hundreds of foreigners live and work in Tokyo and don't bother to learn the language. Our cultures are soooo different.
I myself experienced culture shock in Japan. Of course Ichiro has been here several years, but I read somewhere that Hideki Matsui still experienced loneliness after more than a couple of years here. He supposedly eats in Japanese restaurants alone after games, etc. I think life in the U.S. was very difficult for the reliver Sasaki as well. Many Japanese people can't adopt a western palate, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:41 pm 

Losing face is a huge fear among the Japanese. They'll go to extraordinary lengths to avoid doing it. This is probably an additional precaution he takes to avoid saying anything stupid in front of the US media.

Plus the US is not exactly a warm and inviting place.