Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frank McCourt's idiot lawyer = a BigLaw partner
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:25 pm 

For those of you who have any interest in the Frank/Jamie McCourt split and its consequences regarding the Dodgers, here's an interesting little article regarding their bungling lawyer. Not only is the guy an idiot for doing things that a 3rd year law student knows not to do, but he's apparently also a partner in the giant Boston law firm, Bingham McCutchen.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... ing-2.html

Quote:
At issue is the embarrassing spectacle of Larry Silverstein handling a simple contract drafting exercise for Jamie and Frank McCourt. The rich erstwhile couple feud over ownership of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team—a feud protracted because of Silverstein’s inexplicable bungling that was confounded by conduct verging on the unethical.

A California court hearing the McCourt divorce case released an opinion declaring invalid the couple’s contract that Silverstein prepared. The contract was invalid because Silverstein botched it. His errors culminated in the existence of two versions of a single contract, one declaring that the Dodgers belonged solely to Frank and the other that the team was the couple’s joint property. The contract thus failed elementary requirements of contract law and basic requirements of California law applicable to marital asset splits.

Post subject: Re: Frank McCourt's idiot lawyer = a BigLaw partner
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm 

The case is in the Central District. I know when there is a McCourt hearing, as when I walk from my office to the courthouse, I see the news vans lined up on the street outside of the court. That was true yesterday morning.

And as for the contract ... the lawyer's testimony about the contract identifying the Dodgers are Frank McCourt's separate property was summarized in the news several weeks ago. If the summary of his testimony is accurate, I would be stunned if he is not reported to the State Bar and sued for malpractice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:24 pm 

Are you poking fun at 3Ls?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:52 pm 

NDL wrote:
Are you poking fun at 3Ls?

As someone who was a 3L not too long ago, I wouldn't dream of it. That said, I would expect a bit more knowledge of the basic elements of lawyering from (1) a BigLaw partner as senior as Silverstein, and (2) a firm that engages in the amount of gratuitous self-promotion that Bingham does.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:00 am 

I would too, Willton.