Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unemployment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:44 pm 

Don't know what to think here and wondering what you think about extending unempoyment benefits. This article explains where we are. I found it interesting and issue facing Congress right now.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/caree ... /19704523/

Post subject: Re: Unemployment
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:16 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Don't know what to think here and wondering what you think about extending unempoyment benefits.

Terrible idea.

But it makes sense considering Americans appear to just want, want, want nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 am 

I am dead against long term unemployment benefits. You should get your 6 months and that's it.

These 6.8 million long term unemployed could be a real source of productivity for the American economy. Instead the Federal Government borrows money to pay them to sit on the couch.

I understand the other side of the argument; make it if you must. I just don't agree with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 am 

There should be jobs programs that allow for unemployed and able bodied welfare recipients. They should work for the benefits. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 am 

I think you should get your 6 months and then if you want more, you have to do community service to earn the next 6 months and beyond. Even if it's picking up garbage or feeding the homeless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:56 am 

bucco boy wrote:
I think you should get your 6 months and then if you want more, you have to do community service to earn the next 6 months and beyond. Even if it's picking up garbage or feeding the homeless.

That would make the unemployment rate skyrocket. Not because jobs would be lost, but because people who don't work (including the homeless) would suddenly start doing community service to get unemployment benefits. It would essentially turn unemployment into a job.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:00 pm 

Willton wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

That would make the unemployment rate skyrocket. Not because jobs would be lost, but because people who don't work (including the homeless) would suddenly start doing community service to get unemployment benefits. It would essentially turn unemployment into a job.

You can't get unemployment unless you had a job in the first place. And maybe welfare recipients should also have to do community service to earn the government money they receive. These people are getting money anyway. Why don't we at least get something back for the money the taxpayers are dishing out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:

Yeah, but the streets would be clean!

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 pm 

Don't want any of you to go into hyterical shaking but I kind of agree here. Once you have gotten 26 weeks paid for by the state, you should either be on your own or sign up for welfare which is much less costly. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with demanding community service to recieve benefits. Doesn't have to be demeaning but a service to the rest of us who are paying for your benefit.

How's that for such a Democrat to say.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:44 am 

Kind of like the CETA jobs program of the 70's and 80's. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 pm 

Well I am one of those 99ers.. after January I will have no income. It's scary, man. Fortunately we're close to pay-
ing off our car.. otherwise we'd have no money for food. I've paid my taxes for 26 years. I don't feel bad that I'm
making $7 an hour as a jobless American. I know a guy in Holland who has been on the dole for twenty years.

Some days I pound the pavement, other weeks I don't do a damn thing. I can't get into Mc Donald's or Wal-Mart.
I've filled applications for all of them. Jobless Michiganders are coming here and taking some of the manufacturing
jobs I want.

I have a lot of experience but few factories are hiring. When I go for a job interview thirty men show up for one
damn job. Almost all factories only want temporary employees now. I've worked at two factories.. one let me go
after two months. I enrolled in classes at an employment center. All they tell you is to brainstorm, do cold calling.
I couldn't afford gas to go there so I had to stop.

My wife earns $10.19 an hour as a background check investigator. She started that job at $10/hr.. yes, nineteen
cents in raises in four years.

The middle class will be gone.. I don't want to pick cabbages in a field. My family will be better off in the Philippines
one day in the future.