Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guitar talk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 pm 

I went to Guitar Center the other day for a set of strings. My strat hadn't been used much the last few years and needed new wires. I was also interested in checking out some of the Epiphone line guitars which are really inexpensive. Plugged a used (69 bucks) Les Paul Jr., epiphone style into a used Paul Reed Smith head and cab. IT sounded killer and the amp set up was great. You could have had the head and cab for about 500. It was a kind of light brown with off white trim and some cool funky knobs. I then tried an Epi Les Paul Special (99 bucks) and it was equally impressive sounding and even moreso becasue of the 2 hum bucker set up and the options that it allowed. Jeez for a beginner or someone who just doesn't want to spend big bucks, it was a no brainer. I would like to take in my 64 black face Fender Deluxe in and see how they sounded through it. Fun! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Guitar talk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:27 pm 

I wish I could find those kind of deals at the Guitar Center in Monroeville...

I saw a Fender Squire semi-hollow body telecaster for $200 once, but it was beat to hell...

I got a guy I know we're getting ready to do some business dealings together. He custom builds guitars and has been buying parts at retail cost, but with me I can get them at dealer cost. So, we can both now make some $$$ on the deal, as he is going to use my store to display them.

He is currently building a Les Paul Jr. copy and should be in the store in a few weeks. I will post pictures when it arrives. He's gonna let me go gig with it when it's ready, to give it a nice friendly test drive.

He also has a request to build an ES 335 for a friend of mine.

If anyone ever sees the brand Stadium out and about, it's made by a company in Korea that does contracted work for Ibanez and Epiphone. I have an SG model I bought with the Stadium brand on it to sell. It's the exact same guitar part for part at $200 cheaper.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:01 pm 

I also love the Jr.'s because the fretboard is slightly shorter which makes it great for beginners and kids. They are light and you don't fell like you are carrying an anvil around your neck like a Les Paul. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:49 am 

I bought an Epi Les Paul last year at Guitar Center in Robinson. Paid $400. It is a very nice looking guitar (red wine colored), and it plays and sounds just fine to me. It is a bit heavy but that doesn't bother me. Until the end of the last set that is.

I'm always drawn to the acoustic room when I go there. If I were rich I would have a room like that in my house.

For strings check out JustStrings.com.