Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon Stewart's Moment of Sincerity
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:49 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
I am Bucfan. Not only do I approve of this message, but I wrote it, without the help of 12 writers!! :D

You also do not have a show that people watch, and you don't do comedy for a living. Do you think it would be fair for me to start criticizing you for practicing law while having your briefs and other documents drafted by paralegals and associate attorneys?

Take the stick out of your ass.

Likewise.

Bucfan wrote:
Is Stewart your mom?

Did Stewart take your lunch money when you were a child?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:52 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Stewart does comedy quite well? Yeah, I guess that's why he's hosting a show on a second rate cable channel.

It's better than not hosting a show, and I'm sure that you would be very happy to receive his salary. Furthermore, Stewart has been offered gigs on major networks, but he's stayed with Viacom and Comedy Central because they give him the freedom to do the show he wants to do.

Prove it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:53 pm 

Willton wrote:
Likewise.

Hey, sport, you started with the personal comments here.

YOU.

Don't like it, don't start it.

Willton wrote:
Did Stewart take your lunch money when you were a child?

No, as I would have kicked his ass had he tried.

But now that he is so much smarter than everybody else, he can act as a mouthpiece for the only people who can steal from me and not face consequences.

Your earnings will increase pretty quickly, Willton. I will be interested to see your views in about 5 years.

Believe me, I did not hold these ultra-conservative economic views in 1985.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:55 pm 

I think what we're both wondering is why you're going to such lengths to defend Stewart's blatant bias. So you're a fan of his. Other people aren't. Are you so self-centered and narcissistic that you think everyone has to see things your way?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Well let's see. You book a comedian who mocks Catholics by posing as a priest and then say we're not mocking people of faith.

Once again, how do you not get this?

This is pretty much SOP for Stewart. He mocks people using his bad brand of comedy and then when he gets called on it, he comes back by saying people should have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry, are you saying that the character Father Guido Sarducci, a character from SNL back in the 1970's, is mocking people of faith? Do you even know who Father Guido Sarducci is? When has he ever been decried as mocking Catholics?

Have you no sense of humor at all? You must be really fun at parties.

No matter what you might have been told, making fun of people you see as not being as smart as you isn't having a sense of humor. It's called being an asshole.

And is that what you think the character of Father Guido Sarducci is doing? Making fun of people less intelligent than he? Can you show me an example please?

Jeremy wrote:
PS: I'm Catholic Wilton, and I know quite a few Catholics who know who he is and are deeply offended by him.

Well, you and your friends are in the minority. Most Catholics I know, which include a fair number of Italian Catholics, do not find him offensive; they find him entertaining. And that's why people have him at events, including the Rally to Restore Sanity. They do not invite him because they want to offend people of faith.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:58 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
Your "several" examples are also misrepresentations of what Stewart has done ...

Prove it.

I did. See the plethora of posts I've made in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:58 pm 

It's sad that in 2010 we still think that racial stereotypes are good comedy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 pm 

Willton wrote:
They do not invite him because they want to offend people of faith.

Stewart offends all faiths.

It is his schtick.

Are you saying that Stewart does not make fun of religion, and those who hold religion as an important part of their lives? That describes a signficant part of his show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 pm 

Willton wrote:

Oh, I see. My posts require "proof." Your posts are proof.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
I think what we're both wondering is why you're going to such lengths to defend Stewart's blatant bias. So you're a fan of his. Other people aren't. Are you so self-centered and narcissistic that you think everyone has to see things your way?

No, but I think that if you are going to criticize him, the criticism should be fair.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:15 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
They do not invite him because they want to offend people of faith.

Stewart offends all faiths.

It is his schtick.

Are you saying that Stewart does not make fun of religion, and those who hold religion as an important part of their lives? That describes a signficant part of his show.

I was talking about Father Guido Sarducci. I can assure you that people who hire Don Novello to play Sarducci are not doing so because they want to offend Catholics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm 

Willton wrote:
No, but I think that if you are going to criticize him, the criticism should be fair.

Yes, like this pointed criticism of Boxer that you posted:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-n ... e-shutdown

Oh, gee, maybe not so tough on old Barbara. Care to discuss the "accuracy" of your claim?

Or how about the clip where Boxer makes an incredibly stupid comment about Secretary of State nominee Condeleeza Rice, but the entire focus is on Stewart offering to father a child with Rice.

Wow, tough on Boxer.

So maybe you should not post false evidence in support of your claims. Or at least try it with someone who does not check your sources.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm 

Willton wrote:
I was talking about Father Guido Sarducci. I can assure you that people who hire Don Novello to play Sarducci are not doing so because they want to offend Catholics.

Right, they do so because making fun of Catholics is still permitted.

Offer this type of lampooning of another religion? Uhh, no thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
It's sad that in 2010 we still think that racial stereotypes are good comedy.

Oh please, don't be so humorless. Poking fun at stereotypes is perfectly fair game, and if we can't laugh about them, what are we supposed to do with them? It's not like we can wish them away like they never existed. That's being ignorant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:22 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Right, they do so because making fun of Catholics is still permitted.

Offer this type of lampooning of another religion? Uhh, no thanks.

I take it you've never watched a Mel Brooks movie or seen Sacha Baron Cohen do his act. Believe me, all classifications of Americans get their fair share of lampooning. If you haven't seen it, it's because you haven't been paying attention.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:26 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Yes, like this pointed criticism of Boxer that you posted:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-n ... e-shutdown

Oh, gee, maybe not so tough on old Barbara. Care to discuss the "accuracy" of your claim?

Or how about the clip where Boxer makes an incredibly stupid comment about Secretary of State nominee Condeleeza Rice, but the entire focus is on Stewart offering to father a child with Rice.

Wow, tough on Boxer.

So maybe you should not post false evidence in support of your claims. Or at least try it with someone who does not check your sources.

You said that he's never made fun of Boxer. I posted 4 clips where there was at least some bit of mockery directed towards her. I never commented on the degree of such mockery.

But why does that matter to you? Why are you so fixated on Stewart's failure to mock Boxer to the degree of your liking?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

But you get to define fair, is that it?

You want fair Wilton, here it is. Jon Stewart is a far left leaning political commentator who hides behind the facade of being a comedian. His rally was nothing more than a see and be seen event for the hipsters and their cause of the moment. I'm all for civility in politics, but civility comes from more than a rally where people don't even know that calling the President a Keynesian refers to his economic philosophy and not his place of birth. And civility damn sure does not come from a man who's made his reputation by getting cheap laughs on a second rate cable show.

So there you go. Fair criticism.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Oh, I see. My posts require "proof." Your posts are proof.

I've shown your error by quoting the exact language that Stewart uses, and then I've shown how your characterization is incorrect. If you cannot see how you are misrepresenting Stewart, then I can't help you any further.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:36 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

But you get to define fair, is that it?

You want fair Wilton, here it is. Jon Stewart is a far left leaning political commentator who hides behind the facade of being a comedian. His rally was nothing more than a see and be seen event for the hipsters and their cause of the moment. I'm all for civility in politics, but civility comes from more than a rally where people don't even know that calling the President a Keynesian refers to his economic philosophy and not his place of birth. And civility damn sure does not come from a man who's made his reputation by getting cheap laughs on a second rate cable show.

So there you go. Fair criticism.

Hipsters? I'm not sure you know what a hipster is. And if you think there is a "hipster movement", then I apologize for calling you humorless, because that's really funny.

By the way, Stewart's show is not second rate. See below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/no ... rt-ratings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:42 pm 

You want to actually address my point or do you want to keep on arguing semantics?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next