Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon Stewart's Moment of Sincerity
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:49 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
all while refusing to debate her opponent

Sounds like our governor here in Az. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bucfan wrote:
Nothing from Stewart.

I know Colbert has. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 pm 

Another bon mot from the resident genius, Boxer:

“We know that if you have veterans in one place where they can befriend each other and talk to each other. You know when you’ve gone through similar things you need to share it. I don’t care whether you are a policeman or a fireman or a veteran or by chance a member of Congress,” the California senator said. “[Democratic Rep.] Maxine [Waters] and I could look at each other and roll our eyes. We know what we are up against. And it is hard for people who are not there to understand the pressure and the great things that go along with it and the tough things that go along with it.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2559302/posts

So Bah-bah equates being a member of Congress to serving in the military, and ... *sob* ... points out just how difficult it is to be in Congress.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:51 pm 

And another comment from the genius from NoCal:

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Barbara Boxer

http://media.myfoxphilly.com/slideshows ... 0Boxer.htm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
What "hardworking, decent citizens" are the subject of his mockery? Please show me.

Voters this past Tuesday, for one.

That's B.S. I watched his shows this week, and not once did I see him openly mock the electorate for voting for the candidates that won. I think your bias is showing.

Bucfan wrote:
His arrogant, know-it-all attitude is present every time he discusses any political leader with whom he disagrees. And make no mistake, my antipathy is directed towards Stewart for his bitter, condescending attitude whenever it is clear that the majority disagrees with him.

Example please.

Bucfan wrote:
And of course he picks his targets. Barbara Boxer has made a career of being a moron, and making stupendously costly decisions in her position as a Senator.

So, tell me, when is the last time that Stewart spent any of his time mocking Boxer? None? Gee, why is that?

Because she is irrelevant, like a large number of those whom he derides (Bush post-2009, Gingrich, etc.)? Uhhh, no. She actually holds an important elected office.

Because she is so well-grounded and intelligent? Uhhh, definitely not. She married well, and used her husband's fortune in litigation, mainly asbestos litigation, to run for Congress in a small, very well-to-do and liberal district outside the Bay Area, and then rode Clinton's 1992 tsunami to the Senate (all while refusing to debate her opponent, Bruce Herschenson, a second time after being humiliated in the first debate ... that she refused to allow to be televised except on a tiny station that had to re-play the debate rather than show it live).

Her greatest accomplishment in the Senate has been to ban drilling for domestic oil in Anwar, which has the greatest oil reserve available for US production, and to impose restrictions on CO2 emissions as part of a battle against "global warming," err, I mean "global climate change." These restrictions have played a key role in manufacturing jobs in California, including a Goodyear tire plant in Long Beach, moving to Mexico.

Boxer also brilliantly filed an objection to the 2004 Ohio electoral count, claiming that the voting was fraudulent (where Bush won the state by 60,000 votes), and like an imbecile forced a vote on the objection. The vote in the Senate? 74-1 against .. hers was the only vote to refuse to honor the Ohio vote. In other words, Boxer wanted to vote to ignore the Ohio electoral count, and have Kerry placed as President.

So, Boxer is actually in power, actually does harm, shows a fundamental lack of intellect when interviewed, avoids engaging in televised debates with her political opponents because she routinely muffs questions and botches answers, has embarrased herself in the Senate, and yet ...

Nothing from Stewart.

Ahem:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-a ... ore-charts
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-j ... ice-cooker
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-j ... ce-hearing
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-n ... e-shutdown

By the way, thinking that Boxer deserves more mockery than Stewart has given her is a matter of taste. And keep in mind that mockery must be funny and entertaining; otherwise it just looks mean-spirited.

EDIT: with all the posts Bucfan made, I lost the links to the videos. They should be fixed now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
And another comment from the genius from NoCal:

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Barbara Boxer

http://media.myfoxphilly.com/slideshows ... 0Boxer.htm

Stupid quotes like this are not enough for an entire segment on the Daily Show. How are you supposed to fill the time with this?

STEWART: Here's a dopey quote from Sen. Barbara Boxer.

<Play Quote>

<Wait for laughter>

STEWART: Yep, that was pretty stupid.

Obviously I'm being a bit simplistic, but doing that may take, what, 30 seconds? A minute max? Plus, there's no surrounding context that Stewart and his writers can use to fill a segment. And since the quote was not caught on camera, you can't use it for the "Moment of Zen" at the end. So what would you propose Stewart do with that Boxer quote in order to make his show entertaining?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:09 pm 

Well let's see. You book a comedian who mocks Catholics by posing as a priest and then say we're not mocking people of faith.

Once again, how do you not get this?

This is pretty much SOP for Stewart. He mocks people using his bad brand of comedy and then when he gets called on it, he comes back by saying people should have a sense of humor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm 

And here is a very interesting discussion of a Barbara Boxer press conference in 2006, relative to her statement that she was going to vote against appointment of extraordinarly-qualified Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court. It is worth clicking the link and reading this interplay.

I read stories of the news conference in 2006, and then found Ziegler's blog, setting forth this information in detail. I had known that Boxer was an unscrupulous and vicious imbecile, so I was not surprised by this turn of events.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1565173/posts

Some of the highlights of the press conference:

As I pressed her on naming the five justices who could even theoretically vote to overturn Roe, Boxer absurdly and childishly tried to intimidate me into shutting up by threatening to “call my boss” for having asking such a “rude” question. ... To Boxer’s credit (though it was actually pretty dumb for her to even try), she did finally attempt to name the justices who were “hostile” to Roe. She came up with Scalia and Thomas. When I reminded her that she needed five in order for her abortion hysteria to be remotely justified she finally gave up and called on another member of the press from left-wing Pacifica radio who was all too willing to help bail her out with a softball question about filibustering Alito.

When there was another lull in the proceedings I jumped in again asking the senator about an astonishing comment she made in her prepared remarks. In an effort to distort an opinion that Judge Alito had written in defense of the verdict in a case where a black man was convicted by an all-white jury, Boxer claimed that the man had been tried “by a jury not of his peers” (which would be in direct violation of the Constitution). To me this begged the question; does Barbara Boxer believe that whites and blacks are not “peers”? Or, perhaps even worse, does she really think that the law says that you must have someone of your skin color on your jury for it to be legitimate?

When I asked Boxer about her statement she denied having made it. Then she tried to claim that the concept of mandating that blacks have other blacks on their juries was “well settled law.” When I asked her to cite the law defining “peers” as a person of the same skin pigmentation she had absolutely no answer (largely because, thankfully, there is none).

After she made her third and final failed attempt at intimidating me (the one where she presumably kidded about testing pesticides on me) I offered to “forgive” her threats if she allowed me one more question. She denied me and a called on a person who was clearly not affiliated with any kind of media outlet (in contradiction to her own stated rules for the event).

You simply cannot make up this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:16 pm 

Look, there are simply different rules in California. The people who keep electing her see her as one of their own. Someone who's obvious (to them) intellect simply cannot be comprehended by us common folks. Boxer survives because she plays to far left element in California. The same elements that wanted to kick Marine recruiters out of Berkley and have banned toys from Happy Meals in San Fransisco.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:19 pm 

Willton wrote:
That's B.S. I watched his shows this week, and not once did I see him openly mock the electorate for voting for the candidates that won. I think your bias is showing.

Openly mock?

Perhaps your bias is showing? Naaaaah. Couldn't be.

Stewart has stated that the electorate is lacking intellect if they cannot see that the Obama agenda is going to help them.

The fact that Stewart was as soft as a pillow with Obama was not surprising, of course. The President was not going to get waxed on a television show days before the election. I get that.

But you pretending that Stewart is respectful towards those with whom he has political disagreement - most recently, the vast majority of voters - is a fiction.

Or do you seriously - SERIOUSLY - suggest that Stewart is a pure comedian, a guy like Lenno, who has no agenda and who does not try and style himself as smarter and funnier than all those dolts who don't bother to learn what the President is doing to help them?

I am Bucfan. Not only do I approve of this message, but I wrote it, without the help of 12 writers!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 pm 

Willton wrote:
Stupid quotes like this are not enough for an entire segment on the Daily Show. How are you supposed to fill the time with this?

STEWART: Here's a dopey quote from Sen. Barbara Boxer.

<Play Quote>

<Wait for laughter>

STEWART: Yep, that was pretty stupid.

I thought you said you watched the show.

That is a large part of what he does. He takes the remark - almost always by a political opposite - plays it, looks astounded, waits for laughter to die down, then mocks the person making the stupid statement, then discusses other statements that would be as moronic, then takes the stupid statement to an illogical extreme, looks wearied at all the hard work of trying to show how stupid such politician is.

That takes 3-4 minutes, and is EXACTLY what his show consists of.

Or perhaps your bias is showing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Well let's see. You book a comedian who mocks Catholics by posing as a priest and then say we're not mocking people of faith.

This is pretty much SOP for Stewart. He mocks people using his bad brand of comedy and then when he gets called on it, he comes back by saying people should have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry, are you saying that the character Father Guido Sarducci, a character from SNL back in the 1970's, is mocking people of faith? Do you even know who Father Guido Sarducci is? When has he ever been decried as mocking Catholics?

Have you no sense of humor at all? You must be really fun at parties.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:31 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Look, there are simply different rules in California.

Different results, yes.

But the rules are always the same. That is why the state is going to be bankrupt in 4 years.

And as a business owner and taxpayer for 24 years in this state, believe me when I say I am not kidding.

The state is currently running a budget deficit in the area of $20 billion annually, before the retirement wave has really started. The retirement wave commenced in 2004, which is 40 years after the first big state government hiring wave occurred. It is going to explode in the next 5 years.

State retirees are owed in California ... get this - I am not making it up ... a total of $500 billion (with a "B") in unfunded benefits.

The state has the 2nd highest income tax in the nation, the highest sales tax, one of the highest corporate and business taxes, and combined, the highest taxes of any state in the nation.

It cannot pay its bills. Literally, does not have the money to pay its current obligations.

When the retirement wave hits, then the deficit will be unsustainable. The state will have to declare bankruptcy, and undo the retirement obligations.

And if it thinks it can simply boost my tax rates yet again, uhhhh, no. I will be living next door to Az in a state with no income tax, and no such crushing obligations.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:34 pm 

Willton wrote:

(1) This is a discussion where you said, "prove it."
(2) Jeremy offered a concrete example, and I offered several.
(3) You can offer contrary proof or evidence.
(4) However, delving into personal taunts is what you offered.

Good look at your comments to me and Jeremy.

Bias showing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:37 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I'm sorry, are you saying that the character Father Guido Sarducci, a character from SNL back in the 1970's, is mocking people of faith? Do you even know who Father Guido Sarducci is? When has he ever been decried as mocking Catholics?

No matter what you might have been told, making fun of people you see as not being as smart as you isn't having a sense of humor. It's called being an asshole.

PS: I'm Catholic Wilton, and I know quite a few Catholics who know who he is and are deeply offended by him.

Last edited by Jeremy on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:39 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Openly mock?

Perhaps your bias is showing? Naaaaah. Couldn't be.

Stewart has stated that the electorate is lacking intellect if they cannot see that the Obama agenda is going to help them.

When? Where? Show me.

Bucfan wrote:
The fact that Stewart was as soft as a pillow with Obama was not surprising, of course. The President was not going to get waxed on a television show days before the election. I get that.

But you pretending that Stewart is respectful towards those with whom he has political disagreement - most recently, the vast majority of voters - is a fiction.

When Stewart has had guests on his show with whom he has a political disagreement (and he's had many), I've always seen him act respectful while expressing his disagreement in a reasonable way. If he has ever gotten loud or rude with a guest, it is usually because the guest drove him there (like Tucker Carlson).

Bucfan wrote:
Or do you seriously - SERIOUSLY - suggest that Stewart is a pure comedian, a guy like Lenno, who has no agenda and who does not try and style himself as smarter and funnier than all those dolts who don't bother to learn what the President is doing to help them?

I am sure that Stewart thinks he is funner than said people. After all, he does comedy for a living, and he does it quite well. And I'm sure that Stewart thinks he is smarter than most people. But then, so do you.

Bucfan wrote:
I am Bucfan. Not only do I approve of this message, but I wrote it, without the help of 12 writers!! :D

You also do not have a show that people watch, and you don't do comedy for a living. Do you think it would be fair for me to start criticizing you for practicing law while having your briefs and other documents drafted by paralegals and associate attorneys?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:43 pm 

Stewart does comedy quite well? Yeah, I guess that's why he's hosting a show on a second rate cable channel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

You also do not have a show that people watch, and you don't do comedy for a living. Do you think it would be fair for me to start criticizing you for practicing law while having your briefs and other documents drafted by paralegals and associate attorneys?

Take the stick out of your ass.

Is Stewart your mom?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:46 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

(1) This is a discussion where you said, "prove it."
(2) Jeremy offered a concrete example, and I offered several.
(3) You can offer contrary proof or evidence.
(4) However, delving into personal taunts is what you offered.

Good look at your comments to me and Jeremy.

Bias showing?

His example is ridiculous. The character of Father Guido Sarducci has been around for over 30 years. If Catholics felt offended by him as "mocking people of faith", they would have spoken up by now.

Your "several" examples are also misrepresentations of what Stewart has done, as I have explained in prior posts. Just because you are inferring that Stewart is mocking the electorate does not mean that such inferences are reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 pm 

Willton wrote:
Your "several" examples are also misrepresentations of what Stewart has done ...

Prove it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:48 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Stewart does comedy quite well? Yeah, I guess that's why he's hosting a show on a second rate cable channel.

It's better than not hosting a show, and I'm sure that you would be very happy to receive his salary. Furthermore, Stewart has been offered gigs on major networks, but he's stayed with Viacom and Comedy Central because they give him the freedom to do the show he wants to do.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next