Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Music video from 1990?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:47 am 

I loved this video of Electronic's "Get the Message" when it first came out. I just saw it for the first time in 17-18 years and I feel like sharing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tZM9H1gbg

Shot in the Philippines we see Bernard Sumner (New Order) and Johnny Marr (ex-Smiths) in various locales. Both were sick during the filming of this ('90 or '91.) They were treated like heros during their stay. They spent a night in a deserted hotel built by former dictator Marcos.

They came away with interesting stories (as does anyone who returns from there.) They were served a whole goat during a feast (Johnny is a long time vegetarian!) One of the guys almost fell in an active volcano (you can see them for a split second at the top of it.)

There's even a scene from Smokey Mountain, the large (now shut down) landfill in Manila. It was famous for rotting at a high enough temperature that parts of it caught on fire. Many people died, but people still spent their days there searching for anything to sell.

Post subject: Re: Music video from 1990?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:07 pm 

Ollie wrote:
I loved this video of Electronic's "Get the Message" when it first came out. I just saw it for the first time in 17-18 years and I feel like sharing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tZM9H1gbg

Shot in the Philippines we see Bernard Sumner (New Order) and Johnny Marr (ex-Smiths) in various locales. Both were sick during the filming of this ('90 or '91.) They were treated like heros during their stay. They spent a night in a deserted hotel built by former dictator Marcos.

They came away with interesting stories (as does anyone who returns from there.) They were served a whole goat during a feast (Johnny is a long time vegetarian!) One of the guys almost fell in an active volcano (you can see them for a split second at the top of it.)

There's even a scene from Smokey Mountain, the large (now shut down) landfill in Manila. It was famous for rotting at a high enough temperature that parts of it caught on fire. Many people died, but people still spent their days there searching for anything to sell.

Hey Ollie, I was methodically listening to every CD in my collection this week and I pulled out a disc that made me think of you. This video was all over MTV-Asia during my last stay in Manila and I liked it, so I went out and bought the CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1Adk1mGLI

I looked them up on the internet when I got home and was sorry to find out that the Eraserheads are no more, but I found a lot of their stuff at Youtube. That was a pretty good band.