Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite Ten Live Shows of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ahh, nice integration with comedic movies...

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

1.) Rocket From the Crypt. 1998 - Free show at Buff State. Me and 11 people. Couldn't hear for days.

2.) R.E.M. - Green Tour 1989 - Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo. Amazing Show. Throwing Muses opened, featuring Tanya Donnely of Belly, who also worked with Kim Deal in some of her projects.

3.) The Tragically Hip - Trouble at The Hen House Tour -Rochester, NY - 1,000 seat show. it was great.

4.) Live - Throwing Copper Tour - Connecticut Street Armory - Buffalo NY. About 400 in attendance. Amazing show as well. I hate them now though :)

5.) Our Lady Peace - Hapiness is Not a Fish You Can Catch tour. Water Street Theater, Rochester, NY - Small room, great acoustics.

6.) Public Enemy - Univ Vermont - Apocalypse 91 Tour - Sure, an odd choice for me, but it was an amazing show, and I saw Chuck D speak the night before. Wearing a Buccos cap.

7.) R.E.M. - Monster Tour - Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo NY - Radiohead opened, supporting the OK Computer album. Problem is, I had no idea who they were.

8.) Tragically Hip - Trouble at the Hen House - Memorial Auditorium - Great show, but 16k+ people, so not as intimate as above.

9.) Silversun Pickups - Carnavas Tour - Water Street, Rochester, NY- Water St has two rooms, this one was too small to hold the SSPU sound. It bounced all over. BUT... They are incredible to watch.

10.) Tragically Hip - In Violet Light Tour - Darien lake, NY. Outdoor show, so just a ton of fun with the tailgating, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 am 

Rochester wrote:
Tragically Hip

I was managing a band, Housequake, a late 80's early 90's funkrock bunch. We opened one night for the Meat Puppets and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Mesa Amphitheater, 4000 seater. Then dashed over to a club The Asylum a 300 seat club in Tempe and opened for Tragically Hip. We played in front of a full house. Upon our set ending, about 2/3 of the folks left leaving the Hip with not much crowd. To cap off their night, their MCA rep loved Housequake and hung with us the whole night leaving the Hip feeling fairly un Hip. The singer was quite surly the whole night. Sorry Senor Hip. They were ok live. I guess the whole Canadian thing didn't go over so well in the desert. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Rochester wrote:
Tragically Hip

I was managing a band, Housequake, a late 80's early 90's funkrock bunch. We opened one night for the Meat Puppets and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Mesa Amphitheater, 4000 seater. Then dashed over to a club The Asylum a 300 seat club in Tempe and opened for Tragically Hip. We played in front of a full house. Upon our set ending, about 2/3 of the folks left leaving the Hip with not much crowd. To cap off their night, their MCA rep loved Housequake and hung with us the whole night leaving the Hip feeling fairly un Hip. The singer was quite surly the whole night. Sorry Senor Hip. They were ok live. I guess the whole Canadian thing didn't go over so well in the desert. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

That's true everywhere but the border towns. They could fill a 150k seat arena in Canada, then drive to Pittsburgh and play a bar. They never translated here.

Gord Downey, the singer, is an interesting cat :)

Thanks for sharing that story. Hell, even R.E.M. got booed off stage at Shea Stadium in 1983 opening for the Police. Some nights you feel like a rock star, and some nights, well, it just don't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 am 

Metallica - August 29,1989 - Seattle Coliseum.every other show wilts in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 am 

Argentum wrote:
I save my stubs from my favorite shows:

I believe that I was at that U2 show. Bare stage, white lights?