Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Ten Live Shows of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:37 pm 

In no particular order, because that would be too soul wrenching....

Bob Dylan at Conneaut Lake Park, circa 1993. I've met many people who tell me that this was the best show they've ever seen, and I agree.

Neil Young backed by Booker T. and the MGs, 1993, at the crappy amphitheater that I refuse to call anything except Starlake.

Neil Young at Starlake again, backed by by Crazy Horse, somewhere between 1995 and 2003, don't remember the year.

The Iron City Houserockers at Pitt's Lawrence Hall, 1979 or 80. I was too young to get into the Decade, so this was about my only chance to see the greatest local band of all time when they were still just starting out.

Fleetwood Mac at the Civic Arena, 1980. I will always be in love with Stevie Nicks, no matter how fat she gets. After all, she hasn't complained once about how fat I have gotten.

The Who at Starlake, 2000. Went with a buddy on a whim. When we pulled up to the attendant to pay for our parking, he asked us if we had tickets, which we didn't. Turns out that a guy a few cars ahead of us gave the attendant 20 spares that he had and asked to guy to give them out to those who hadn't bought their yet, first come, first served. Their last time in Pittsburgh before John Entwistle died.

Pearl Jam, PNC Park, 2005. Not a long set, but fantastic. Walked over the bridge with no ticket, figuring I could always stand outside and hear it if I couldn't get a reasonable price from a scalper. Paid $30 for a ticket priced much higher to a kid who was desperate to sell his spare and get inside before the show started. Oh yeah, the other band that played that night was pretty good too. The Rolling Stones :D .

Some oldies show at Three Rivers Stadium, mid 1990s. Tommy James absolutely had the place rocking, and Chuck Berry was on fire as the closing act. A hugely surprising great show.

Richard Thompson at the Rosebud, can't remember the year, but the late 1990s, I think. One of my all time favorites in a very intimate setting.

T-Bone Burnett, The Vic Theater in Chicago, 2006. I'd long since given up on ever getting a chance to see Burnett, but he suddenly pops up with his first new CD in 14 years AND a two CD greatest hits collection, and decides to open his first live tour in almost 20 years at a theater four blocks from my new apartment in Chicago. I admit that the band played like they'd only had about two nights to practice together (which is almost true), but guitarist Marc Ribot was smoking, and I had a great time. Jakob Dylan opened, also a good show.

Funny, but looking back, five of the ten were spur of the last minute decisions to see the show.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Ten Live Shows of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:22 am 

No particular order.

Nick Lowe- Minder Binders, Tempe, Az.-1992?-Perhaps the best wordsmith in rock. Hung out after the show and chatted while signing anything in sight.

Lou Reed-Stanley Theater-Pittsburgh, Pa.-1974- Sally Can;t Dance Tour-Rock 'n Roll Animal band-weirdest opening band combo ever, Hall and Oates- in car wreck on way home as friend slid sideways into a telephone pole in 1963 Chrysler Imperial-concussion #2

Eric Clapton- America West Arena-1994?-From The Cradle Tour-EC playing blues only and clearly loving it. Bootlegged.

AC DC-America West Arena-2006-Head banging extaordinare-First and only show where the whole famn damily attended. Best just because of that.

Toots and the Maytals-some cowboy bar-Tucson, Az.-2004-great show from the man who coined the term "reggay"-My 50th birthday-Got to meet hime and get signed poster post show.

The Band, The Grateful Dead, The Allman Bros. Band- Summer Jam-Watkins Glen International Raceway-1973-What an experience-Heat, rain and 600,000 of us all having fun. Stage looked like a match book from where we were. LOL

Frank Zappa-Celebrity Theater-Phoenix, Az.-1984-Two days before wedding vows with Mrs. AZBF- Took the entire wedding party. Go ahead let the Zappa slamming begin. You missed a great show. Have the bootleg.

Eric Clapton/Muddy Waters-Tucson Convention Center-1979-The night after EC married Patty Boyd Harrison. And to see Muddy to was worth it alone. Saw same bill later in the summer at War Memorial in Buffalo.

XTC/The Police-Veterans Memeorial Coliseum-Phoenix-1981-AZ. State Fair-Great show from, at the time, 2 largely unknown bands.

Stevie Ray Vaughn-Veterans Memorial Coliseum-Phoenix1980/81/82-Az. State Fair-Stevvie Ray played the fair 3 years in a row and by god never disappointed

Bonus Show-Was Not Was-Chuy's-Tempe, Az.- unbelievable small club show from a band that just smoked with humor to boot.

Bonus Show 2-Willy Dixon-Chuy;s-Tempe, Az.- seeing a legend in a small club just cannot be topped.

Bonus Show 3-Albert King-2 shows-Mason Jar-Phoenix, Az.-2 great shows from the crankiest bluesman ever. Double bonus, I was managing Chuck Hall and the Brick Wall at the time and we were the openers for both shows. Some good stories from that night.

Sorry, went over 10. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 am 

Wow.. gonna be hard to top those lists..

1. Ravi Shankar at Ohio State, mid eighties.. a Hare Krishna gave me a copy of the Bhagavad Gita before the show.

2. Jimmy Cliff in the Cleveland Flats.. amazing show!! His Hanging Fire tour..

3. England Dan, 1999 Bacolod Coliseum, Bacolod City, Philippines.. first date with my wife!

4. Ali Akbar Khan, Severance Center, the hall where the Cleveland Orchestra plays.. North Indian sarod master. 90s..

5. The Ramones at the Agora.. mid '80s.. so much energy.. they never took a break between songs.

6. Bad Brains at a small club in Cleveland, mid '80s.. after every four or five punk songs they slowed to roots reggae!

7. King Sunny Ade.. opened for Black Uhuru.. thirty Nigerian musicians on the rotating stage of the Front Row Theatre.

8. Run Devil Run.. 2000.. small club.. a Hare Krishna hardcore band.. think Shelter.

9. Eugene Chadbourne ten yrs ago at Case Western Reserve.. tiny outdoor place.. Earl Scruggs meets Jimi Hendrix.

10.Morrissey in the Flats.. I got serious spiritual vibes when he appeared on stage.

Honorable mention to Gong (Daevid Allen) U-Roy, Cher, Jewel, Tiny Tim, Britney Spears, Don MacLean, UB40, Thompson Twins, Kris Kristofferson..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:19 pm 

In no particular order:

Megadeth with the Dio version of Black Sabbath at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion May 2007, Megadeth played for only about 50 minutes, but it was a headbangin 50 min though! My first time seeing Megadeth live, see below for another entry.

Roger Waters at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion May 2008, this was his Dark Side of the Moon tour.

Iron Maiden at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion Summer 2008, they played mainly 80's stuff

Judas Priest at the Verizon Wireless Theater, don't remember the month but it was 2009, they played British Steel in its entirety. When the show ended, I was looking up at the house lights to see if they would turn on, KK Downing then threw his pick at the crowd and it hit me square in the chest. I was like, "what the hell" but when I looked down and realized what it was, another guy had already picked it up. I shrugged and left with my friend.

(my first ever concert) Yes at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, summer 2002, both Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman were there

The Doors 21st Century at the Verizon Wireless Theater, summer 2003. Ray Manzerak was there, as was Robby Kreiger, but John Densmore wasn't there due to an ear condition he had. The lead singer for the Cult, Ian Asbury did the vocal duty. At the end of the show, a whole bunch of girls got on stage and starting stripping. Then a bunch of cops came and stormed the stage to get the band and the girls off. I told myself, "Hey can't be a Doors concert without the cops showing up!"

Primus at the Verizon Wireless Theater in 2003, I don't remember the month, but it was during the school year. I went because a good friend asked me to go, I didn't know their sound at all. I was blown away by their musicianship and the quality of their songs. To this day, I still a Primus fan.

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake at the House of Blues, May 2009. I had a few months prior, had gotten into ELP's sound and I jumped at the chance to see them live. Had a chance to meet them after the show, but I had to teach an early morning class the next day, so I bailed once the show ended.

Lamb of God at the Verizon Wireless Theater, 2008, don't remember the month. This was headbanging and anger and rage at its finest. My neck still hurts at the thought of seeing them live again.

Opeth at the Warehouse, 2008, don't remember the month. My neck was sore from headbanging for three days afterward. They played all my favorite songs, so I was very pleased driving home.

Megadeth at the Verizon Wireless Theater, April 2009. They performed Rust in Peace in its entirety. My friend and I got trashed before hand and it made the concert that much more memorable.

I know I picked 11, but oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:33 pm 

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/StephenRedrobe#p/c/1B91ECFD776C9153/3/RdNYH0YeQyg[/Youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:35 pm 

Ooh, ooh my turn ...

In no order -

REM - Montreal, Reveal tour 2005?, Molson Centre, had great seats through the fanclub, 10th or 15th row floor. Ended up being a fairly intimate show with many of their newer introspective songs of the post 9/11 time.

Radiohead - Lakeland?, OH (small suburb of Cleveland) 1997, this was the first tour supporting OK computer before it hit in the US. The show was at a high school auditorium with open seating. It was also during a tremendous thunderstorm that made it tough to get there and you could here it raging outside all show.

REM - Gund Arena 1995 Monster tour, they never sounded so good, it always amazed me how well their songs sounded ramped up with extra guitars for that tour.

Roger Waters - 2010 Consol, WOW, just awesome production, awesome sound quality. Waters sounded great vocally and the fill ins for Gilmour were spot on, breathtaking show.

Radiohead - 1996ish, Cleveland flats, this was a later US tour supporting The Bends at a small club venue. They just destroyed the place with a full on assault of sound. Thom also stopped the show in the middle a slower song to tell the crowd to stop moshing, loved it.

Pearl Jam - Raleigh, NC Alltell Pavillion 2003, I've seen them several times and its always very good, no production, just great sounding music. This was my favorite show of theirs, Eddie was at his political height. PJ also started selling bootlegs of every show, so I have it on CD, sweet.

REM - Raleigh NC Alltell Pavillion, 2003ish, their greatest hits tour, they played everything in the catalog on that tour allowing for fan requests. This show was the first time that drummer Bill Berry joined them on stage since he retired. The place just went nuts.

The Cure - Gund Arena 1996, their last big album, "Wild Mood Swings", this show featured no warm-up act, just The Cure for over 2 1/2 hours, 3 encore 4 song sets, just an excellent setlist everything from the early 80's on.

U2 - Three Rivers Stadium 1996ish, Popmart tour, great production quality, tons of fun from the hits to Sweet Caroline as a sing along karaoke. We also got moved to better seats free because they didn't fill the upper deck.

Grateful Dead/Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Three Rivers Stadium 1990, just a massive show with CSNY playing nearly a full set as the warmup and Jerry was still doing pretty well vocally. Never saw so many barefoot people at Three Rivers.

and for fun, worst show ever -
C&C Music Factory - 1992ish, at the local college, only went because it was in town and we never got any shows there. Terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
and for fun, worst show ever -
C&C Music Factory - 1992ish, at the local college, only went because it was in town and we never got any shows there. Terrible.

LIAR!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 am 

LOL!

OK you got me, only went because of the girls.

No really, grew up in podunk Western PA, Clarion Univ was the only local anything and no one ever played there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 am 

I save my stubs from my favorite shows:

Attachments:
n674972242_600317_908.jpg
n674972242_600317_908.jpg [ 120.24 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]
n674972242_600316_620.jpg
n674972242_600316_620.jpg [ 69.66 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 am 

Stubless:

Van Halen Fair Warning Tour - A top ten for sure
The Pixies/Love and Rockets - 1988ish
Buzzcocks - Traveled to Philly 1989ish
Billy Bragg/Michelle Shocked - late 80's Carnegie Center Oakland

Honorable Mentions:

The Beat Farmers - 1986 Morgantown WV
BB King - Mid 90s Heinz Hall

As you can see my golden years were between college and my wedding day.

I can't remember if I told this story before, but in between sets at The Pixies/Love and Rockets concert, Kim Deal of The Pixies was hanging out in the lobby at the Mosque signing autographs and just shooting the breeze. I was drunk and blurted out to her that her baselines "made the whole band" or some such nonsense. Plus I was being kind of fanboyish (I'm sure she probably just thought I was a douche). Well she just smiled and signed the back of a card I had in my wallet, handed it back to me and left.

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.........

Attachments:
n674972242_582818_8539.jpg
n674972242_582818_8539.jpg [ 22.53 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ahh, nice integration with comedic movies...

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

1.) Rocket From the Crypt. 1998 - Free show at Buff State. Me and 11 people. Couldn't hear for days.

2.) R.E.M. - Green Tour 1989 - Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo. Amazing Show. Throwing Muses opened, featuring Tanya Donnely of Belly, who also worked with Kim Deal in some of her projects.

3.) The Tragically Hip - Trouble at The Hen House Tour -Rochester, NY - 1,000 seat show. it was great.

4.) Live - Throwing Copper Tour - Connecticut Street Armory - Buffalo NY. About 400 in attendance. Amazing show as well. I hate them now though :)

5.) Our Lady Peace - Hapiness is Not a Fish You Can Catch tour. Water Street Theater, Rochester, NY - Small room, great acoustics.

6.) Public Enemy - Univ Vermont - Apocalypse 91 Tour - Sure, an odd choice for me, but it was an amazing show, and I saw Chuck D speak the night before. Wearing a Buccos cap.

7.) R.E.M. - Monster Tour - Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo NY - Radiohead opened, supporting the OK Computer album. Problem is, I had no idea who they were.

8.) Tragically Hip - Trouble at the Hen House - Memorial Auditorium - Great show, but 16k+ people, so not as intimate as above.

9.) Silversun Pickups - Carnavas Tour - Water Street, Rochester, NY- Water St has two rooms, this one was too small to hold the SSPU sound. It bounced all over. BUT... They are incredible to watch.

10.) Tragically Hip - In Violet Light Tour - Darien lake, NY. Outdoor show, so just a ton of fun with the tailgating, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 am 

Rochester wrote:
Tragically Hip

I was managing a band, Housequake, a late 80's early 90's funkrock bunch. We opened one night for the Meat Puppets and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Mesa Amphitheater, 4000 seater. Then dashed over to a club The Asylum a 300 seat club in Tempe and opened for Tragically Hip. We played in front of a full house. Upon our set ending, about 2/3 of the folks left leaving the Hip with not much crowd. To cap off their night, their MCA rep loved Housequake and hung with us the whole night leaving the Hip feeling fairly un Hip. The singer was quite surly the whole night. Sorry Senor Hip. They were ok live. I guess the whole Canadian thing didn't go over so well in the desert. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Rochester wrote:
Tragically Hip

I was managing a band, Housequake, a late 80's early 90's funkrock bunch. We opened one night for the Meat Puppets and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Mesa Amphitheater, 4000 seater. Then dashed over to a club The Asylum a 300 seat club in Tempe and opened for Tragically Hip. We played in front of a full house. Upon our set ending, about 2/3 of the folks left leaving the Hip with not much crowd. To cap off their night, their MCA rep loved Housequake and hung with us the whole night leaving the Hip feeling fairly un Hip. The singer was quite surly the whole night. Sorry Senor Hip. They were ok live. I guess the whole Canadian thing didn't go over so well in the desert. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

That's true everywhere but the border towns. They could fill a 150k seat arena in Canada, then drive to Pittsburgh and play a bar. They never translated here.

Gord Downey, the singer, is an interesting cat :)

Thanks for sharing that story. Hell, even R.E.M. got booed off stage at Shea Stadium in 1983 opening for the Police. Some nights you feel like a rock star, and some nights, well, it just don't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 am 

Metallica - August 29,1989 - Seattle Coliseum.every other show wilts in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 am 

Argentum wrote:
I save my stubs from my favorite shows:

I believe that I was at that U2 show. Bare stage, white lights?