Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Very proud and difficult time for Bucfan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:41 am 

Bucfan and the lovely Mrs. Bucfan put their son on a plane to fly to Massachusetts to begin college. Bucfan's daugther left for college in 2004, and that was a tough thing for Bucfan. Daughter was incredibly good company, and her departure was tough to handle.

But at that point, at least Bucfan had his son to hang out with, watch ballgames, play golf, etc. Now, son is on to college.

Those who have sent their kids into the world can commiserate, but I doubt that many others can feel the combination of pride and pain resulting from seeing your kids move on with their lives.

Played golf today ... not nearly as much fun without son. Went to the market. Was getting ready to buy gallon of milk, and remembered that son drinks more milk than anybody else in the family. Bought 1/2 gallon. Not used to that.

Went down the cereal aisle and was ready to buy Raisin Bran ... son is the one who loves Raisin Bran. It is really difficult to have both kids out and on their own, at least in terms of where they live.

Miss the heck out of son. Texting is really not the same as having him here.

Post subject: Re: Very proud and difficult time for Bucfan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 am 

Yep, I know the feeling. Both gone within the space of 10 days. Can definitely relate to the change in grocery buying.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:31 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Yep, I know the feeling. Both gone within the space of 10 days. Can definitely relate to the change in grocery buying.

You had a two-fer. Really quiet, really fast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 am 

You are incredible fathers. Family is everything and you guys are proof.

Last edited by Ollie on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:23 pm 

Ollie wrote:
You are incredible fathers. I am jealous of the relationships you have. My kid has decided she hates everything I like.
I've seen my father three times in ten years. Family is everything and you guys are proof.

Sorry to hear that, Ollie.

I was lucky enough to be invited to a BBQ at Az's house, and attended with son. Met Ms. Az, his sons and his wife. Had a very good time, enjoyed their company.

Az has seen son pitch twice. I saw Az's son pitch in JC All-Star competition. Az lives in the Tempe area, and his younger son has competed in diving meets several times in Los Angeles.

Very cool that Az's older son is a very good player and speciazed as a pitcher; my son was a very good player, and then specialized as a pitcher. Az's younger son does competitive diving; my daughter was competitive diver for many years until she graduated from college.

The two of us are lifelong Pirate fans.

What are the odds? Pretty darn good, apparently ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:37 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You and Az didn't, by chance, have a travelling salseman for a father did you?

:shock:

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Bucfan and the lovely Mrs. Bucfan put their son on a plane to fly to Massachusetts to begin college. Bucfan's daugther left for college in 2004, and that was a tough thing for Bucfan. Daughter was incredibly good company, and her departure was tough to handle.

But at that point, at least Bucfan had his son to hang out with, watch ballgames, play golf, etc. Now, son is on to college.

Those who have sent their kids into the world can commiserate, but I doubt that many others can feel the combination of pride and pain resulting from seeing your kids move on with their lives.

Played golf today ... not nearly as much fun without son. Went to the market. Was getting ready to buy gallon of milk, and remembered that son drinks more milk than anybody else in the family. Bought 1/2 gallon. Not used to that.

Went down the cereal aisle and was ready to buy Raisin Bran ... son is the one who loves Raisin Bran. It is really difficult to have both kids out and on their own, at least in terms of where they live.

Miss the heck out of son. Texting is really not the same as having him here.

While I do not have any children, and cannot commiserate, I am willing to let you buy groceries for me if it will help you feel better? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am 

BBF wrote:
While I do not have any children, and cannot commiserate, I am willing to let you buy groceries for me if it will help you feel better? ;)

That is one dramatic difference in an empty house. Of course we get to eat more of what we like rather than what they like. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Ollie wrote:
You are incredible fathers. I am jealous of the relationships you have. My kid has decided she hates everything I like.
I've seen my father three times in ten years. Family is everything and you guys are proof.

I am sure you are in your own way Ollie. Believe me, my two boys have had times where they just look at me and go WTF? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bucfan, they are all gone now. Where does that leave the two of us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 pm 

I can empathize with you guys. My own two have been gone from home for quite a few years now. The feelings you express do not go away easily. Time will eventually ease but not end the emptiness of them being gone. The thing I want is grandkids but no luck there yet. Life is indeed about family.
I'm from a huge family. We get together from all over for Thanksgiving and I get a feeling of completeness with them around. Sad to say, we just burried an uncle yesterday. Good man and a favorite of mine. They ask me to do a reading at his funeral mass, and I considered it a high honor to speak in prayer for the family.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:23 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Bucfan, they are all gone now. Where does that leave the two of us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps here:

Substituted with Pirates regalia, of course. ;)