Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need someone else's opinion.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:58 pm 

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8327672/Jennings-may-just-be-a-pioneer-for-'student-athletes'

The NCAA pays its basketball and football players with a currency (education) many of them aren't prepared to spend or value. That has to change, and it's incumbent on the NCAA to be a big part of the change.

Is Jason Whitlock suggesting that the NCAA needs to take the role of parent to student-athletes? Or I am readin that article all wrong?

Post subject: Re: I need someone else's opinion.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:11 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8327672/Jennings-may-just-be-a-pioneer-for-'student-athletes'

The NCAA pays its basketball and football players with a currency (education) many of them aren't prepared to spend or value. That has to change, and it's incumbent on the NCAA to be a big part of the change.

Is Jason Whitlock suggesting that the NCAA needs to take the role of parent to student-athletes? Or I am readin that article all wrong?

I think that the NCAA is making money hand over fist off of these guys and offering them something that costs the universities very little in return. That's not to denigrate the value of a college education, but the cost of that education for colleges is very small, while the financial returns for colleges are very large, at least at the Division I level, and the commitment is strictly one way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 pm 

NCAA is one of the most screwed up organizations ever. Big shots making big money and athletes trying to scrape by.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:30 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
NCAA is one of the most screwed up organizations ever. Big shots making big money and athletes trying to scrape by.

Have you been to Tempe? They're not "scraping by."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm 

I live in Tempe. My back yard borders ASU. There are athletes all over the country who struggle to make ends meet while in school. This while NCAA officials make huge money along with the coaches and administrators. Tell me why D I baseball is only allowed 11.7 scholarships for a 25 to 30 man roster? DII even less. Why did ASU drop men's swimming, tennis and wrestling this past spring? Money, not Title IX, or so they say. Both wrestling and swimming have been reinstated after donors and benefactors saved the day. The NCAA reminds me of Congress. Out of touch with the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:32 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I live in Tempe. My back yard borders ASU. There are athletes all over the country who struggle to make ends meet while in school. This while NCAA officials make huge money along with the coaches and administrators. Tell me why D I baseball is only allowed 11.7 scholarships for a 25 to 30 man roster? DII even less. Why did ASU drop men's swimming, tennis and wrestling this past spring? Money, not Title IX, or so they say. Both wrestling and swimming have been reinstated after donors and benefactors saved the day. The NCAA reminds me of Congress. Out of touch with the rest of the world.

Those athletes aren't playing football or basketball, which are the sports Whitlock is talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:58 pm 

IMO much of what Whitlock says is absolutely true. Colleges use kids for their own revenue. The NCAA administrators and the coaches have gone crazy over the money that kids raise. The kids get next to none of it.
Rich Rodriguez, close to my heart, used the talented kids at WVU to enhance his own pile of money. None of those kids that he recruited and then left for Michigan and the bigger bucks got anything out of that deal.

They are really used in the deal. Yes, they get a free education and for many, even most, that is the most important part. But for the super stars, who will soon be millionaires and don't need, want or even can earn the education, the system really sucks.

I wouldn't be opposed to making them non students, but the majority of players need the education for their life's work and thus need to remain students. The money generated has ruined what used to be a great set up for schools and kids.