Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm Going To See Some of My Rock Heroes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm 

I got an email for the presale for the Eagles at the Consol Energy Arena on Oct. 19 (3 Days after my birthday)...

So instead of putting any thought into it, I just spent the money and got floor seats for the show...

I'm glad I'm single and can live off Peanut Butter and Jelly for the next few weeks or until someone buys a guitar or two tomorrow...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: I'm Going To See Some of My Rock Heroes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:27 am 

Have a great time Dan. That's a great birthday present to spend the money on so no need to feel guilty about it at all.

PS: By the way, is that creamy or chunky peanut butter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:28 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I got an email for the presale for the Eagles at the Consol Energy Arena on Oct. 19 (3 Days after my birthday)...

So instead of putting any thought into it, I just spent the money and got floor seats for the show...

I'm glad I'm single and can live off Peanut Butter and Jelly for the next few weeks or until someone buys a guitar or two tomorrow...

I saw their "Hell Freezes Over" tour and had a great time. My only complaint was that I wanted more guitar leads from Joe Walsh, one of my guitar heroes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 am 

Very surprised Az has not contributed to this discussion. Like Dan and sisyphus, Az is a guitar afficianado with a very discerning palate in rock music.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:46 pm 

And Bucfan calls me out. 8-) I am not a fan of the Eagles. I am not a fan of the music business in general these days. That said of the new artists out there, I really like Jack White and just about anything he is associated with. I kind of float with the late John Entwhistle who said that rap/hip hop is music made by people who just can't sing. I also cannot validate paying 75 bucks or more to see a show that will probably be ok. Example: Mrs AZBF bought me tickets for Christmas a couple of years back to see ERic Clapton whom I have probably seen 20 times. We had seats on the floor right in front of the soundboard. Recipe for success right? Well the performance was ok but the sound was weak and very disappointing. It just didn't rock. I now prefer seeing under the radar bands in small clubs for 20-25 bucks. Unfortunately there aren't many of these shows going. At least not here. I listen too lots of reggae but the economic slump has just about elminated any national reggae tours. Ticket costs are just out of sight. For example, Blue Oyster Cult and Foghat played here at the Celebrity Theater, a real nice theater in the round here, capacity 2500. Now these guys aren't exactly in their prime but tickets wer 65, 55 and 45 bucks. :? I would love to see Elton John and Leon Russell who have a new release out together and are touring now. Lower bowl seats? 85 to 135 bucks. I would really like to see Tom petty and ZZ Top, both of whom I have never seen live. 150-87 bucks a ticket in the lower bowl. As Dick Enberg would say, "Oh My!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:34 pm 

Ticket prices are out of line and the talents of the new bands and groups are just plain awful...

I had some kid come in the store the other day asking if I had any Justin Bieber song books for guitar. I told him no, because I didn't. Then I had to go Google him to see who he is. After that, I listened to some of his stuff and wasn't impressed and dont think I even heard guitar in any of his songs.

I know I'll never make it in the music business as an artist, maybe sell a few songs, but it's sad when I have more talent than some kid making Millions of Dollars because he was singing on Youtube and some rapper saw him...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:37 pm 

I was willing to spend the money on the tickets because of my age and music tastes, it might be my only chance to see them before they retire or worse...

Last summer I got to see Crosby, Stills, and Nash. This summer I got to see Robert Cray, and now the Eagles. I've also seen Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, and Elvis Costello too.

I got a long list of guys I'd like see. My next big target is Neil Young whenever he comes close...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 pm 

I would be at this one in Pittsburgh Wed. night. The Fleshtones at the 31st St. Pub in Pittsburgh.

I have seen R. Cray many times. Got to know he and his band quite well in the mid 80's doing shows and the like with them. Totally new band though now. Good folks.

Saw Neil Young several years ago. Had never seen him. Was disappointed actually.

Would love to see both Elvis Costello and Willie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:54 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
And Bucfan calls me out. 8-) I am not a fan of the Eagles. I am not a fan of the music business in general these days. That said of the new artists out there, I really like Jack White and just about anything he is associated with. I kind of float with the late John Entwhistle who said that rap/hip hop is music made by people who just can't sing. I also cannot validate paying 75 bucks or more to see a show that will probably be ok. Example: Mrs AZBF bought me tickets for Christmas a couple of years back to see ERic Clapton whom I have probably seen 20 times. We had seats on the floor right in front of the soundboard. Recipe for success right? Well the performance was ok but the sound was weak and very disappointing. It just didn't rock. I now prefer seeing under the radar bands in small clubs for 20-25 bucks. Unfortunately there aren't many of these shows going. At least not here. I listen too lots of reggae but the economic slump has just about elminated any national reggae tours. Ticket costs are just out of sight. For example, Blue Oyster Cult and Foghat played here at the Celebrity Theater, a real nice theater in the round here, capacity 2500. Now these guys aren't exactly in their prime but tickets wer 65, 55 and 45 bucks. :? I would love to see Elton John and Leon Russell who have a new release out together and are touring now. Lower bowl seats? 85 to 135 bucks. I would really like to see Tom petty and ZZ Top, both of whom I have never seen live. 150-87 bucks a ticket in the lower bowl. As Dick Enberg would say, "Oh My!"

Ye gods, I have a friend who saw Foghat in a Maryland shore bar for $1 twenty years ago, and neither their output since nor Blue Oyster Cult on the bill can justify paying 50 times that today in my eyes.

From what I've read, the main reason that the costs of live shows have skyrocketed is that bands used to make their money from record sales, so they would tour for very little as a way of advertising their records, but that just isn't the case in the day of 99 cent downloads. Today the situation is reversed. They have to make their money off of live performances.

I'm totally disenchanted with the music business today. I swore that I'd never be like my dad, listening exclusively to music that was at least twenty years old, but I just can't figure out how to find new artists nowadays. Radio is a vast wasteland, especially in Pittsburgh, and searching the internet is a lot of work, and involves listening to a lot of garbage. So I find myself turning into my dad.

(Listening right now to the heavy metal bagpipe part from AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top", lol)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I was willing to spend the money on the tickets because of my age and music tastes, it might be my only chance to see them before they retire or worse...

Last summer I got to see Crosby, Stills, and Nash. This summer I got to see Robert Cray, and now the Eagles. I've also seen Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, and Elvis Costello too.

I got a long list of guys I'd like see. My next big target is Neil Young whenever he comes close...

Do not miss Young. Travel to see him if you have to. He's already had one close brush with death, and you definitely don't want to miss seeing him. I've seen him three times, three very different playlists, and each show was in my top 10 all time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
From what I've read, the main reason that the costs of live shows have skyrocketed is that bands used to make their money from record sales, so they would tour for very little as a way of advertising their records, but that just isn't the case in the day of 99 cent downloads. Today the situation is reversed. They have to make their money off of live performances.

True story.

sisyphus wrote:
(Listening right now to the heavy metal bagpipe part from AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top", lol)

Check the video on youtube. Killer. And funny too. Also the trailer to School of Rock.