Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conference Expansion Part II
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:47 pm 

IA -
I think that ISU's worst nightmare might be coming to fruition. Reports are now surfacing that Tom Osborne has informed his athletic department that Nebraska will join the Big 10. Whether this turns out to be the first dominoe is up for speculation but here is how I see it playing out:

1. Big 10 Commish says that expansion could happen in stages.
2. Nebraska gets Big 10 invite. Big 10 Commish hoping that it sets stage for further defections.
3. Colorado goes to Pac 10.
4. Nebraska and Colorado's departure - although leaving the Big 12 viable with 10 remaining teams - will end up leading to Texas, Tech, A&M, OSU and OU also joining the Pac 10; creating the first 16 team football superconference.
5. This is exactly what Delaney wants (at least now) because he can inform ND that "seismic" change is occurring. Delaney can issue the ultimatum. Big 10 will add Missouri (Kansas City and St. Louis markets), Rutgers (NJ/NY markets), Pitt and Syracuse (other NY markets) unless ND wants to replace either Pitt or Syracuse. ND faces the real risk of being left out of a superconference.
6. ND will capitulate.
7. SEC will go after 2 -4 schools for a 14-16 team conference.
8. Big East and ACC will create some sort of superconference.

College sports landscape will be much different by Independence Day. Much different.

Post subject: Re: Conference Expansion Part II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:29 am 

As a Pac-10 backer, I'm not in favor of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 am 

My brother and I followed the Missouri Tigers back in the seventies (sadly despite growing
up in Missouri I rooted against all Missouri teams.. do I need to see a shrink or what?)
The Big Eight was ruled by Oklahoma and Nebraska then..

But then when they expanded I really didn't like how the rivalries were effected. Missouri
no longer plays the Sooners or Oklahoma State yearly. Now this talk of Mizzou and others
coming to Big Ten country? I don't like it.. every Big Ten team will be running a stretch offense
eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:14 pm 

Its happening fast: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

IA -
There may be a glimmer of hope for you and it falls directly on the Texas schools. If Baylor can somehow inextricably tie itself to Tech, A&M and Texas, there is no way the Pac 10 will take all 4 schools (they won't affiliate with a religious school) and leave OU or OSU on the outside looking in. If the Texas schools are joined at the hip, the Big 12 could survive with 10 teams (losing Nebraska and Colorado). If the Big 12 survives, then - IMO - this is not the "seismic shift" predicted by Swarbrick and ND stays independent. The Big 10 would have 12 schools by adding Nebraska. Pac 10 likely adds Utah to complement Colorado and it is a "tiny shift" in the college scene.

At that point, the question is how badly does Delaney want ND and would he be willing to offer an invitation to Missouri simply to try to further force the demise of the Big 12.

I think that a lot of this is designed to force Texas and ND into different conferences and Texas can throw a real monkey wrench into it by leading the charge to keep the Big 12 alive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:17 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Delany still has the cards if this scenario rolls out.

He can simply create the seismic shift himself, and leave ND standing by itself, and pull 4 teams from the BE and get the NY market.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:27 pm 

Teaxas AM might end up in the SEC. no one wants Baylor or Texas Tech. I think the big 12 will offer TCU,Boise and maybe some conferece usa teams.

I keep reading that Maryland is a strong darkhorse to join the Big 10 which makes sense cause alot of Alumi leave in the DC area and , Boston college will go back to the Big east.

Kanas,Unc,Duke,Syracuse might be looking to build a Basketball super conference!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

If the expansion happens, I could see Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas and Kansas St. forming another conference with some of the other left out schools, especially Big East schools like West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, even Pitt. Throw in a couple others as well i.e. Memphis, TCU, South Florida. They wouldn't be a power conference in football but could have enough pull to keep a BCS bid and that would be a heck of a good basketball conference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Delany still has the cards if this scenario rolls out.

He can simply create the seismic shift himself, and leave ND standing by itself, and pull 4 teams from the BE and get the NY market.

ZM

Mike -
My "gut" tells me that Delaney is angling for landing ND and this is all very much calculated to create the seismic shift. Big questions in my mind are whether a Big 12 and Big East implosion is a necessary precursor or will ND view the impolosion of either conference as grounds to jump aboard.

Going to be an interesting few weeks.