Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Conference Expansion
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
I don't see how Pitt fits the Big 10 at all. They have no TV market (relative to Big 10, PSU already has it), they don't fill the stadium no matter how good they are, and several other BE schools offer bigger stadiums, bigger markets and much, much more money tor the Big 10. And, this is what it is all about.

ZM

That's an awfully narrow interpretation of "fit."

My point was that Pitt fits best in the Big 10 for a number of other reasons. Location, a former rivalry with Penn State, academic prestige including AAU membership and big grants for research and a very high level of prestige for graduate programs such as medicine.

This differs a bit from the criteria they will actually use which will add factors you listed as well (and they very may well be the most important).

Last I checked, though, attendance wasn't a major factor. TV ratings don't equal attendance and Pitt's TV ratings are more favorable than many of the other schools in consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:27 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

There is only one criterion... money.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I'd much rather see PSU, BC, and VT (re)join the Big East. Pipe dream I know, but the thought of not having WVU on the schedule (I'm assuming they get dropped in order to water down non-conference play) is a bit more than I can bare. Sure I'd love to see the Pitt-PSU rivalry again, but not at WVU's expense. That's all coming from my heart, but we know it's about greenbacks, so I'd be really surprised if Pitt didn't accept an offer to join the Big 10.

Well get ready cause it's the money thing and we all know what's important today. My team, WVU looks to be destroyed by this and I think it's a shame to do this again after the ACC raid only a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:33 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Argentum wrote:
I'd much rather see PSU, BC, and VT (re)join the Big East. Pipe dream I know, but the thought of not having WVU on the schedule (I'm assuming they get dropped in order to water down non-conference play) is a bit more than I can bare. Sure I'd love to see the Pitt-PSU rivalry again, but not at WVU's expense. That's all coming from my heart, but we know it's about greenbacks, so I'd be really surprised if Pitt didn't accept an offer to join the Big 10.

Well get ready cause it's the money thing and we all know what's important today. My team, WVU looks to be destroyed by this and I think it's a shame to do this again after the ACC raid only a few years ago.

Sub, I spent two years at WVU before transferring to Pitt. I will always have a soft spot for the 'Eers! Doesn't look good for the Big East does it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Substitute2 wrote:
[

Dont' kid yourself sub, that there was some kind of dream time when money meant little to nothing, and all were student atheletes.

The NCAA came about for a very good reason. College players had become free agents.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:08 pm 

Don't get me started about the NCAA. Please.............................. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:24 am 

NSMaster -
Ask Mike Stoops of that speedy Pac 10 who had the fastest defense that AZ faced last year. HINT: the team isn't from the Pac 10, SEC or Big 12.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:27 am 

No. 9 wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
I'll believe expansion news when it happens. There have been way too many hack columnists that want to "Tweet" or break news with their opinions or what they heard from a "reliable source". Whatever happens I fear my Cyclones could get left out of a BCS level conference. Boo!

IA -
As today progresses, the smoke is only getting thicker.
No. 9

The smoke is getting really black. I really feel for ISU fans. Pollard's letter to alumni wasn't exactly a vote of confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:47 am 

No. 9 wrote:
NSMaster -
Ask Mike Stoops of that speedy Pac 10 who had the fastest defense that AZ faced last year. HINT: the team isn't from the Pac 10, SEC or Big 12.

Big Sky? :lol:

Ah, I'm just kidding. Besides, everyone knows that AZ stinks. Go Huskies!