Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Willie Nelson Concert
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:05 am 

I got to see Willie Nelson tonight at the Johnstown War Memorial Arena...3rd row, just right of the stage...

Overall it was a great show...The tour is titled Willie Nelson and Family because his son's band, Promise of the Real, opened and then his son, Lukas, stayed on and played guitar all night.

His son sounds alot like Bob Dylan and even looks a bit like him too, and to top it off his first two songs were Dylan songs...His band played for about 30 minutes before giving way to the 77 year old Country and Canibus Legend...

Willie pulled out all the classics: Whiskey River, Georgia On My Mind, Always On My Mind, On the Road Again, Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys...

The biggest thrill of the night: Just as he finished up a song, there was a bit of silence so I yelled 'Superman', a song he wrote while he was on the mend for carpal tunnel. He heard me and told the story of how his doctor told him to suck it up and let it heal and he wrote the song while recovering. I cover this song when I gig out and just made my night to listen to how it is supposed to be played. After the song, I yelled thank you and Willie spoke in the mic and said 'You're Welcome'...I got high fives from everyone around me.

After the show, the son's band was signing autographs. I had to feel bad for him and in a way felt embarassed of my hometown for the treatment they gave to Lukas. People were coming up and shaking his hand and telling him 'Tell yer Dad he sounded great tonight. Can you autograph this napkin?' and others were kneeling down and getting their picture taken acting like he was a Beatle...I got in line and bought a poster and got the band to autograph it and shook their hands and told them 'thank you' and joked with the drummer if he wanted my autograph...He laughed really hard, of course I think all of them were stoned...

I'm going to proudly display the autographed poster down in my store once I get a frame and it stops raining so I can bring it in from the car, as it only stopped raining enough to walk from the arena to my car...

Over all it was an awesome night and came to find out that they have been recording their shows so people who bought a ticket could have a copy. I have to call the arena tomorrow to see who I contact to get a copy as I was part of the show.

Attachment:
DCP_1612.JPG
DCP_1612.JPG [ 53.33 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

The hat and voice are all the way Bob Dylan

Attachment:
DCP_1619.JPG
DCP_1619.JPG [ 62.87 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Yes, he is actually playing with his teeth

Attachment:
DCP_1627.JPG
DCP_1627.JPG [ 97.87 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Willie and Son

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Willie Nelson Concert
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 am 

Attachment:
DCP_1637.JPG
DCP_1637.JPG [ 168.9 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]

Harmonica great, Mickey Raphael

Attachment:
DCP_1655.JPG
DCP_1655.JPG [ 181.26 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

Willie jamming

Attachment:
DCP_1658.JPG
DCP_1658.JPG [ 161.56 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

Willie thanking the crowd as security had no control on keeping people from the front of the stage

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 am 

Great report Dan, much appreciated. Something you'll remember forever! Willie is the man.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:10 am 

About 25 years ago I read an Q and A with Willlie in Rolling Stone. Question was, "Willie, we know you have a fondness for smoking pot. Do you think you play better when you are stoned?" Answer: " Well, I don't know if I play better, but it sure does sound better." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 am 

That's one big Texas flag.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 am 

Everyone loves Willie. Thanks for the report. I bet it was a thrill to be there in person! Did you see his recent interview with Larry King? It thought it was great.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 pm 

Dan it looks like you had a hell of a good time. Especially with your love of music.

Years ago I confess that I was a big fan too. I have all his hits and still listen to them some. Not the music guy some of you are but I like him.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:39 pm 

I missed the Larry King interview, though I heard an interview with him a few years ago, he starts his tours in America near Lancaster, PA and his over seas tours in Amsterdam. His reason was he needed to stock up on supplies...

I have no clue why that would be?

I did have a blast...People working Security made Barney Fife look big...People were up all night from their seats getting pictures of him at the front of the stage. I could have but know how difficult playing music and be distracted by people, taking pictures and screaming and throwing their panties (Nobody has one that to me yet, though), so I showed some respect and just stayed in my seat. I have a loud enough voice to be heard from long distances and getting my request was enough for me.

Like I said before though, I did feel bad for his son's band during their autograph session with people getting leftover unused napkins autographed and telling him to tell his dad he played great...I felt bad for the impression they thought of this area and bad that they didnt get the proper praise they deserved...