Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sites to see in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 am 

As I mentioned in the Pirates section of this forum, I am going to be visiting Pittsburgh in May. The trip will be with my girlfriend and I wanted to see if there was anything you guys would recommend me make sure to see or do.

Our plan right now is to see the Pirates versus the Cardinals. We also want to go to the Carnegie Science & History Museums and the Zoo & Aquarium. We have talked about going by Fort Pitt as well as the furnaculars too.

Also, are there any good restaurants any of you could recommend. We like trying small mom and pop type places. Places that are truly Pittsburgh.

Post subject: Re: Sites to see in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:28 am 

I go to Pitt so I can recommend some places in Oakland.

If you guys are looking to have some drinks and it's during the day or a weeknight, I recommend Hemmingway's. It's right on Forbes Ave near the O.

In terms of food in Oakland, I really like to go to Leena's for a gyro. It's on Oakland Ave. The guy makes out of this world gyros. I'm not into falafels but his are supposed to be good as well. There is also a Thai place on Atwood St near Gene's Place called Spice Island Tea House. They make some really nice dishes. I like the Mango Pork and the Java Fried Rice is a favorite of mine.

While you're in Oakland, it wouldn't hurt to check out the Cathedral of Learning at Pitt. It's a really cool building and you really can't miss it right between 5th and Forbes. You could also check out the piece of the Forbes Field wall that is still standing where Mazeroski hit his famous HR to beat the Yankees. Home plate is inside the building across the street from the wall (sadly, I forget the name).

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am 

Go over to Station Square and ride the incline up to Mount Wahsington. That is the quintessential Pittsburgh experience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:36 pm 

I will echo Ralphie's comment. I don't know where you are staying, but a great experience is to ride the incline and then take the Gateway Clipper Fleet to the game. All of this can be done at Station Square. Even if you don't ride the boat back, you can walk across the Clemente Bridge downtown and then catch the T (Subway) which also returns you to Station Square. These are some of the simple things you can do. If you are looking for a full-out tourist day, I could list a couple hundred things to do in one of the world's greatest cities.