Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think of estrago?
Poll ended at Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:21 pm
He is fine. I wish he posted more. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
He is grating and should tone down the vitriol, but I just ignore his posts. 32%  32%  [ 11 ]
He is beyond irritating; he is a negative and I have him on "ignore." 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
He should be banned from this board and forced to wash Nutting's boxers. 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Re: Estrago poll ... what do you think?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:34 am 

Option E: I don't care.

His opinions don't bother me, and I don't care whether he posts or not. However I find it rather humorous in the fact that people are genuinely upset, and in some cases to the point of hate, by his remarks. It's baseball talk folks, he's not coming here praising the Taliban.

As someone who frequents both boards, I can say that while CIA admittedly leans the other way in its views on Bob Nutting and the Pirates, (and correctly so, but that's besides the point.) we're all fans and opposing viewpoints (pjoma) or mostly nonsensical thoughts (greybeard) would NOT merrit banning.

I think some of you take yourselves too seriously and are less tolerant of opposing points of view on the matter as you're willing to admit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:40 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'd kind of have to agree with omgardd...

Every discussion on this board regarding the pro/anti-Nutting discussions has become as stale as Buccaroo nachos by the 7th inning.

You have the choice to read what is posted on this board. No one is forcing you to read what estrago says. So, it's time for each individual person on here to quit complaining about what estrago has to say and do something about it yourself. You either skip over reading what he posts, put the guy on ignore, don't read entire threads he posts on, or just quit reading the board all together. If you choose the last option, most of you on here have formed good relationships that you can continue your relationship outside of a Pittsburgh Pirates message board.

For now, I think I'm going to take the last option and quit the board all together. I may decide to return once the regular season starts. But if I don't, and anyone cares to meet up with me, you all should know where to find me...section 138 in the orange Princeton t-shirt for every Ohlendorf start and hopefully in some sort of Ohlendorf jersey.

To quote Ringo..."Peace & love, peace & love"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:23 pm 

This board is for Pirate fans, not former disgruntled fans who have some sick and twisted vendetta against the team. He is ruining the board because he hijacks nearly every thread and discourages legitimate discussion. He should be banned, perhaps even killed.

I am on the site almost every day, but I read a lot less and post a lot less because of him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:27 pm 

It's not as easy as putting him on ignore, which I did a long time ago. He is a prolific poster who many people quote and respond to. Normal discourse is destroyed nearly every time. It's like saying you are going to ignore a 2 year old screaming at the top of his lungs in the same room. Much easier said than done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 pm 

I'm not in favor of banning him, but I am sick of every post, regardless of the original topic, becoming the same tired diatribe. Perhaps the mods could give him his own forum on this board? Whenever he tries to post in the Rotunda, the post would automatically go into a separate forum. On the occasion that he deviates from his diatribe or posts in another forum, his posts are fine with me and, at times, thoughtful and/or humorous.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
It's not as easy as putting him on ignore, which I did a long time ago. He is a prolific poster who many people quote and respond to. Normal discourse is destroyed nearly every time. It's like saying you are going to ignore a 2 year old screaming at the top of his lungs in the same room. Much easier said than done.

Well then, if people on here are sick of what he has to say, it's time to quit responding to him. Ignore him that way as well. You have control over what you type and who you respond to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:21 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Well then, if people on here are sick of what he has to say, it's time to quit responding to him. Ignore him that way as well. You have control over what you type and who you respond to.

Exactly. I find this ridiculous. I assume everyone here is an adult. So act like it. I teach sixth grade and this is like one of my students constantly complaining about some kid that is annoying them. You try to get them to ignore that student but it's tough...BECAUSE THEY ARE SIXTH GRADERS!!!!

It does get old with the constant same posts, however as omgardd said I think too many people here take themselves far too seriously and always assume they are right. ALWAYS. I've been a spotty poster from way, way back at the old board, participate in the fantasy league, etc and I have to say estrago's posts don't bug me as much as some of the other arrogance that has invaded the board over the last few years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:24 pm 

Parrott,

You bring up a valid point, but I think the average 6th grader is way more mature than your average message board poster!

Seriously though, what do you do as a teacher when you have a student that continues to disrupt the class? Suspension? Been done once with this guy when he was BullishHitter.
So, what is the next step of progressive discipline? Expulsion. Just like many school districts, there are alternative schools for kids with behavioral problems...maybe estrago needs to find an alternative message board?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:41 pm 

omgardd wrote:

His opinions don't bother me, and I don't care whether he posts or not. However I find it rather humorous in the fact that people are genuinely upset, and in some cases to the point of hate, by his remarks. It's baseball talk folks, he's not coming here praising the Taliban.

As someone who frequents both boards, I can say that while CIA admittedly leans the other way in its views on Bob Nutting and the Pirates, (and correctly so, but that's besides the point.) we're all fans and opposing viewpoints (pjoma) or mostly nonsensical thoughts (greybeard) would NOT merrit banning.

I think some of you take yourselves too seriously and are less tolerant of opposing points of view on the matter as you're willing to admit.

The fact that you, Penguin, and PBD are allowed to post here clearly shows that we are accepting of opposing viewpoints. What many of us do not like is repetitious inflammatory posting, which is what estrago does. That is trolling, and it's something that I would consider bad behavior.

If CIA is tolerant of trolling, that's fine. We do not have to be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:30 am 

omgardd wrote:

WHY cant i not post on the CIA board then Omgardd? I can Log inn, but thats it, i can not post or reply...
what should i do more then just registrate and log in?

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:09 am 

Ask the moderator?

Although Estrago may annoy some, at least he stays on the topic of Pirates baseball usually all the time. Your posts at CIA pretty much all of the time consisted of you calling another poster "Brendan's Dad Hand in Pants" over and over and over, which I suppose you found funny. That and your English is awkward.

Those reasons would be my guess. I wouldn't be too upset, at least you can still read what's posted over there, which is more than I can say for some of the CIA guys who try to venture over this way and are banned from even viewing the topics.

Just sayin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 pm 

Life is full of irritants. Just avert your eyes if you don't want to read it. Or, to draw an analogy, just pick a different route to work so that you don't have to listen to that "one guy" on the street corner hawking the same stuff day in/day out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:29 pm 

omgardd wrote:
Ask the moderator?

Although Estrago may annoy some, at least he stays on the topic of Pirates baseball usually all the time. Your posts at CIA pretty much all of the time consisted of you calling another poster "Brendan's Dad Hand in Pants" over and over and over, which I suppose you found funny. That and your English is awkward.

Those reasons would be my guess. I wouldn't be too upset, at least you can still read what's posted over there, which is more than I can say for some of the CIA guys who try to venture over this way and are banned from even viewing the topics.

Just sayin.

For a buncha interweb tough guys who heap indescribable abuse and scorn over at CIA upon anyone who takes the most vaguely optimistic view of this FO, you sure act like a buncha poncey hairdressers when you're not on your home turf. Cry me a river.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 pm 

No. 9...yes, life is full of irritants. I come here to get away from that. Yes, I can "pass by" as I have several times already. Sooner or later the street corner is going to be pretty empty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
omgardd wrote:
Ask the moderator?

Just sayin.

For a buncha interweb tough guys who heap indescribable abuse and scorn over at CIA upon anyone who takes the most vaguely optimistic view of this FO, you sure act like a buncha poncey hairdressers when you're not on your home turf. Cry me a river.

Oh Kojak, you old rascal you. If this board was a fraternity, you guys would be the men of Omega Theta Pi. I can easily see you as a Niedermeyer Kojak, and I imagine Wilton perfectly fits the Gregory Marmalarde role.

Damn those guys at CIA for dumping a whole truckload of fizzies in Frank Coonelly's swimming pool.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm 

No need to start a CIA vs UPPMB holy war Lt Col and Omgardd....

Anyways...

Look, a message board on the internet where you post incognito without worry of ever being held accountable for your statements can lead to some real douche bag comments. That's life. It's easy to ignore that. My problem with estrago continues to be his hijacking of threads with the same crap. Look, I have no problem if he initiates a post with his stance (which he does often, linking ANY negative comments, editorial, etc about the Pirates and their FO). If he chose to actually 'discuss' Pirates baseball, things would be different. Instead, he openly admits that he hasn't followed the specifics of the club for several years. He harps on the Front Office without objectively reviewing the moves that they have made. His only purpose here appears to be about causing hate and discontent amongst those that actually want to discuss the ballclub. Unless he has some other reason here, which I would love to hear, then he qualifies as a troll in my book and should be banned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm 

SIDNEY CROSBY! :lol:

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:10 pm 

estrago belongs here in my opinion. I'm often amused by all the bickering.
He represents the angry Pirate fans, which are many. Other fed up fans don't last so long in here.

Last edited by Ollie on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:

Focking Canadians ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:18 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:

Focking Canadians ... :D

thats for drafting KING FELIX in round 2...

i think i gonna take a MILLER light on this victory of Canada :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next