Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Era 59-50 Cap Surgery
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:15 pm 

I just ordered one of our red brimmed alternate caps from a few years back. These are the same hats that the players wear on the field and, if you've ever tried one of them on you know that they look stupid when you first buy them. Anyways, this is the cap I am talking about:

So, my intent is to do some cap surgery to get it to look better. There is also another problem; I bought a size that is probably going to be too small. Because I got a good deal on the hat I kind of jumped on it too quickly and didn't realize that I didn't get the size my other hat is. I don't think that's going to be a problem...it will be a challenge, though because now I am not only going to have to do surgery to get this cap to look OK, I am going to have to stretch it a bit to make it fit my noggin.

Anyhow, I had a hard time finding resources the first time I did this to a hat so I want to post this here for you guys. Some of you may not want to do this to your own hats because they cost about $33 if you buy them at a store and my method is sure to involve cutting, probably showering with it on, and maybe baking it in the oven/dipping in boiling water or putting in the dishwasher. So, long story short I am probably going to beat the piss out of it.

Here's a link or two to explain the frustration:

http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php?story=20050227203716867

Once the hat gets here in the next few days I will post some pictures, etc. I just hope it comes close enough to fitting right off because otherwise I don't know if I can stretch it too far without breaking it.

Post subject: Re: New Era 59-50 Cap Surgery
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:07 pm 

I like those caps a lot. I lost mine in Tokyo's Narita Airport in 1999.
I like to think someone wore it there for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 am 

One of the worst feelings in the world is when you lose a beloved hat.

I got one of these because I have a red vest and the regular cap doesn't go with that so well. Plus I just like something a little different and it was $20 all said and done. I don't have it yet, though, so I am keeping my fingers crossed it gets here sooner rather than later.

By the way, I picked up the jersey to go with that cap you have in your avatar. I had that a while ago and just picked up the spring training/BP jersey to go with it. I think that was our best BP look.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 pm 

I don't care for the cap but I like the batting jersey. I had an all red Pirates cap (with yellow P) and I loved that one too. I paid $1.99 for it and could kick myself for not buying two more. I gave it to my brother-in-law ten years ago.. in the Philippines. That cap got soaked from monsoon rains! Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm 

With the New Era hats, I have noticed if they are too tight you can actually remove some of the stitched in labels (usually 3 of them) in the back. You just have to "unroll" then back band and cut/rip them out. This gave me a few extra millimeters of space since it felt a bit tight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:26 pm 

This is why I have been on this sight for so long. We are getting our first, at least in my recollection, hat fitting seminar. I love it. I also have a red bill that I like but it got rained on and shrunk a bit. I think I will take the bait. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 pm 

I have that same hat and in fact wore it in Arizona for the Senior Fall Classic.

However, I will come clean on one issue ... I like the velcro fitting. I know my hat size, but when I wear the hat when running, it gets soaked in perspiration and tends to shrink. That is a non-issue for the velcro fit at the back.

Spare me the "old school" lectures, one and all. The hat fits - every time, all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I have that same hat and in fact wore it in Arizona for the Senior Fall Classic.

However, I will come clean on one issue ... I like the velcro fitting. I know my hat size, but when I wear the hat when running, it gets soaked in perspiration and tends to shrink. That is a non-issue for the velcro fit at the back.

Spare me the "old school" lectures, one and all. The hat fits - every time, all the time.

The solution to your shrinkage problem is not velcro. It is "stop running". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 pm 

Well, time for a quick update and then a couple responses to some individual posts:

First, this thread may be educational in more ways than one. I bought this hat on ebay for about $15 and it came to about $20 with shipping. They usually retail at $33 or so and I figured since they're an old alternate of ours there was nothing fishy about it. Unfortunately for me, someone posted in the seller's feedback that he sells fake New Era 59-FIFTY hats. It was one out of 70 feedbacks that was negative, however, I know they sell a lot of fake crap on ebay and the picture didn't exactly show me everything I would have needed to see to tell if it's a fake. If it's fake, I will send it back and buy one in the store. Bottom line: don't get duped on ebay. Also, I have bought a TON of jerseys on there so if any of you guys need help spotting fakes let me know and I will be glad to check it out.

AZ - Stay tuned! I'm going to do this regardless of if the hat is fake or not because then I am going to buy one at the store. If Lids has a buy 2 get the second 1/2 off deal that would be sweet. I know they used to run deals like that. I love this message board too, by the way. I like the discussion here a lot.

Bucfan - I don't like hats that aren't fitted. Secondly, the hat you have is supposed to be 100% polyester and shrink resistant, however, it's clear that just because New Era switched their 59-FIFTY from wool to polyester doesn't mean the hats don't shrink when you sweat into them. I do like the switch to polyester though because it is cooler than the wool. I don't think I have worn one like that in years. If you like fitted hats but just don't like how it shrinks up, you should try the "franchise" caps. They look distressed a little but are fitted. They're fitted by letter sizes rather than a numerical size. There are two on clearance right now on MLBshop.com I don't think this hat would shrink on you, either:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2640258&cp=1503844.1840229

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

NDL wrote:

Bucfan - I don't like hats that aren't fitted...

Son, that tune will change when you get to be the age of Bucfan and myself. Velcro will be your friend, as head and waist sizes will truly attest.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
NDL wrote:

Son, that tune will change when you get to be the age of Bucfan and myself. Velcro will be your friend, as head and waist sizes will truly attest.

ZM

In your man's words, my friend, "Mega Ditto."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
NDL wrote:

ZM

In your man's words, my friend, "Mega Ditto."

Now don't get pushed out of shape-- just trying for a little fun here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Now don't get pushed out of shape--

Getting pushed out of shape is the whole point of the thread.

sisyphus wrote:
The solution to your shrinkage problem is not velcro. It is "stop running". :lol:

And p.s. - good one, sisy. :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 am 
 WWW  Profile

I got an Oakland A's franchise hat for Christmas. Green hat with the gold bill...my favorite hat I own.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm 

So very sad news...the cap I purchased was a fake.

This was roughly the picture that I saw when I bought it. The quality on these isn't good because I took them with my cell phone.

Here is how I knew it was fake:

1. The cap has a gray underbill. This should be black. In 2007 when New Era introduced the 100% polyester hats, they also introduced black underbills in order to reduce sun glare.

2. The MLB logo doesn't match the logo on my other New Era 59-FIFTY which I purchased at a reputable dealer and thus know to be authentic.

3. The tags on the inside of the cap are not consistent with my other New Era 59-FIFTY.

4. The button on the top of the cap is not centered with the stitching. It is on my authentic cap.

Last edited by NDL on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:51 am 

There are a lot of counterfeit goods out on the market, especially on online vendors and auction houses like Amazon and Ebay. You should always do your diligence and make sure that the entity from which you are buying your products is the real deal and not an individual who happens to have some products on hand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:55 am 

Willton wrote:
There are a lot of counterfeit goods out on the market, especially on online vendors and auction houses like Amazon and Ebay. You should always do your diligence and make sure that the entity from which you are buying your products is the real deal and not an individual who happens to have some products on hand.

Usually I do. Definitely I do for any purchase I make on there that is substantial. I spent less than $20 on this after it was all said and done and the purchase price is going to be refunded so it's not a major financial loss; just the shipping cost both ways. I bought this spur of the moment (I caught it less than 3 minutes from the end of the auction) so I didn't have the chance to really check it out.

It's a shame that the market, especially on eBay, is flooded with so many fake jerseys and other items. Like I said, I didn't know they were making fake New Era hats. I'm not surprised but I wouldn't have thought an item that retails for $33 would be worth making fakes of. On that I was wrong. It's tough as well because they make some really decent looking fakes. Unfortunately the quality is the issue that you have to worry about when you buy these types of things even if they look alright.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:46 am 

I wanted to buy a Pete Maravich/LSU jersey in the fall before I went to the LSU/Florida game and the only one I could find would be shipped from Malaysia. I don't think so. I was wary immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 pm 

NDL, since you're a law student, see if you can take Trademark Law as an elective. Among other things, you'll learn a fair amount about counterfeiting and the legal measures available to prevent it. It's not necessarily going to help you with your hat situation, but you may find it interesting given your circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:47 pm 

Thanks Wilton. I'll keep that in mind when I make my next schedule.