Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olympian dies from crash
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm 

A member of Georgia's winter Olympic team died from injuries sustained during a crash.

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a Georgian luger, has died from one of the most horrible accidents imaginable just hours before the official start of the Olympics. Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over a wall, and slammed into a metal support beam. Observers said his sled was traveling nearly 90 mph.

The 21-year-old was knocked unconscious, then immediately administered CPR and air-lifted to a Whistler hospital where he died. The 2010 Games would have been Kumaritashvili's first Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancou ... oly,219382

Some of these winter Olympic sports are crazed ...

Post subject: Re: Olympian dies from crash
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:11 am 

Bucfan wrote:
A member of Georgia's winter Olympic team died from injuries sustained during a crash.

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a Georgian luger, has died from one of the most horrible accidents imaginable just hours before the official start of the Olympics. Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over a wall, and slammed into a metal support beam. Observers said his sled was traveling nearly 90 mph.

The 21-year-old was knocked unconscious, then immediately administered CPR and air-lifted to a Whistler hospital where he died. The 2010 Games would have been Kumaritashvili's first Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancou ... oly,219382

Some of these winter Olympic sports are crazed ...

I saw a clip of the crash on the news, and I have a hard time believing that he didn't die instantly.

Post subject: Re: Olympian dies from crash
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:29 pm 

That's just an awful event.

One of the worst feelings I ever have are when something good ends up something bad. This is a perfect example of something good ending up something bad and I think that's why it's so hard to take. This poor guy was just trying to take a practice run before what I am sure was his dream: to compete in the Olympics (a dream he realized by the way). Then, he crashes and dies before realizing his dream.

What a sad day for the Olympics.