Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on good Books.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:45 pm 

I'm always looking for an interesting novel or non-Fiction. My recommendations include:

Gresham, and Patterson novels At least most of Patterson's works although their are so many out there.

Have not read Clancy but seen several movies based on his books( noteably "Red October"). Is he worth my time? Who else should I pick up for entertainment.

As far as non-fiction or Historical fiction goes I like recent Biographies of Presidents.

Strongly recommend Dark and Bloody River[u][/u] (the Ohio) by Eckhard. It deals with the earliest settlers in this area and west. Very interesting in dealing with relationships and war between Indians and pioneers. Great deal about scalping and gruesome killings by both sides.

Post subject: Re: Advice on good Books.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:46 pm 

I would recommend the Robert Ludlum books. Very well written and much better than the movies that came out recently.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:47 pm 

What have you guys read that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Sub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:01 pm 

For Ludlum, you should read the Bourne series which starts with The Bourne Identity. Three books total.

The Scarlatti Inheritance was his first and is based in WW II. Ludlum writes a lot about Nazi-related storylines post-WW II, and a lot of CIA, covert type storylines.

One quick note on the author. He was actually brought in by the CIA on several occasions because his information was so accurate. They wanted to know where he was getting it from.

If I had to pick one outside the Bourne series, The Chancellor Manuscript is very good. It's about J Edgar Hoover's files after his death. They are making a movie out of it soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:53 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I'm always looking for an interesting novel or non-Fiction. My recommendations include:

Gresham, and Patterson novels At least most of Patterson's works although their are so many out there.

Have not read Clancy but seen several movies based on his books( noteably "Red October"). Is he worth my time? Who else should I pick up for entertainment.

As far as non-fiction or Historical fiction goes I like recent Biographies of Presidents.

Strongly recommend Dark and Bloody River[u][/u] (the Ohio) by Eckhard. It deals with the earliest settlers in this area and west. Very interesting in dealing with relationships and war between Indians and pioneers. Great deal about scalping and gruesome killings by both sides.

I'll have to check out "Dark and Bloody River".

Clancy's early books are great, but I think that the story lines become less and less plausible as the Jack Ryan stories progress. The problem is that by then you care about the characters, so you have to keep buying the next book. I really liked "Red Storm Rising", which is not connected to the Jack Ryan character.

You can't go wrong with anything written by Larry McMurty, especially the "Lonesome Dove" series.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:47 pm 

Sub, if you are interested in historical naval fiction, Alexander Kent has a series of books following the character Richard Bolitho from a Midshipmen up the ranks. I think it is far more engaging than the Master and Commander series. There are 27 books in total and I found myself having to buy 2-3 at a time so that when I would finish one, I didn't have to wait to go on the the next.

Historical Non-Fiction - James Bradley's "Flags of our Fathers" and "Flyboys" were great reads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:01 pm 

WOW-- ask and ye shall receive. Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 pm 

Alright bucco boy, I took your advice and grabbed a Ludlum book from the library today- THe Prometheus Deception. Was going to get the Chancellor Files, but it was on hold for another patron.

The two books I've read this month were Stephen King's Under the Dome, which was a 200 page story told over the course of 1200 pages, so I can't recommend it. I thought it was an interesting story, but was way too slow moving and dull.

The book I just took back to the library was Dan Fesperman's The Armsmaker of Berlin. Kind of a Davinci Code-like story about WWII Germany, where a college history professor is hired by the FBI following his mentor's death to investigate some missing OSS files that disappeared after the war. I thought it was a decent tale, and it convinced me to pick up another story of his- The Prisoner of Guantanamo. We'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14 pm 

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/Books/D ... asbad.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:14 pm 

I love the Odd Thomas series from Dean Koontz. Pretty funny at times in a strange way. I also just read "Best Game Ever" ? about Game 7 of the 60 World Series featuring appearances from our own Docjeano. Really good book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm 

I'm a huge fan of (and thus highly recommend) the detective Kurt Wallender series by Henning Mankell. Most of the stories are set in the Skane region of southern Sweden but one of the most gripping, The White Lioness, takes place largely in South Africa and involves a plot to assassinate Nelson Mandela.

Other titles in the series: Faceless Killers, The Return of the Dancing Master, The Man Who Smiled, The Fifth Woman, Before the Frost, and The Dogs of Riga.

Don't be put off by the setting; reading them doesn't require a familiarity with Sweden. In fact, they've been translated into dozens of other languages and have sold tens of millions of copies around the world.

Reviews of Mankell's books are easy to find on the Internet if anyone is interested in learning more.

Last year, the BBC turned three of them into made-for-TV movies (seen on "Masterpiece Theater" on PBS) and is doing so again this year with more of them. The great Irish actor Kenneth Brannagh plays Wallender.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Pretty much anything by Cormac McCarthey (No Country for Old Men).

New style of writing as pointed out by my english teacher and musician son.

No use of parentheses and assumption that the reader can follow who is talking to whom. Wow.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:46 pm 

From Howard Zinn:

A People's History of American Empire

From Noam Chomsky:

What We Say Goes: Conversations on U.S. Power in a Changing World
Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy

From Michael Parenti:

Democracy for the Few
Trends and Tragedies in American Foreign Policy
Blackshirts & Reds: Rational Fascism and the Overthrow of Communism
Land of Idols: Political Mythology in America
Superpatriotism

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:23 am 

If you haven't already, you must read Freakonomics.