Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Navarette nails it again.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:32 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/29/navarrette.obama.immigration/index.html?hpt=T2

Post subject: Re: Navarette nails it again.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:39 am 

Immigration is a really tough issue. Believing that in the limited time Obama's administration has been in office they would have taken care of this already is a little outrageous.

I agree; it's one of the most important issues our government is going to need to tackle in the coming years. The problem is that there aren't really a lot of great solutions to it. On one hand, we have a lot of people who have broken the law to come here and many of us don't like that but on the other hand, they do important work. Also, even if we knew where each and every one of them lived we don't have the resources to round them all up and ship them back.

I do like the idea of a step-like program to citizenship.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:11 am 

NDL wrote:
Immigration is a really tough issue. Believing that in the limited time Obama's administration has been in office they would have taken care of this already is a little outrageous.

I agree; it's one of the most important issues our government is going to need to tackle in the coming years. The problem is that there aren't really a lot of great solutions to it. On one hand, we have a lot of people who have broken the law to come here and many of us don't like that but on the other hand, they do important work. Also, even if we knew where each and every one of them lived we don't have the resources to round them all up and ship them back.

Illegal immigration isn't that tough an issue. All you need to do is find a few companies who are employing illegals, then toss their CEOs into a real prison for a while. Attack the demand side. No demand, no illegal aliens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:19 am 

The economy has stemed the flow at least temporarily. No jobs, no illegals. We have even had kids leaving school to move back to Mexico due to the lack of jobs and the layoffs particularly in the construction industry here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
NDL wrote:

Illegal immigration isn't that tough an issue. All you need to do is find a few companies who are employing illegals, then toss their CEOs into a real prison for a while. Attack the demand side. No demand, no illegal aliens.

I think a better solution would be to repeal minimum wage laws. I have trouble getting behind the idea of punishing a company for trying to compete in the market.