Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies You've Seen Recently (Old and New)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:41 pm 

I rented The Hurt Locker last night. Very good. Iraq war movie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:43 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Really enjoyed both Cassino and Goodfellas as both DiNero and Pesci are perfectly cast.

"My Cousin Vinnie" is another Pesci film worth seeing. Very funny in parts. It's been awhile but my memory is of the Pesci line about "the yutes." Certainly is a non ganster role for Pesci.

Ah yes. "Deese two yutes...." :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:50 pm 

Nice info on Clerks. I didn't realize they weren't actors at all. Although I guess being in a movie and acting a role out makes you an actor.

I saw My Cousin Vinny recently. I thought it was entertaining but I didn't really find it all that funny. I think the part I liked the best was when he came in with the magenta tuxedo on.

I'm going to have to check out The Hurt Locker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:22 am 

88 Minutes - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411061/ - Al Pacino stars as a forensic psychologist who may or may not have done some unfortunate things. Unfortunately for him, however, he's got someone who believes this and that he has only 88 Minutes left.

The story in this movie is pretty good but unfortunately I think they forgot to write it so that you can actually figure out what's going on. There's quite a few moving parts, none of which are overly complicated on their own but when put together there is quite a bit happening. On top of this, they forgot to include the most important part.

Anyways, this is entertaining but not the greatest movie I have seen recently.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:05 pm 

Finally saw The Hangover. Good, but not great. I think the hype set up high expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm 

I saw parts of The Hangover and just wanted to punch that dentist in the face and knock the rest of his teeth out for being a whiny girl.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:55 pm 

American Psycho - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/ - Christian Bale stars as Patrick Bateman, a young yuppie employed as a high ranking employee at a large financial firm on Wall Street. Bateman's got an obsession with being fit, rich in material goods, and in control. He's also got a darker obsession than his facial and skin treatments: murder.

Bale plays an awesome role in this movie. The movie is also really well scripted and written. It's based off a novel which I didn't read, however, the movie is no disappointment. It's a great portrayal of the 80's yuppie culture which is exactly what it was aimed at being.

Another interesting tidbit about American Psycho is that Bale's step-mother protested the release of the novel the film was based on in 1991.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Finally saw The Hangover. Good, but not great. I think the hype set up high expectations.

Tigers don't like cinnamon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Tigers don't like cinnamon.

It's not a purse; it's a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm 

The Blind Side is an excellent film, and Sandra Bullock's performance in it, I think, is the best of her career. Oscar-worthy.

Another good football movie is Friday Night Lights. Like The Blind Side, it's quite faithful to the book.

Also, my wife dragged me to Julie and Julia not long ago. I didn't expect to enjoy it but did after all.

Finally, I share No. 9's sentiments about October Sky. It deserved much more attention than it attracted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm 

I have been watching Julia Child since I was a child and I must say I loved the film and thought Meryl Streep was dead on.

Is October Sky the one about the UFO's in the White Mountains of Az?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm 

No, AZ, it's a true story about the teenage son of a West Virginia coal miner who angers his father by pursuing a career in rocketry instead of following dad into the mines. He's inspired by the launching of Sputnik in the 1950s (it's visible in the sky over their town at night) and goes on to become one of the early leaders of NASA. What makes dad even angrier is that his son gets the machinist at the mine to make some of the parts for his rockets.

Good movie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 am 

Eyes Wide Shut - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120663/ - A risque and erotic tale of a 24 hour or so adventure of a medical doctor troubled in recent developments in his marriage. Sex, drugs, secret societies: they're all here.

I was really entertained by this movie. I also think it was really well made and I actually liked Tom Cruise in it. I'm not a big fan of his but he really does play an excellent part in this movie. I was much less impressed with his then wife Nicole Kidman. I'll have to check out more movies of hers to see if I just don't like her as an actress.

What I really liked about this movie was the element of surprise as to what happened to the characters at the secret meeting. Since I don't want to spoil this, I won't elaborate any further. Suffice it to say that I found it very intriguing and that it's worth a watch. One thing, though, is that it seemed excessively long and I didn't exactly get the level of depth that I would have hoped for in a movie that lasted that long.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 pm 

Couples Retreat - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078940/ - Vince Vaughn and a group of married friends go on an adventure to a beautiful island to help save his friend's marriage and are astounded that they, too, have to participate in counseling.

I liked this movie a lot. I thought it was really funny. I tend to like Vince Vaughn a lot. There's something about the way he talks that he can make just about anything seem funny to me. I loved him in Wedding Crashers and I think this movie is another solid comedy performance.

In addition, Malin Akerman is a real beauty.

If you liked Wedding Crashers or like Vince Vaughn, check this one out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:46 am 

While I agree, Vince Vaughn is funny...he is the same character in EVERY movie!!! I guess if it works, keep it going, but seriously.

By the way, all the main love interests in Couples Retreat are hot! Kirsten Bell, Malin Ackerman and Kristen Davis...yowzer!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm 

I didn't recognize Ackerman from Watchmen, but man is she hot. She's one of my favorite Hollywood hotties at this point. I think it might be the girl next door thing.

I like the role Vaughn plays and I don't get sick of it. I can see how others would.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:02 am 

Saw 'Clash of the Titans'.

It was so-so.

Nothing new or groundbreaking, just a typical action/SFX, eat-your-popcorn and Milk Duds flick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:09 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Saw 'Clash of the Titans'.

It was so-so.

Nothing new or groundbreaking, just a typical action/SFX, eat-your-popcorn and Milk Duds flick.

When I was a kid I loved the original wirh Harry Hamlin. Saw it at the theater. Wonder how it holds up today? My kids want to see the new one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 am 

Sherlock Holmes

Big thumbs up. Downey and Law were excellent. The story was great and the action scenes by Guy Ritchie were outstanding. Highlky recommend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:57 am 

I saw the previews for it yesterday...June 11th, The A-Team Movie...

It looks to be alright from what I saw on the previews...

Starring Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Jessica Biel, and UFC star Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson in Mr. T's role

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next