Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Movies You've Seen Recently (Old and New)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm 

Just re-watched A League of Their Own and I a never cease to be amazed by just how incredible the movie is. Probably my fave sports movie ever. One particular brilliant touch: the casting of the older women when they come back for the opening of the HoF exhibit. Spot on. I know what Geena Davis and Madonna will look like in another 20 years. And so, so many great lines.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:
Just re-watched A League of Their Own and I a never cease to be amazed by just how incredible the movie is. Probably my fave sports movie ever. One particular brilliant touch: the casting of the older women when they come back for the opening of the HoF exhibit. Spot on. I know what Geena Davis and Madonna will look like in another 20 years. And so, so many great lines.

I love that movie. I always thought Kit (Lori Petty) was a cute.

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:38 am 

If you've seen BB and TDK, you've already seen TDKR.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:44 pm 

Attachment:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 7.79 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]

Bourne Legacy

Got roped into seeing it. Not worth seeing, even on DVD. Highly derivative of the original Bourne movie (which I didn't like, so you know I was going to dislike this one): secret agent is being chased by "them" who don't want any evidence of their experimentations. Along the way he picks up a babe to accompany him, they have a chase scene on and off crowded roads, and the bad guy assassin bites it almost anticlimatically.

A waste of popcorn...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:36 pm 

val wrote:
Attachment:
images.jpg

Bourne Legacy

A waste of popcorn...

Should have gotten Jr. Mints. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:47 pm 

The Bourne books by Robert Ludlum is one of my favorite literary series. None of the movies have ever done them justice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 pm 

I think Bourne Identity, the first one, is the best spy/thriller ever. And I've read a lot.

No one here needs to read my tired old rant on the comparison between good/great books and the movies that butcher them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:50 pm 

I won free passes to see a film at the Cleveland Cinematheque. It's located inside the Cleveland Institute of Art. They screen foreign and low budget films, documentaries.

I had four filmes to chose from. I selected "Elles," a 2011 French film, directed and co-written by Polish director Małgorzata Szumowska. It's about a journalist from Partis
who researches and writes an article about female student prostitution.

She interviews two women. At first she looks down on them but eventually she begins to admire them. This is reeeeally a good movie (and there's tons of nudity. >__<)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm 

I've seen a lot of bad movies on IMAX screens over the years (our best friends have, shall we say, questionable taste in movies), but this was a treat. Great movie to see on IMAX, it really takes full advantage of every inch of the screen.

Attachments:
imagesCAJVCKX3.jpg
imagesCAJVCKX3.jpg [ 10.7 KiB | Viewed 1542 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:56 am 

12 years a slave--- some great acting, good movie, but........ found myself looking at my watch several times. message to me-- too long and repetitive scenes of violence and mal-treatment of slaves in a desperate, hopeless life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:44 am 

Didn't see Lone Survivor but just finished the book. Great read and while I know the book's always better, I think any American will enjoy the story here. It makes you proud of Navy Seals and appreciate their training and never say die attitude.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:43 am 

30 for 30: Bad Boys

A very enjoyable romp through the pomp that was the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys era.

I loved the Pistons then, and I say this as a Celtics fan. I was watching the game when Robert Parish slugged Laimbeer and that was one of two times I yelled and leapt off the couch, hitting my fist on our low basement ceiling. (The other was the Miracle on Ice.)

But, this was a singular team and watching it progress was a lesson in roster construction. The Pistons got Thomas because they sucked, got Dumars in the middle of the 1st round (and I had no idea who he was when they drafted him), got Laimbeer on a simple trade, added the higher profile Adrian Dantley via trade, drafted John Salley, who I was very familiar with, being a child of the ACC and all (and who, if Jay Bilas wasn't playing at the time, would have been the first person about whom would have raved about his "length"), and acquired Rick Mahorn via trade. Oh, and they got Vinnie Johnson via free agency for a song and drafted Dennis Rodman on the last day of the draft. Step by step by step, they got better and better.

And then they pulled off the trade that turned it all around, letting Dantley go for Mark Aquirre. It took them two years to knock off the Celtics and then two years to knock off the Lakers. But a consistent, upward progression like this has rarely been seen.

Anyway, great documentary, though the Microwave doesn't really get his due. With him and Rodman and Salley, man o man, was the second team on the Pistons fun to watch. The most challenging footage to watch, though, I suppose, were the interviews with Bill Laimbeer, a thug if there ever was one. But a smart one. I remember being in Lansing for a conference and the Detroit paper was doing a series of very in depth interviews with each player and the one day I got it was with Laimbeer. And he was very thoughtful and intelligent and I came away thinking that was one ball player who was smarter than I was. And I don't think very often.:)

I may actually watch this one again

Attachments:
download.jpg
download.jpg [ 12.8 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6