Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: It will take a miracle . . .
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm 

. . . for the Democrats to hold on to the Senate seat that's at stake here tomorrow. The weather is projected to be unpleasant (temperatures in the low 30s, sleet, strong winds) -- a disincentive for anybody but the most motivated voters to go to the polls. Their candidate not only has been nasty, arrogant, and elitist but also a gaffe machine. She has insulted Red Sox fans, Catholics, pickup truck owners, and even rape victims. There's no energy to her campaign, only the appearance of desperation as she sinks lower in opinion polls almost by the hour. Obama came here yesterday to try to help her, but he couldn't even fill the 2,500-seat Northeastern University field house where the rally was held. And the early count of absentee ballots (which are so numerous they may have set a state record) have her 16 percentage points behind (58-42).

Meanwhile, her Republican opponent has run a positive, well-organized, and high-energy campaign. He has the endorsements of some of the highest-profile sports figures, several municipal police departments, even some Democratic mayors.

Absent massive voter fraud, don't be surprised if her opponent wins easily. Not taking anything for granted, but I've lived here for almost 38 years, and I never thought I would be able to say that.

Post subject: Re: It will take a miracle . . .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:13 pm 

Regardless of whether he's run a good campaign or not, what matters is how he will perform as a legislator. What's his stance on things?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:56 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

His primary platform is to vote immediately against the health care fiasco.

fiscal responsibility, lower taxes, less government... Basically a "tea bagger".

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
His primary platform is to vote immediately against the health care fiasco.

fiscal responsibility, lower taxes, less government... Basically a "tea bagger".

ZM

I'd like to think that there are people who tout such virtues that should not be roped into the group of nutjobs that run the tea bagger movement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You haven't a clue, do you, who makes up the bulk of that movement.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm 

You don't want to know what I thought a tea bagger was. 8-) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 pm 

Well, we're getting snow, not sleet, and it is not windy after all (at least not where I live).

Reports from all over the state indicate that voter turnout is heavy, although they're coming almost exclusively from the suburbs and more rural areas. Which may not be good news for the Republican. The cities -- Boston, Springfield, Worcester, New Bedford, and Fall River -- are overwhelmingly Democrat and easily would swamp the rest of the state. The Zogby polling firm is predicting victory for the Democrat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:27 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
You don't want to know what I thought a tea bagger was. 8-) :lol: :lol:

And, that is exactly what the media outlets meant. :twisted:

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bob in Boston wrote:

Reports from all over the state indicate that voter turnout is heavy...

Dead bodies are not the easiest or lightest thing to lug around to voting booths. :shock:

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 pm 

Forty-five minutes left until the polls close across the state. Turnout in Boston reportedly is above average but not huge. Not a good sign for Coakley, if that's true. Now her campaign is complaining that voters are being handed ballots pre-marked for Scott Brown. In a state where her party controls everything? Not likely. Sounds to seasoned political observers here like desperation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:37 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The news reported tonight at 7 PM that Coakley was already complaining about voter "irregularities" in three cities outside Boston... but that the memo distributed was dated yesterday.

Competent campaign, that one.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 pm 

It's over. Brown will win by a minimum of 4 percent -- too great a margin for the Democrats to overcome by cooking the books.

They have nobody to blame for this but themselves.

If Ted Kennedy hadn't forced two changes in the process by which a vacant Senate seat here would be filled, a Democrat would be serving out the remainder of his term and there wouldn't have been a special election today.

In '04, when the governor was a Republican and John Kerry was running for president, Kennedy pressured the Legislature to strip from the governor the right to appoint Kerry's successor if Kerry won. The Legislature complied. Two years later, voters chose a Democrat as governor and then Kennedy became terminally ill. In the final weeks of his life, he asked the Legislature to change the process back. Over widespread public objection, it did, but on condition that the appointed successor could serve only until a special election was held.

Ironic, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

All I have to say is...WHEW!

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
In '04, when the governor was a Republican and John Kerry was running for president, Kennedy pressured the Legislature to strip from the governor the right to appoint Kerry's successor if Kerry won. The Legislature complied. Two years later, voters chose a Democrat as governor and then Kennedy became terminally ill. In the final weeks of his life, he asked the Legislature to change the process back. Over widespread public objection, it did, but on condition that the appointed successor could serve only until a special election was held.

Ironic, huh?

Delicious irony. Teddy is spinning at about 3500 RPM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:54 am 
 WWW  Profile

[quote="Ralphie"

Delicious irony. Teddy is spinning at about 3500 RPM[/quote]

From the alcohol? Sorry, had to! :lol:

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 pm 

Coakley Blew It

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggl ... etts-.aspx

It also was a blunt message to a president who has tried - and failed - to find middle ground with Republican opposition. Now it's Mr. Obama's move. Maybe we'll find out where he wants to take his party when he delivers the State of the Union speech.

Will Obama see the problem? Will the congressional democrats face reality and dump Reid and Pelosi? Not likely. That means we may see a massive rejection of Democrats in November.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm 

estrago wrote:
It also was a blunt message to a president who has tried - and failed - to find middle ground with Republican opposition.

Oh? And what is the evidence of that? I must not have been paying attention that afternoon.

On the other hand, I do recall him telling Republican leaders, "I won." And, "I will trump you on that."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:37 pm 

Well great-- we didn't need any health care reform anyway, did we Bob. Now we got everything under control.

BTW, Palin is the keynote speaker at the teabag convention next month. Need to have any clearer definition of the great movement. Even when asked to name some 'founding fathers' by Beck on his show, she could name only George Washington. She's sure presidential material.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Substitute2 wrote:
Well great-- we didn't need any health care reform anyway, did we Bob. Now we got everything under control.

Cut the hyperbole. This particular bill is a monstrosity that creates more problems than solutions, and does nothing to reform health key points. Either the House or Senate version. It does get at least the out of control Dems under control for a bit, and maybe gives the responsible ones some maneuvering room.

Quote:
BTW, Palin is the keynote speaker at the teabag convention next month. Need to have any clearer definition of the great movement. Even when asked to name some 'founding fathers' by Beck on his show, she could name only George Washington. She's sure presidential material.

Didn't figure you for the insulting kind, Substitute. "teabags"? Are you really going the homophobe route? Because that is what the reference is all about.

Did you watch the Beck show before you speak? She was asked for a favorite. That implies one name, sub, only one.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 pm 

You're right that I didn't watch and wouldn't watch your boy beck. I got my info second hand and may have misspoke.
You know I'm no homophone so let's get past the cheap shots Mike.

I've many times and again say to those who oppose health care reform. What is your solution? I never get an answer that addresses the problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next