Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer discussion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:05 pm 

The school district that I work for is replacing about 1000 E Mac G4's, the ones that look like an egg cut in half. They had a sale this past weekend to sell the G4s for 30 bucks. They usually just take them to an auction on a palate and get about 3 bucks apiece. We are getting our laptops replaced this year and I mentioned to the superintendent that in these financially trying days that the district could possibly sell their old units for a bit more than that and aid the district's finances. Well I don't know if this is what prompted the sale but it went off with mixed results. Turnout was about 5 times what they expected. People were camped out the night before like it was Black Friday. On top of it, some private school came and got in line and bought 120 of 500 or so. That did not make the folks happy. They are doing 4-500 more later in the year. I was lucky enough to get one and couldn't be happier. It is plug and play with all the programs yet wiped clean of any other stuff that may have been on it. I have used macs at work for 12 years and like them. This computer is older than the PC sitting next to it but it is faster than the PC.

Just wondered if there are any things I should know or what other's thoughts are in the PC/Mac battle.

Post subject: Re: Computer discussion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

My mother had that unit. She loved it until it became "irrelevant" in Mac's eyes. You may find that the OS is not supported by Mac anymore, and definitely that software compatibility can be an issue, if you do a lot of on-line stuff. That is why she moved up to the "Cube" Mac.

I don't care for them too much. Limited resources for my line of work.

ZM

Post subject: Re: Computer discussion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 pm 

It was a plug and play situation until I tried to go to youtube and the Mrs. tried to go to spaceface. The Safari would not operate. There were 2 options to fix this, the first of which I did with some help from a guy from work. There is a site OldMacApps.com and you can download the Firefox necessary. Took 5 minutes and was all set. The other is to wipe the system clean and install OS 10.4. You do that and Safari will accept it all. Pretty cool.