Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road trip!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 am 

So, I just finished driving from Pittsburgh to the central coast of California. America is a beautiful country. Every part of the country is unique and has something interesting and worthwhile. St. Louis is awesome, the exit ramp from I-70 to I-44 looks like you are going to drive right into the side of Busch Stadium before you make a 90 degree turn. Driving through the Missouri ozarks, I saw billboards reminding the public of the dangers of feral pigs and the need to report them to authorities. Also saw a billboard that said simply, and I am not making this up, "got teeth?"

Oklahoma was rainy the whole way across. Northern Texas has a desolate beauty. The I-40 corridor through New Mexico was some of the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen (though I could have done without the 21 degree temps). Az was somewhat less impressive, but I think when I have more time to stop and see things like the Grand Canyon, petrified forests, meteorite craters, etc. I will get a better feel for it. The California deserts were simply stunning, and you go from complete desert to 6 lanes of LA traffic moving at 75 mph bumper to bumper in a span of 20 miles or so- amazing. Don't know how people live in LA, it seems it would take forever to get anywhere. But driving was certainly a thrill. Then, perhaps the best part of the trip was the trip up the Pacific Coast Highway, overlooking the Pacific, winding through hills and later, vineyards.

Anyways, I recommend this to anyone. It was kind of lonely by myself, but I am flying back to Pittsburgh this weekend, and after Thanksgiving I am repeating the trip with my wife and dogs in our other car, at a more leisurely pace (made it this time in just over 3 days, driving 10 hours a day) which will hopefully allow us to see some more of the sights.

Post subject: Re: Road trip!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:19 am 

Did you notice the Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo. How about the giant bass boat factory in Missouri? The big school bus factory in Indiana. The San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff. Glad you made it safely. Best of luck in Cali.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:46 am 

A year and a half ago, my wife and I traveled some of the same route. I was also terribly impressed with the variety and beauty of this country. We ended up at Las Vegas and then returned by a more northern route.

We were a little south of you as we avoided I-70. It is so heavily traveled east of the Mississippi we wanted a calmer route. We did get to I-40 and took it to Az. Many beautiful views and we took 4 days to get to Flagstaff, where we spent three days seeing AZ. The old Route 66 was a big disappointment to me and some of the towns around it were very run down.

Got to disagree on couple comments. First I thought Az was incredible. The San Francisco Peaks just dominate Flagstaff and surrounding areas, Sedona to the south, and Grand Canyon, and Lake Powell--simply beautiful. The other difference I have is I thought that north Texas was for the most part a terrible drive with little beauty for us. Everyone has a different take on beauty. BTW, have traveled I-70 as far as Denver in the past and believe firmly that God screwed up big time creating Kansas (foresaken flat, treeless, boring drive).

One vote for taking your wife though a more northernly route if you are making a round trip. We came back through Denver on I-70 and then went north to Wyoming, S.D. and east from there. Got to tell you that Utah is unbelievibly beautiful. Who knew? Loved the trip through S.D.(Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park (bison), Wisconsin, and Minnosota toward Chicago. We were lucky and had 26 days on out vacation and used it all. Since then, I recommend it to everyone. What a country :!: :!:

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

If intersted in more of our trip and views just send me a PM and I'll gladly share more infomation with you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 pm 

BBF I know that exit ramp well. I take I-44 to my hometown in southwest Missouri every other year. A couple of times I've missed that ramp.

In the seventies my family drove out west to Utah (yep, amazing state, Sub.. my mother's family is from a small town in central UT), Arizona, Texas on summer trips. That planted a strong sense of wanderlust in me. In the eighties I moved to Cleveland.

I like Cleveland and Ohio a lot, but I'm a Ozarks hillbilly at heart. That drive through western Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois isn't scenic enough for me. Once I pass into Missouri my skin starts to tingle. I love that land, the landscape, sooo much. I'm pleased that you pointed it out, BBF. Good luck in your future endeavors.