Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7187
Passed away at work this morning, at age 58...

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/nbcs-tim-r ... 4109990001

Quote:
Tim Russert, who pointedly but politely questioned hundreds of the powerful and influential as moderator of NBC's "Meet the Press," died suddenly Friday while preparing for his weekly broadcast. The network's Washington bureau chief was 58.

In addition to his weekly program, Russert appeared on the network's other news shows, was moderator for numerous political debates and wrote two best-selling books.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are still kicking but Tim Russert is dead.

Life ain't fair sometimes!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4761
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Jeremy wrote:
Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are still kicking but Tim Russert is dead.

Life ain't fair sometimes!


Depends on who you ask. The media is still weighed heavily on the liberal side.

_________________
North Dakota State Bison (0-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-0)
Jack Trice Stadium
August 30, 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Jeremy wrote:
Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are still kicking but Tim Russert is dead.

Life ain't fair sometimes!


Nice. Really mature. What a generosity of spirit: wishing ill on those who don't agree with you politically. What an obvious high regard for the constitutional guarantee of free speech.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Bob in Boston wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are still kicking but Tim Russert is dead.

Life ain't fair sometimes!


Nice. Really mature. What a generosity of spirit: wishing ill on those who don't agree with you politically. What an obvious high regard for the constitutional guarantee of free speech.


Free speech isn't something either of those two men are very familiar with. One of them urges people to go and start riots at the Democratic National Convention and the other attacks things like higher education.

It's got nothing to do with free speech. But it does have everything to do with what kind of people they are.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6156
Tim Russert painted a pretty fair and two sided picture. Can't really say the same of the other two knuckleheads.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Jeremy wrote:
Free speech isn't something either of those two men are very familiar with. One of them urges people to go and start riots at the Democratic National Convention and the other attacks things like higher education.

It's got nothing to do with free speech. But it does have everything to do with what kind of people they are.


You couldn't be more wrong.

And please cite chapter and verse where either Limbaugh or Beck urged people to start riots at the DNC convention. In other words, prove it.

As to your point about attacking higher education, surely you can't be serious. Hardly a week goes by that it doesn't embarrass itself.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Bob in Boston wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Free speech isn't something either of those two men are very familiar with. One of them urges people to go and start riots at the Democratic National Convention and the other attacks things like higher education.

It's got nothing to do with free speech. But it does have everything to do with what kind of people they are.


You couldn't be more wrong.

And please cite chapter and verse where either Limbaugh or Beck urged people to start riots at the DNC convention. In other words, prove it.

As to your point about attacking higher education, surely you can't be serious. Hardly a week goes by that it doesn't embarrass itself.


He did it on his radio show. To deny it happened makes you look as foolish as they do.

And as far as embarrassing things go, we've had 8 years of a President who can't speak proper English. But you Conservatives love that kind of thing because it makes him more "real" when in reality all it does is make him really embarrassing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Jeremy, you have failed to do as I asked. Get real for just a minute: If Rush Limbaugh had done as you say, it would have been national news. National news. And he would have been forced out of his job, as Don Imus was over his crack about the women basketball players at Rutgers. To a lesser extent, that would have been true of Glenn Beck (who also has a radio show) as well. You may not like what either of them says, but they are careful and responsible men, not advocates of violence.

I don't deny that Limbaugh has discussed rioting at the DNC on his program. But not to urge people to violence; to report on those who do. The only advocates for rioting at the Democratic National Convention of whom I am aware -- and news is my business -- are liberals such as Recreate '68. Here, read and learn:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8644715

By the way, the Denver Post is a liberal -- not a conservative -- newspaper and certainly not out to make fellow liberals look bad.

As to President Bush, what has he to do with criticizing higher education? And for once please don't pull that liberal trick of changing the subject when you're coming up short in a debate.

Higher education is a cesspool. It is overpriced. It is riddled with professors such as Ward Chamberlain, formerly of the University of Colorado, who falsify their resumes and imbue their lectures with anti-American claptrap, and Sami al-Arian of the University of South Florida, who was convicted and deported for raising funds for the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorism organization. It welcomes enemies of the United States to campus, as Columbia University did with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran last Sept. 24. It confers distinguished professorships on the likes of William Ayers, who as a member of the Weathermen bombed public buildings in the early 1970s and on the very day of the 9/11 terrorist attacks told The New York Times, "'I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough.'' It imposes "gun-free zones" on campuses that then become free-fire zones for unbalanced people bent on taking out their personal pain on innocent fellow students, such as at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University. It turns its back on tuition-paying, innocent-until-proven-guilty students, as Duke University did -- all the way up to President Richard Brodhead -- with the lacrosse players. Far from encouraging the free flow of ideas, it refuses to allow conservatives a voice. Just try to speak on campus without being pied in the face if you're Ward Connerly, David Horowitz, or Ann Coulter.

I could go on; there's so much more. But perhaps even you get the point. Higher education is eminently worthy of being -- as you put it -- attacked.

Now, you wish to discuss President Bush? Fine. But then don't object when I bring up the inarticulate-ness of Barack Obama, who may well become the next president. Here, check out a few examples of it yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=237PLLQ0mgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUH_sUg1Sbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrsBKGpwi58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2Cg_FDRy4&feature=related

Would you like to continue this little exchange? If so, I await your reply.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Why bother? You're a stereotypical conservative, everyone else is wrong and you're right. The only point of view is the one you advocate. You talk a good game about free speech, but your post shows that you would ban or ignore everyone who doesn't share your narrow world view. That's the reason we're in the mess we're in right now!!

It's narrow minded people like you who drove me from the conservative movement a long time ago. As soon as someone disagrees with you, you automatically label them as a flaming liberal without bothering to take the time to understand their politics. America was founded on the free exchange of ideas, but people like you don't believe in the exchange of ideas, simply the indoctrination of people to your narrow minded ideas.

The liberals are idiots, their policies ate laughable and most of their representatives are elitist dolts who wouldn't know what real Americans looked like if they were dropped off in the middle of an Iowa corn farm. But since Bush took office, the conservatives have become just as bad. They've become arrogant and condescending when they speak. They put forward people like Ann Coulter who lack even the most rudimentary understanding of Americans and American history.

The most laughable things is your attack of "gun-free" zones on college campuses. Two students among the millions of college students in this country and people like you want to overreact and blame "liberal" philosophy for the idea. Let me tell you something my friend, I've been military training to shoot both the 9MM and the M-16. I for one, don't want half the people I meet on a daily basis carrying weapons because I promise you that there will be more shooting and killings than there are now.

But all this is probably wasted on you because your retort will no doubt be to call me a liberal and walk away. All that's going to prove is how out of touch with America you, and the people like you, have become.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:30 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Jeremy wrote:
Why bother? You're a stereotypical conservative, everyone else is wrong and you're right. The only point of view is the one you advocate. You talk a good game about free speech, but your post shows that you would ban or ignore everyone who doesn't share your narrow world view. That's the reason we're in the mess we're in right now!!

It's narrow minded people like you who drove me from the conservative movement a long time ago. As soon as someone disagrees with you, you automatically label them as a flaming liberal without bothering to take the time to understand their politics. America was founded on the free exchange of ideas, but people like you don't believe in the exchange of ideas, simply the indoctrination of people to your narrow minded ideas.

The liberals are idiots, their policies ate laughable and most of their representatives are elitist dolts who wouldn't know what real Americans looked like if they were dropped off in the middle of an Iowa corn farm. But since Bush took office, the conservatives have become just as bad. They've become arrogant and condescending when they speak. They put forward people like Ann Coulter who lack even the most rudimentary understanding of Americans and American history.

The most laughable things is your attack of "gun-free" zones on college campuses. Two students among the millions of college students in this country and people like you want to overreact and blame "liberal" philosophy for the idea. Let me tell you something my friend, I've been military training to shoot both the 9MM and the M-16. I for one, don't want half the people I meet on a daily basis carrying weapons because I promise you that there will be more shooting and killings than there are now.

But all this is probably wasted on you because your retort will no doubt be to call me a liberal and walk away. All that's going to prove is how out of touch with America you, and the people like you, have become.


I rest my case.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Bob in Boston wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Why bother? You're a stereotypical conservative, everyone else is wrong and you're right. The only point of view is the one you advocate. You talk a good game about free speech, but your post shows that you would ban or ignore everyone who doesn't share your narrow world view. That's the reason we're in the mess we're in right now!!

It's narrow minded people like you who drove me from the conservative movement a long time ago. As soon as someone disagrees with you, you automatically label them as a flaming liberal without bothering to take the time to understand their politics. America was founded on the free exchange of ideas, but people like you don't believe in the exchange of ideas, simply the indoctrination of people to your narrow minded ideas.

The liberals are idiots, their policies ate laughable and most of their representatives are elitist dolts who wouldn't know what real Americans looked like if they were dropped off in the middle of an Iowa corn farm. But since Bush took office, the conservatives have become just as bad. They've become arrogant and condescending when they speak. They put forward people like Ann Coulter who lack even the most rudimentary understanding of Americans and American history.

The most laughable things is your attack of "gun-free" zones on college campuses. Two students among the millions of college students in this country and people like you want to overreact and blame "liberal" philosophy for the idea. Let me tell you something my friend, I've been military training to shoot both the 9MM and the M-16. I for one, don't want half the people I meet on a daily basis carrying weapons because I promise you that there will be more shooting and killings than there are now.

But all this is probably wasted on you because your retort will no doubt be to call me a liberal and walk away. All that's going to prove is how out of touch with America you, and the people like you, have become.


I rest my case.


Exactly what I expect expected out of you. I don't agree with you, so I must be wrong.

And then you sit and wonder why the Republicans are dying as a political party. You reap what you sow.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1486
Permit me to veer off the subject.

I know I am seen as a nut here as I think 9-11 was an inside job and secret organizations (world's elite) rule the world. To me almost all news from the corporate media is propaganda. I'll spout off my opinions here despite being labeled as a conspiracy wacko. :lol:

Both parties are capitalists. They don't differ all that much in the grand scheme. Yes, Republicans are against abortion (I'm personally shocked that those partial birth abortions are allowed) and supposedly for family values (yet their mouthpiece Fox network airs garbage like "Family Guy") and Democrats are more likely to defend the poor (though they exploit them to stay in office.) These politicians belong to the same country clubs regardless of party in the end. I just don't know why it's necessary for our elected officials to be millionaires. Of course they will serve the corporations first.

How exactly are the Clintons to the far left? They don't care about the working class any more than the Bushes. All that talk about universal healthcare was garbage. Bill Clinton bombed Iraq, taking the lives of hundreds of civilians in the same way any Republican president would have. He was actually worse. He maintained economic sanctions on that country which helped to kill tens of thousands of Iraqi children. Bill should have been impeached and tried for war crimes (just as both Bushes should have.)

Clinton talked NATO into bombing the former Yugoslavia, took the lives of civilians, created streams of refugees.. yes, that was a tricky situation but we never question other countries with brutal regimes. Turkey has some of the worst human rights numbers of any country but they're our ally. Meanwhile Clinton and his accomplices helped kill more people than Slobodan Milosevic ever did.

I voted for Ralph Nader (he wasn't even on the ballot in Ohio.) Did that help Bush win? I just couldn't, with a clear conscience, get my hand to punch Clinton's hole on the ballot (I'd probably leave a hanging chad anyway!) I do believe that voting is important (certainly on the local scene) but I understand George Carlin when he says that he shouldn't be blamed because he didn't vote. Anyway all that electoral college stuff is crap. And the fact that alternative parties are not allowed equal time in the media is ridiculous. The public might veer away from

My favorite politician is my own congressman here in Cleveland, Mr. Dennis Kucinich. The media makes him out to be a nut so of course he stood no chance in presidential caucuses or primaries. He is one guy who actually fights for the common man and I've been proud to shake his hand at the 4th of July Parade many times.

Anyway about Tim Russert.. I don't generally pay attention to corporate news but he seemed like a nice guy. He went to school here in Cleveland.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
And then you sit and wonder why the Republicans are dying as a political party. You reap what you sow.

It's spelled "sew," not "sow." A sow is a female pig.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:20 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Jeremy wrote:
The liberals are idiots, their policies ate laughable and most of their representatives are elitist dolts who wouldn't know what real Americans looked like if they were dropped off in the middle of an Iowa corn farm. But since Bush took office, the conservatives have become just as bad.



I couldn't have said the first part better myself. As for the second part, replace "conservatives" with "republicans", and again I would agree. But there is a large, very large group of conservatives who can't stand Bush and his brand of "conservatism", which, IMO, isn't conservative at all. Its more like "religious nut job".

And Ollie, you just leave Family Guy out of this.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
And then you sit and wonder why the Republicans are dying as a political party. You reap what you sow.

It's spelled "sew," not "sow." A sow is a female pig.


It's hard to maintain good spelling when you're writing in anger. ;)

Quote:
As for the second part, replace "conservatives" with "republicans", and again I would agree.


The two have become interchangeable. The proof of that being the candidacy of one Senator John McCain. The conservatives who seem to favor a return to honest conservative values are no longer the majority. Further proof is in how far Mike Huckabee got in his Presidential campaign.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:57 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Jeremy wrote:
Quote:
As for the second part, replace "conservatives" with "republicans", and again I would agree.


The two have become interchangeable. The proof of that being the candidacy of one Senator John McCain. The conservatives who seem to favor a return to honest conservative values are no longer the majority. Further proof is in how far Mike Huckabee got in his Presidential campaign.


Oh, so earlier you say that Bob is wrong to automatically label everyone who disagrees with him as a liberal, and yet now you tell us conservatives are all republicans. Nothing like throwing around labels.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4767
Location: Pittsburgh
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
And then you sit and wonder why the Republicans are dying as a political party. You reap what you sow.

It's spelled "sew," not "sow." A sow is a female pig.

No, he's right. You sow seed, then you reap the harvest.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sow

Are there any other languages like English, where you can have three different words like so/sew/sow that are pronounced the same, but spelled differently?

Of course, I'm from Pittsburgh. It's quite possible that they ARE pronounced differently in other dialects. :D

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4767
Location: Pittsburgh
Ollie wrote:
I know I am seen as a nut here as I think 9-11 was an inside job and secret organizations (world's elite) rule the world.

Here is why I think that both of those theories are highly unlikely to be true: both would have to involve hundreds of conspirators at minimum. It is almost impossible to keep anything secret when there are that many people who know the truth.

As to whether or not you're a nut, well, let's face it. You're such a big Pirates fan that you actually take the time to post at a Pirates forum. You're a nut alright, just like the rest of us.

Quote:
To me almost all news from the corporate media is propaganda. I'll spout off my opinions here despite being labeled as a conspiracy wacko. :lol:

Whether it is propaganda or not is irrelevant. News is entertainment designed to sell advertising. Your best bet is to get your news from as many different sources as you can, then use your best judgment as to what the facts are.

Quote:
How exactly are the Clintons to the far left?

In the sixties or seventies, they wouldn't have been considered far left at all. The political pendulum is always in motion. It reached the far right in the 2002 or 2004 elections, and now it's swinging back the other way. My politics have changed very little over the last 30 years. In the 1980s I had friends who called me a "poor Republican", and they meant it as an insult. Those same friends now think I'm way out on the left somewhere. It wasn't MY positions that changed, though.

Quote:
I do believe that voting is important (certainly on the local scene) but I understand George Carlin when he says that he shouldn't be blamed because he didn't vote.

I love Carlin, but he's full of shite on that one.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: NBC Journalist Tim Russert Died
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Quote:
As for the second part, replace "conservatives" with "republicans", and again I would agree.


The two have become interchangeable. The proof of that being the candidacy of one Senator John McCain. The conservatives who seem to favor a return to honest conservative values are no longer the majority. Further proof is in how far Mike Huckabee got in his Presidential campaign.


Oh, so earlier you say that Bob is wrong to automatically label everyone who disagrees with him as a liberal, and yet now you tell us conservatives are all republicans. Nothing like throwing around labels.


No, read what I wrote. I said the two terms have become interchangeable, I didn't say they were the same thing. I have friends who are Consevatives (think Dick Lugar) and friends who are Republicans (think John McCain). I know there is a deep and very real divide between the two. But as I tell my Conservative friends, it's their fault that the party had drifted so far astray because they're the ones who have sat back and allowed the Republicans to pervert the core mission and philosophy of the party.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits