Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This just in.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:40 pm 

PITTSBURGH (AP): In a stunning announcement, coming just on the heels of President of the United STates Barack Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs has declared the Pittsburgh Pirates the 2010 Central Division Champions before a single game has been played.

Said a league spokesman, "The Pirates have aquired an impressive array of young talent and a fully stocked minor league system. Since there is no way that group of talented youngsters could do anything but succeed, we have decided to award them the Central Division crown."

Post subject: Re: This just in.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

In my opinion, if this was supposed to be funny it was a big...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Well played Henry Clay Sr., you got a laugh out of me! The aura of the Nobel Peace Prize took a gigantic tumble today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:

No, wait: This is hilarious. The vote was taken in February, which means The One had been in office less than a month when he won. So basically the Nobel voters rewarded him for . . . his campaign, inauguration address, and the appointment of some tax cheats to his cabinet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:46 pm 

This is the fourth time in history an American Prersident has received this award. Seems like you think that is a bad thing. You are an American aren't you ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:30 pm 

I liked it better when the world perceived our president as a gun slingin', inarticulate idiot. That's how the Leader of the Free World should be perceived.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 pm 

I liked it better when the political banter was limited to the water cooler so that I only bothered reading it when I got really sloshed. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
I liked it better when the world perceived our president as a gun slingin', inarticulate idiot. That's how the Leader of the Free World should be perceived.

Perception being the key word here, I think.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:20 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
This is the fourth time in history an American Prersident has received this award. Seems like you think that is a bad thing. You are an American aren't you ?

Only two others received the award while still in office: Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

Roosevelt won the award in 1906 for his role in negotiating the treaty of Portsmouth in 1905. The treaty of Portsmouth ended the Russia-Japan war. He did not pick up the award until 1910, because he did not feel right in accepting the award while still holding office.

Wilson won the Nobel prize in 1920 for his role in bringing about an end to the first World War and for founding the League of Nations in 1919.

Jimmy Carter won the Nobel prize in 2002, 22 years after he was voted out of office. He won the award for his efforts to bring about progress in the Middle East, and in particular for the Camp David accords.

I really do not believe that there is any comparison for the award to Obama after a very brief time in office and with no great accomplishment on his resume.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:58 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Only two others received the award while still in office: Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

Roosevelt won the award in 1906 for his role in negotiating the treaty of Portsmouth in 1905. The treaty of Portsmouth ended the Russia-Japan war. He did not pick up the award until 1910, because he did not feel right in accepting the award while still holding office.

Wilson won the Nobel prize in 1920 for his role in bringing about an end to the first World War and for founding the League of Nations in 1919.

Jimmy Carter won the Nobel prize in 2002, 22 years after he was voted out of office. He won the award for his efforts to bring about progress in the Middle East, and in particular for the Camp David accords.

I really do not believe that there is any comparison for the award to Obama after a very brief time in office and with no great accomplishment on his resume.

As a supporter of Obama, I have to agree. By the time the Nobel committee had voted on the award, Obama's greatest accomplishment was winning a presidential election. Obama's accomplishments thus far are in no way commensurate with those of Roosevelt, Wilson, or Carter, and I think that is what bugs me the most. It seems like the Nobel committee gave him the award for not being George W. Bush, and that cheapens the value of the award in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:17 pm 

Willton wrote:
Obama's accomplishments thus far are in no way commensurate with those of Roosevelt, Wilson, or Carter, and I think that is what bugs me the most. It seems like the Nobel committee gave him the award for not being George W. Bush, and that cheapens the value of the award in my opinion.

That perfectly sums up my feelings.

On the other hand, the Nobel Prize(s) have seemingly lost their notoriety in our society (sadly). I challenge you to name 5 of the past 20 winners of the Peace Prize. I would guess the average American might be able to name 2 (including Obama). To be fair, I wouldn't be able to name 5 of the Medicine or Chemistry winners, even though I've met at least 2 of them. This choice has certainly generated a lot of publicity. I would hope that wasn't the committee's intention, because that amounts to essentially "selling out", but that's what it looks like to me. Regardless of your feelings on Obama, he has done nothing to merit what should be a very prestigious award.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:31 am 
 WWW  Profile

Bob in Boston wrote:
cappscrew138 wrote:

No, wait: This is hilarious. The vote was taken in February, which means The One had been in office less than a month when he won. So basically the Nobel voters rewarded him for . . . his campaign, inauguration address, and the appointment of some tax cheats to his cabinet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need to stay up on my current events...now it makes sense to me!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I just find the irony hilarious in juxtaposing the headlines "Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize" on the same day "The US Bombs the Moon".

Bucfan wrote:

Jimmy Carter won the Nobel prize in 2002, 22 years after he was voted out of office. He won the award for his efforts to bring about progress in the Middle East, and in particular for the Camp David accords...

Not quite on this one. I believe he won it for his anti-nuklar intercessory efforts in North Korea that led to the accords that allowed N Korea to go nuklar.

And, for not being a Bush. That, of course, if the greatest qualification for the current committee. Or one must make a movie that purports to show the end of the world by global warming that is so factually incorrect as to be dismissed in a court of law.

And, don't be a Bush.

Its sad that such a prestigious award has become the plaything of the progressive elites. Political gobbledygook passes for accomplishment now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:20 am 

((getting back on soapbox.. I apologize as this is not sports related.))

Woodrow Wilson in retrospect was one of our worst presidents. He's the one who signed into law (and supposedly later regretted) the Federal Reserve Act, allowing Wall Street to take control of our economic system.

And Obama winning the award is a complete joke.

On Sunday nights I listen to a local reggae radio show. When a renowned Pan-Africanist was interviewed last weekend listeners were shocked to hear him degrade Obama. I was not.

I am still shocked at some of the things our president said in his Kenya speech, that Africa's underdevelopment has nothing to do with colonialism and neo-colonialism. My jaw dropped when I heard that.

That was shocking to Africans! If he has that kind of revisionist view of the world isn't it clear that he's just another classist New World Order type? Obama blaims corruption for causing Africa's problems.

I read about Africa constantly. The European governments carved up the whole continent. Africans could not fight the white man, with our guns. It was easy to control them then and we (the west.. Europe/U.S. and China now) still have control of the continent (despite so-called independence of nation states.)

Oil companies hold all the clout in countries like Nigeria. Diamonds in South Africa.. tin for our Coke cans in the Congo.. These corporations have the backing of military regimes, many which we support. We and Russia both supported dictators throughout the Cold War.. capilitalsm, communism are just words to people who have so little. Corruption comes from both systems.

We allow U.S. corporations to dump radioactive waste in Burkina Faso.. chemicals dumped in the rivers of Chad.. our CIA regularly squashes coups against dictators like King Hassan of Morocco (who rules with an iron fist in a country with 95% poverty and 20% unemployment rate.) The CIA assassinates democratically elected leaders and installs madmen like Mobuto Sese Seko in the Congo. We even funded Idi Amin, his regime one of the most brutal. Sadly there are too many examples to count and I haven't touched on Latin America or Asia.

As president it's clearly Mr. Obama's job to promote and defend the interests of the United States and not Africans, but it's the banks, corporations and investors he really defends. Like past presidents he's a Harvard man, and these Ivy Leaguers understand how the world works. Obama knows the history of Africa.. and America. (And incidentally while Obama's face is popular in Africa, Hugo Chavez' image is just as popular.. on T-shirts, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:33 am 

The issue to me is not whether Obama is deserving of the award. While my "gut" tells me that he is not, I don't pretend to have cared about the Nobel Peace Award at any time nor do I pretend to know upon what criteria the award is given.

The issue to me is the outrage expressed by those who now suddenly care about the selection process and who is bestowed with the award. I'm having a hard time believing that most, if not all, of the political commenters who are expressing outrage and screaming from the mountaintops gave a "rat's ass" about the award before yesterday.

You know what? I follow Iowa Hawkeye football pretty closely. If the team would have awarded the team MVP to anyone other than Shonn Greene last year, I would have been shocked and talked to my fellow Hawkeye fans about the unfair result.

But, I really don't care about and have never followed the NHL. So . . if the league awards the MVP to Syndey Crosby, I could care less. It would be hypocritical for me to act outraged and to scream about the unjustness of the NHL.

But, I guess if ratings are at stake and you have a massive audience looking for fuel to add to the fire and millions are at stake, you can build up outrage and feed the hatred. And . . . it happens on both sides . . . and it is nauseating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:45 am 

The Nobel Peace Prize just turned into the Gold Glove Awards...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:11 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The issue to me is not whether Obama is deserving of the award. While my "gut" tells me that he is not, I don't pretend to have cared about the Nobel Peace Award at any time nor do I pretend to know upon what criteria the award is given.

The issue to me is the outrage expressed by those who now suddenly care about the selection process and who is bestowed with the award. I'm having a hard time believing that most, if not all, of the political commenters who are expressing outrage and screaming from the mountaintops gave a "rat's ass" about the award before yesterday.

You know what? I follow Iowa Hawkeye football pretty closely. If the team would have awarded the team MVP to anyone other than Shonn Greene last year, I would have been shocked and talked to my fellow Hawkeye fans about the unfair result.

But, I really don't care about and have never followed the NHL. So . . if the league awards the MVP to Syndey Crosby, I could care less. It would be hypocritical for me to act outraged and to scream about the unjustness of the NHL.

But, I guess if ratings are at stake and you have a massive audience looking for fuel to add to the fire and millions are at stake, you can build up outrage and feed the hatred. And . . . it happens on both sides . . . and it is nauseating.

Couldn't agree more about the American "journalists" who are screaming critically of this selection.

Truth is he probably got the award because he has changed the attitude of the world toward the U.S. We have returned to the country of ideals and principles and away from the bully power who tries to make everyone conform to our commands. Even when (and certainly not now) short term gains are achieved they never last.

Is Rush a patriot?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:01 pm 

I am with you N0. 9, who cares? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:38 am 

Quote:
Truth is he probably got the award because he has changed the attitude of the world toward the U.S. We have returned to the country of ideals and principles and away from the bully power who tries to make everyone conform to our commands. Even when (and certainly not now) short term gains are achieved they never last.

You mean America went from being the tough guy beating up the bullys' (Terrorists) to the wusses that give their lunch money to the bully. Great attitude adjustment! Kudos to Prez Obama for making us a bunch of flower in the hair, tree huggin', hippy sissies.

For that matter, I think he deserves a Gold Glove, an All-Star selection, and sent to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:09 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:

You mean America went from being the tough guy beating up the bullys' (Terrorists) to the wusses that give their lunch money to the bully. Great attitude adjustment! Kudos to Prez Obama for making us a bunch of flower in the hair, tree huggin', hippy sissies.

For that matter, I think he deserves a Gold Glove, an All-Star selection, and sent to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl!

Little do you realize that before Obama, we were the bully. Honestly, if we were such heroes during Bush's presidency, then why did nobody like us?